Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The…

Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide (edition 2019)

by Karen Kilgariff (Author)

4712038,922 (4.01)2
"The highly anticipated first book by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, the voices behind the #1 hit podcast My Favorite Murder! Sharing never-before-heard stories ranging from their struggles with depression, eating disorders, and addiction, Karen and Georgia irreverently recount their biggest mistakes and deepest fears, reflecting on the formative life events that shaped them into two of the most followed voices in the nation. In Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered, Karen and Georgia focus on the importance of self-advocating and valuing personal safety over being 'nice' or 'helpful.' They delve into their own pasts, true crime stories, and beyond to discuss meaningful cultural and societal issues with fierce empathy and unapologetic frankness."--Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:strawberryplur
Title:Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
Authors:Karen Kilgariff (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2019), 304 pages

Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide by Karen Kilgariff

Recently added byEllewynne, Arina42, bookfiend13, private library, cyscaine, katelindsey, Tbrook13, Kathryn27, hmfrady

Love the podcast, did not love the book. ( )
  Iira | Jan 24, 2021 |
DNF at 58%

This is a perfect example of me grabbing a book based solely on its hype. Even my library hold was roughly 6 months! Unfortunately, I was not the right audience for this book. I am not a "Murderino" and do not enjoy investigating or discussing the gruesome details associated with murders, car wrecks, etc. I don't stop to look when someone has flipped their car and paramedics are on the scene, and I don't follow murder investigations or voice my opinion on cold cases. However, I have enjoyed shows like Bones and NCIS in the past, so I didn't go into this book totally blind about its content.

Additionally, I didn't think the authors were very funny. They would pause after jokes and punch lines (if they were reading in front of a crowd or an audience), like they were expecting people to laugh. I kept imagining someone holding up a sign that let people know when they were supposed to. I'm also not opposed to cursing, because I believe words are words and it's all about intent, but they dropped f-bombs just to see how they would land. The language served no purpose and didn't add anything to the story.

It's been a while since I read this, and I honestly cannot remember much else about the story. I know they shared some of their childhood experiences (being a latchkey kid, trusting the wrong guy and being taken advantage of, saying yes and being amendable because that's what you've been taught to do as a girl in this world), but they weren't stories that really resonated with me. I could understand what they were saying - - have even experienced some of those things myself - - but their personal experiences weren't anything like mine. They had some pretty unbelievable stories, too. I kept thinking, "This was someone's life?" Even if those were truly their experiences, they were hard for me to relate to.

Paul Giamatti is one of the narrators! He has a small role (based on what I actually listened to), but I've always like him.

One thing I did like about this book was its positive spin on therapy. People believe they're broken if they seek out a therapist, but our mental health should be just as important as our physical health. Having a professional to talk to can really improve your relationships, including the one you have with yourself. (★★☆☆☆)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 16, 2020 |
K & G make my heart grow and I hope I turn out just like them when I grow up ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
From the first word, I thought I’d hate this book. I’m so not a “Hiiiiieeee” girl, but this book was awesome, insightful, empowering. I signed up for their podcast as soon as I closed the cover. ( )
  sishpa | Apr 25, 2020 |
I don't think I was quite the target audience here, being male and all; but still, I enjoyed reading the story. This is much less a memoir than a collection of articles, which is fine, but I would like to have seen more relation between the separate articles. Not a bad read at all, but if you're not familiar with the rapport and conversational idiosyncrasies of each writer from the podcast it would make it rather difficult to read indeed - they write like they speak, which is quite often hard to follow if you're not thinking about their cadences in your head!

I do appreciate the attempt to "change the dialogue" away from victim blaming; however, I also think it's dangerous to shift the attention off of the things people (especially women) can do to help protect themselves - I agree: a woman didn't get murdered, someone murdered her; but in that same vein, "the right to expect a reasonable amount of safety" should always be accompanied by a plan to protect oneself, male or female.

I don't walk alone at 2 o'clock in the morning in a shitty part of Detroit - but if I did, am I asking to be murdered? Of course not. But are the risks still there? Definitely.

While we are all hoping our culture will evolve away from meaningless crime, especially those committed toward women, I find it dangerous to suggest that people don't need or shouldn't have to take any precautions to help protect themselves and to avoid putting oneself in a situation where risks for violent crimes are heightened.

Still, I'm glad that these two wonderful ladies are working toward bringing these situations to light so that we can all learn a bit more about the evils that are lurking - but really, what's the point of learning about these evils if we're not going to do more to ensure our own safety? Clearly the "system" isn't doing that for us! ( )
  Tripaway | Apr 17, 2020 |

Karen Kilgariffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hardstark, Georgiamain authorall editionsconfirmed
KAREN
For Norah Grace
GEORGIA
In memory of Kim Murpy Friedman,
who therapized me through the writing of this book.
This book is dedicated to all the Murderinos out there. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Thank you.
Oh, hiiiiieee!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,765,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible