Aya by Marguerite Abouet

English (25)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
I've read a lot of African literature, but not comics about Africa. This was a fun read. While I thought I didn't care for the art at first, it really did work well with the story and it grew on me by the end. ( )
  EllsbethB | Mar 27, 2016 |
Living in Africa, I can say that this Graphic book is an accurate depiction of life in many cases. I think the culture shared, and the topic of sexuality is portrayed with care. I would recommend this book to a high school teacher. The illustrations ae colorful and dynamic.

This could be used in a social studies class or health class. Many different aspects to discuss ( )
  MarkNolan | Jan 28, 2016 |
I love every single one of the Aya books and I wish there were more. The artwork by Clement Oubrerie is so bursting with colour and life that I can almost hear the noise of the busy, bustling Yop City and feel the warmth of the West African sun on my pasty Canadian skin.

Abouet said she wanted to counter the negative stereotypes of Africa she saw repeated over and over in the media with the happy memories of her childhood in prosperous 1970's Cote d'Ivoire, and she succeeded. Yop City seems like a place full of the warm, tight-knit family and social bonds that so many of us in Western society now lack. Happiness beams through on every funny and entertaining page and you feel good when you're reading an Aya book. When you're finished, you feel a pang and wish there were ten or twenty more to read.

Highly recommended! ( )
  EnidaV | Oct 22, 2015 |
Kirjan piirrokset ovat taiteellisesti erittäin korkeatasoisia. Draaman kaari ei kuitenkaan erityisesti säväytä. Teos tuo afrikkalaisesta kulttuurista esiin länsimaisen silmin joitain yllättäviä piirteitä. ( )
  JonPoh | Dec 11, 2014 |
This was wonderful, a slice-of-life look at Ivory Coast in 1978, and three friends, young women, two of whom are interested in romantic adventures and one of whom is serious about her studies. I just loved having a glimpse into everyday life in urban Africa during peacetime. (Sad to think about what lay in Ivory Coast's future.) Details I noticed--how the various families in the city have living with them cousins from the villages in the countryside, how the girls do washing in tubs in the courtyard of the house, what the secret rendezvous point for lovers looked like--stuff like that--plus how an unexpected pregnancy is handled. And at the back of the book are some recipes, plus how to tie a pagne (wrap-around skirt, but also used for a wrap-around headscarf). ( )
  FrancescaForrest | May 12, 2014 |

Aya tells the story of the studious and clear-sighted young woman, her easy-going friends Adjuoa and Bintou, and their meddling relatives and neighbors in the golden time of the Ivory Coast in 1978.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible