One Man's Wilderness, 50th Anniversary…

One Man's Wilderness, 50th Anniversary Edition: An Alaskan Odyssey (edition 2018)

by Richard Louis Proenneke (Author), Nick Offerman (Foreword)

1910779,590 (4.68)None
Member:yalanda
Title:One Man's Wilderness, 50th Anniversary Edition: An Alaskan Odyssey
Authors:Richard Louis Proenneke (Author)
Other authors:Nick Offerman (Foreword)
Info:Alaska Northwest Books (2018), Edition: Anniversary, 272 pages

One Man's Wilderness, 50th Anniversary Edition: An Alaskan Odyssey by Richard Louis Proenneke

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've spent some solitary time in the northern Montana wilderness, working as a fire lookout, so this book pulled at me -- and it turned out to be everything I'd anticipated. The volume is considered a classic of twentieth-century wilderness writing -- a story simultaneously evoking a sense of pioneering, of escape, and of appreciation for an unspoiled world.

One Man's Wilderness is an edited diary of sixteen months in the live of a most remarkable man, who went alone into the Alaska backcountry to build a solitary cabin and a life for himself. The style is matter-of-fact, but still conveying a strong sense of the amazing adventure and glorious setting; the author's accompanying photographs are lovely, compelling, and informative. It's an wonderful story, and a story well told. It would be hard to finish the volume and not feel feel both envy and longing, for the man's adventure, his accomplishments, and his skill. Perhaps the most remarkable part of the story, though, is that it continued for decades after the end of this volume's narrative -- the diary's author spent some thirty years living in that cabin.

Very highly recommended. ( )
  MarkHufstetler | Mar 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Richard Proenneke sought out to do the one thing that every person can only dream of doing: leaving the urban life behind, building a place of their own, and living completely off the grid. He picked the frigid northwest as his sanctuary, vying for the isolation of the untouched wilderness of Twin Lakes, Alaska. He built his beautiful cabin alone with only the animals to converse with, and the occasional visit from his friend Babe via plane replete with necessary food and equipment. Proenneke's journals provide us with his whimsical view on nature, his appreciation of the wild, and his optimism when faced with adversity. His photos are envious, and it is hard to not want to read this book outdoors, under a tree, while looking at the world a little more closely. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Feb 25, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
THIS book is right up my alley! I love outdoorsy books, and stories about people with a strong and determined drive to succeed in life doing what they love. Then journey of this man's life is amazing to me. I am SO thankful that I won this through and librarything giveaway! It's a favorite of mine for sure. ( )
  patsaintsfan | Feb 20, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved this book! Reading Dick's journal about a quiet life in Alaska made me want to do the same - although I have not one of the skills in Dick's repetoire - few people would! This book made me want to find out more about Dick's life and time in Alaska. I hope to watch the documentary and visit his cabin someday! ( )
  katiehuber | Dec 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a classic and for good reason. Written in easy to read language, and not at all boring, we get to learn about real Alaska and just what it would be like to live all alone in the wilderness. Filled with stories (like the one about the baby elk) that he went through on a day to day basis, you feel like maybe you could try living this way too. This edition is the newest one, filled with color photographs. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in homesteading, Alaska, or just for a good read. 4.5 stars. ( )
  eshaw27 | Dec 11, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Richard Louis Proenneke's book One Man's Wilderness An Alaskan Odyssey, 50th Anniversary Edition is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible