The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past,…

The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the… (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Ryder Carroll (Author)

For years, Ryder Carroll tried countless organizing systems, online and off, but none of them fit the way his mind worked. Out of sheer necessity, he developed a method called the Bullet Journal that helped him become consistently focused and effective. When he started sharing his system with friends who faced similar challenges, it went viral. Just a few years later, to his astonishment, Bullet Journaling is a global movement. The Bullet Journal Method is about much more than organizing your notes and to-do lists. It's about what Carroll calls "intentional living": weeding out distractions and focusing your time and energy in pursuit of what's truly meaningful, in both your work and your personal life. It's about spending more time with what you care about, by working on fewer things. Carroll wrote this book for frustrated list-makers, overwhelmed multitaskers, and creatives who need some structure. Whether you've used a Bullet Journal for years or have never seen one before, The Bullet Journal Method will help you go from passenger to pilot of your own life.… (more)
Member:leeanne.pedersen
Title:The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
Authors:Ryder Carroll (Author)
Info:Portfolio (2018), 320 pages
Collections:Currently reading

The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future by Ryder Carroll (2018)

Recently added byDollo, private library, drudmann, jellyfishjones, Jepyn, PCHcruzr, Pelayo, ixnay, spinsterrevival

A journaler and master list maker for years, I started using a modified version of Bullet Journaling a few months ago. Then I decided to actually read the book. As a result, I've modified my approach to be much closer aligned with the structure Ryder Carroll presents, one that is remarkably similar to my '80's Day Timer system. Basically, BuJo (as it is affectionately known) is a well-engineered system for capturing every thought you need to capture in a systematic and short form fashion.

But it is so much more than that. What surprised me most was the depth of analysis and clarity of thought around the topic of life, and how we manage it in ways large and small. Much more than a “how to journal” book, it is in many ways a manual for life. In part, Carroll challenges us to ask the right questions. That is where the journey to discovery begins. From there we plan, track, and record the days and patterns of our life. BuJo is not intended to be a diary or arts project, although many adherents follow that path. That’s awesome. Make it whatever you wish it to be, but do not lose sight of its primary function and benefits in the process.

BuJo is above all else a personal productivity system, one that actually works. Apply a little bit of thought, reflection, and discipline and you will be encouraged if not amazed at the clarity it brings.

The system’s key advantages are threefold: its protocols are well designed, it is simple, and it is flexible. I was looking for a system that provides structure and flexibility, and I found it in BuJo. I use the system for managing the day-to-day details of life and projects, and I do my long form journaling in it as well. And for the record, yes, I do sometimes doodle in the margins. ( )
  PCHcruzr | Oct 7, 2019 |
The Bullet Journal Method is a book by Ryder Carroll. It describes an innovative way of taking notes to organize and manage your life. Now, this is my first foray into the wild world of the Bullet Journal. When I was in school, they tried to teach me a method of taking notes that seems similar. My biggest issue was that I am not good at keeping up with such things, and it fell to the wayside for me.

Carroll was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder as a child. When this happened, not much was known about ADD since it was the 1980s. In that regard, Carroll was forced to eliminate unnecessary information from his notes and develop this particular system. The main ideas involve writing in a paper notebook by hand and organizing the information in a manner that allows for quick retrieval. The important part is that you do it by hand and not by typing. Apparently, that focuses your mind on the gist of what you want to say since it takes so long to form letters with handwriting.

People use their Bullet Journals for a variety of tasks. Since they are adaptable, they can be changed to suit almost any purpose. The only limit is your imagination. Carroll says that it is best to try the system for at least two to three months. This makes it so that you have to take on a process called Migration.

I took this book out from the Library since it seemed interesting and I was not disappointed in the least. The only problem with the method is that you actually have to put in the effort, and I can’t think of anything to actually write. I could write about books that I have read, but I already do that. I am not a compulsive list maker either. In any case, the book was really well done. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Sep 19, 2019 |
Dit boek vond ik geweldig. Het omvatte meer dan ik oorspronkelijk had verwacht. In eerste instantie dacht ik dat het voornamelijk zou gaan over de Bullet Journal methode in praktische termen en de geschiedenis van de ontwikkeling ervan. En hoewel die dingen ook in het boek verwerkt zijn, bevat dit boek zó veel meer nuttige informatie dat het moeilijk is alles te omvatten.

Delen drie en vier in dit boek leggen ook uit hoe de methode gebruikt kan worden voor allerlei vormen van zelf-verbetering, omgaan met depressie, stress en/of andere mentale ziekten, etc., en zij bevatten ook verhalen van echte mensen die worstelden met een bepaald probleem of bepaalde problemen, en hoe zij van daaruit een oplossing or partijk hebben ontwikkelt m.b.v. het BuJo.

Om een voorbeeld te geven, een moeder met een kind dat verschillende aandoeningen had en een epileptische toeval kreeg, die te geëmotioneerd was om te hulpverleners verbaal bij te staan, maar achterin haar BuJo alle relevante medische informatie van haar zoon had opgeschreven, aandoeningen, medicatie, eerdere aanvallen, ziekenhuisopnames, bloedgroep, alles, welk ze dan uitscheurde en aan de hulpverleners overhandigde zodat zij over alle nodige informatie beschikten om haar zoon te helpen.

Ik koos dit voorbeeld imdat het een is dat me het meest heeft aangegrepen en is bijgebleven, maar ook andere verhalen worden in dit boek verwerkt over hoe mensen met een bepaalde spread in hun Bullet Journal zijn begonnen om hun problemen te verwerken en/of overkomen. Waarvan er verschillende zijn die ook mij zouden kunnen helpen omdat ik ook met die problemen worstel. Ik zal dit boek dus nog eens moeten doornemen in die respectieve secties en kijken hoe ik de praktijken die daarin besproken worden kan integreren in mijn BuJo-praktijk.

Kort samengevat vind ik dit boek een absolute must-read voor iedereen die de BuJo-methode gebruikt, of erover denkt er mee te beginnen. Je zal er zeer zeker iets in vinden dat je kan helpen in je eigen leven. ( )
  AMartinios | Sep 16, 2019 |
Very nice introduction to bullet journaling. I like the buddhist leaning ideas. Also some good insipration for journalling such as threading and www.calendex.com ( )
  jvgravy | Jun 29, 2019 |
The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future is written by Ryder Carroll, who is the founder of the Bullet Journal® (yes, it’s trademarked) and the website bulletjournal.com.

Before reading this book, I was vaguely aware that there was an official bullet journal website, but what I learned about bullet journalling came from other bloggers and from Pinterest. It turns out my journal is very different from a Bullet Journal®.

Bullet Journalling was a system the author came up with for his own use. He writes that he had ADD, so he had problems with focus and getting easily distracted. The Bullet Journal is part task list, part journal, and part planner, and the author explains that it brings together productivity, mindfulness, and intentionality.

The main elements of a bullet journal are:

the index, which goes at the beginning of the journal
future logs, for tasks to do in upcoming months
monthly log
daily log
collections, which are pages devoted to a specific topic
In the book all of these terms where capitalized, and to be honest I found that a little bit annoying.

Carroll describes the process of rapid logging, which involves concise notes using symbols for clarity. Tasks are listed as bullets, and symbols are used to give additional information. Subtasks can be nested under tasks as needed, or moved to their own collection.

The author suggests that each day you briefly make note of everything that’s happened, preferably right after events or interactions have occurred, since our memories are unreliable and being able to look back later may give us some new insights. He also suggests doing a reflection each morning and afternoon.

There are explanations of how to set up new monthly logs each month and “migrate” any leftover tasks from the previous month. There are also a number of suggestions for “Collections”, including goals, gratitude, challenges, and more involved tasks like vacation planning.

Throughout the book there was a focus on productivity, organization, and prioritization. There is also an emphasis on self-reflection, and the way that writing thing down can help, especially when they’re being rewritten as they’re migrated from one part of the journal to another.

While the author observed that he’s seen some people get very artistic with bullet journalling, that hasn’t been a priority for him. The book includes plenty of diagrams, but they are functional rather than aiming to be aesthetically pleasing.

What really struck me was that a journal wouldn’t last very long if you were throwing all your everyday stuff in there. The author admits that he goes through 3-4 notebooks per year.

While personally I’m not interested in using my journal as a day planner and a home for basic tasks lists, it was interesting to learn about the idea that inspired whatever hybrid mutt version I’m using right now. ( )
  MH_at_home | Jun 19, 2019 |
To my parents for just about everything.
To the Bullet Journal community for daring.
Ryder
The mystery box arrived unannounced.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,767,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible