Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches'…

Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide (edition 2018)

by Ami McKay (Author)

1021,245,461 (4.38)None
Member:Twink
Title:Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide
Authors:Ami McKay (Author)
Info:Knopf Canada (2018), 112 pages
Rating:*****

Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide (Ami McKay's Witches) by Ami McKay

No tags.

A delicious and charming little yuletide tale, perfect for Christmas stockings. You can read the book in about an hour. This book is a sequel to The Witches of New York and readers of that book will enjoy another tale of the 3 extraordinary women in Witches. The book is still a good standalone story and it is not necessary to have read the previous book. ( )
  bhowell | Nov 8, 2018 |
I adore Ami McKay's writing. I settled myself into my favourite reading chair with a cup of tea on a windblown night to read her latest - a novella entitled Half-Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide.

1881. This historical (and yes, magical) tale is wrapped around the three New York witches from the book of the same name. As the women are sat around the fire, divining what the New Year might hold, three invitations arrive for a New Year's Eve Masquerade Ball from a woman known to none of them. Should they attend?

"Christmas Day has come and gone, the New Year lies ahead. Strange things happen Between the Years, in the days outside of time."

I enjoyed revisiting Adelaide, Eleanor and Beatrice. I've grown quite fond of them. Half Spent Was the Night picks up not long after the ending of the last book. Answers and revelations to previous questions and happenings are found in this little volume. But not all - there is still much to tell.

A sense of enchantment and wonderment wraps the descriptions, the dialogue, the settings and the characters. McKay's writing is so easy and such a pleasure to read. There are some recipes included - the German sweet bread sounds delicious. And I liked the hidden little detail I found underneath the book jacket - a stamping of a mask within holly. And the title? You'll find it's origin in the last few pages.

Half Spent Was the Night is another spellbinding read from Ami McKay. My only complaint - I wanted more - I'll be eagerly awaiting the next book in this series. ( )
  Twink | Nov 2, 2018 |

product description : During the nights between Christmas and New Year's, the witches of New York — Adelaide Thom, Eleanor St. Clair and the youngest, Beatrice Dunn — gather before the fire to tell ghost stories and perform traditional Yuletide divinations. (Did you know that roasting chestnuts was once used to foretell one's fate?)As the witches roast chestnuts and melt lead to see their fate, a series of odd messengers land on their doorstep bearing invitations for a New Year's Eve masquerade hosted by a woman they've never met. Gossip, dreams and portents follow, leading the witches to question the woman's motives. Is she as benevolent as she seems or is she laying a trap? And so, as Gilded-Age New York prepares to ring in the new year, the witches don their finery and head for the ball, on the hunt for answers that might well be the end of them.

Ami McKay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,321,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible