Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt

Possession: A Romance (original 1990; edition 1990)

by A.S. Byatt

Member:kiwidoc
Title:Possession: A Romance
Authors:A.S. Byatt
Info:Random House (1990), Hardcover, 555 pages
Tags:Fiction. English. Booker prize winner.1990.

Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (1990)

1990s (13)

English (206)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (222)
Amazing recreation of 'voice' from the 19th c. Hand to believe that the letters weren't actually written by the characters living in Victorian England. Surprising twists in the romantic.plot. Some very admirable prose passages. Admitting that I skipped most of the poetry chapters to savor later on their own, as they didn't obscure or promote the plot. My only quibble is with the rather sophomoric ending, which was a bit like the Famous Five or Scooby Doo come to the rescue. It was Incongruous and didn't fit with the generally abstract themes (language, symbolism, literary criticism, etc.) and the serious tenor of the rest of book. Still it was a book that enriches you -- at the very least your vocabulary. ( )
  amaraki | May 16, 2017 |
I wanted to like this book, but I couldn't. If I read it at a different time in my life I might have felt different, particularly given that just a couple of months ago I read [b:The Stranger's Child|7552716|The Stranger's Child |Alan Hollinghurst|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1304729778s/7552716.jpg|9850206] which provides an interesting contrast. I suppose one of my problems was also that I've read and rather treasure [b:The Letters of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett|355867|The Letters of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barret Barrett 1845-1846 Vol I (1899)|Robert Browning|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347637125s/355867.jpg|2037848], and have always liked the fact that Robert Browning was unsuccessful and younger than EBB, who was the more established poet. So the Browning-cum-Tennyson figure of Ash and the diminished ersatz Christina Rossetti of LaMotte left a bad taste in my mouth. This obviously posed a fundamental problem in enjoying the book as it is essentially the premise. More than this, the letters read so slowly for me, and took away from the pace of the novel.

The scholarly and post-modern discussions between Maud and Roland felt familiar to me given my recent background, and I could certainly relate to the thrill of new finds, the temptation of making projections about the private lives of your subject, and the post-modern questions of love, identity, and narrative. But I feel that could have been dealt with in two hundred pages rather than five.

What frustrated me more than anything was Byatt providing the flashback narrative for Ash and LaMotte, which she introduced more than halfway through the book. It was such a disappointment. I didn't want to know anything that Maud and Roland didn't know. I didn't want the empirical authorial verification of events. It felt like cheating somehow. And it's where my comparison with [b:The Stranger's Child|7552716|The Stranger's Child |Alan Hollinghurst|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1304729778s/7552716.jpg|9850206] comes in most strongly. In Hollinghurst's book we have another case of scholars trying to piece together the life (& scandals) surrounding a deceased writer, but where much of the evidence has been deliberately destroyed due to reigning social mores. But Hollinghurst begins with that objective narrative so that the reader knows what the researchers who come later do not. This completely changes how we read the novel and makes for quite a different message about the impossibility of accuracy and authenticity in biography. He never fully satisfies the biographical desire for the "complete picture," and rather suggests that the more time that passes on, the more we will lose. Here everything is tied up too neatly. They find all of the evidence (with one omission... what became of Blanche's paintings? But that smacks of being overlooked rather than purposefully unfinished.), and the fact that Maud is a descendent of both Ash and LaMotte is just too neat (as well as too obvious from an early stage). The only thing more sickeningly neat is that Ash sees and knows his daughter, again in a flashback narrative moment.

This was an ambitious novel, but very slow and hampered by the distance between the reader and the characters (80s timeframe), when it is all about feeling close to the narrative of others. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
"He slept curled against her back, a dark comma against her pale elegant phrase." There, the berlinartparasites money shot. ( )
  ZoneSeek | Mar 3, 2017 |
This was a heavy slog. In parts I really enjoyed it, in others I found it utterly tedious. I found all the poetry a drag, and a lot of the lengthy 19th Century sections (with the exception of Sabine's diary, which was a great read) similarly hard to get through. If you love playful and erudite prose, and are familiar with literary theory, this might be the book for you. If you want a fast-moving, gripping plot, it probably isn't. I don't give 1/2 stars, but if I did I'd probably give it 2 1/2. ( )
  Helena81 | Feb 24, 2017 |
Really one of the best books I ever read. Ever. ( )
  ReneeGKC | Feb 9, 2017 |
This is a romance, as the subtitle suggests, but it's a romance of ideas — darkly intricate Victorian ideas and modern academic assembly-line ideas. The Victorian ideas get the better of it.

Shrewd, even cutting in its satire about how literary values become as obsessive as romantic love, in the end, “Possession” celebrates the variety of ways the books we possess come to possess us as readers.

I won't be so churlish as to give away the end, but a plenitude of surprises awaits the reader of this gorgeously written novel. A. S. Byatt is a writer in mid-career whose time has certainly come, because ''Possession'' is a tour de force that opens every narrative device of English fiction to inspection without, for a moment, ceasing to delight.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Jay Parini (Oct 21, 1990)

Byatt, A. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nadotti, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyqvist, SannaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polvinen, MerjaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, MelanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a writer calls his work a Romance, it need hardly be observed that he wishes to claim a certain latitude, both as to its fashion and material, which he would not have felt himself entitled to assume, had he professed to be writing a Novel. The latter form of composition is presumed to aim at a very minute fidelity, not merely to the possible, but to the probable and ordinary course of man's experience. The former -- while as a work of art, it must rigidly subject itself to laws, and while it sins unpardonably so far as it may swerve aside from the truth of the human heart -- has fairly a right to present that truth under circumstances, to a great extent, of the writer's own choosing or creation. ... The point of view in which this tale comes under the Romantic definition lies in the attempt to connect a bygone time with the very present that is flitting away from us. -- Nathaniel Hawthorne, Preface to The House of the Seven Gables
For Isobel Armstrong
The book was thick and black and covered with dust.
The book was thick and black and covered with dust. Its boards were bowed and creaking; it had been maltreated in its own time. It spine was missing, or rather protruded from amongst the leaves like a bulky marker. It was bandaged about and about with dirty white tape, tied in a neat bow. … it had been exhumed from …
... the awesome Flamborough Head, where so many have met terrible deaths, in the race of water and the powerful currents - which you can almost see and hear, chuckling beneath the slap of the high waves ... The cliffs are chalky-white and carved and faceted and sliced by the elements into fantastic shapes ... One stands out to sea - raising an impotent or menacing stump -
Whitby ... a sloping town, crowding down in picturesque alleys or yards and flight after flight of stone stairs to the water - a terraced town ... The shop-fronts were old and full of romance.... There were several jewellers specialising in jet.
The Boggle Hole is a cove tucked beneath cliffs, where a beck runs down across the sand to the sea, from an old mill. They walked down through flowering lanes.... A peculiarity of that beach is the proliferation of large rounded stones which lie about ... These stones are not uniform in colour or size ...

"Literary critics make natural detectives," says Maud Bailey, heroine of a mystery where the clues lurk in university libraries, old letters, and dusty journals. Together with Roland Michell, a fellow academic and accidental sleuth, Maud discovers a love affair between the two Victorian writers the pair has dedicated their lives to studying: Randolph Ash, a literary great long assumed to be a devoted and faithful husband, and Christabel La Motte, a lesser-known "fairy poetess" and chaste spinster. At first, Roland and Maud's discovery threatens only to alter the direction of their research, but as they unearth the truth about the long-forgotten romance, their involvement becomes increasingly urgent and personal. Desperately concealing their purpose from competing researchers, they embark on a journey that pulls each of them from solitude and loneliness, challenges the most basic assumptions they hold about themselves, and uncovers their unique entitlement to the secret of Ash and La Motte's passion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679735909, Paperback)

Winner of the 1990 Booker Prize--the U.K.'s highest literary award--Possession is a gripping and compulsively readable novel. A.S. Byatt exquisitely renders a setting rich in detail and texture. Her lush imagery weaves together the dual worlds that appear throughout the novel--the worlds of the mind and the senses, of male and female, of darkness and light, of truth and imagination--into an enchanted and unforgettable tale of love and intrigue. --Lisa Whipple

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

As a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets uncover their letters, journals, & poems, & trace their movements from London to Yorkshire-and from spiritualist seances to the fairy-haunted far west of Brittany-an extraordinary counterpoint of passions & ideas emerges. An exhilarating novel of wit and romance, an intellectual mystery, and a triumphant love story. This tale of a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets became a huge bookseller favorite, and then on to national bestellerdom. Winner of England's Booker Prize, a coast-to-coast bestseller, and the literary sensation of the year, Possession is a novel of wit and romance, at once an intellectual mystery and a triumphant love story. Revolving around a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets, Byatt creates a haunting counterpoint of passion and ideas.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,488,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible