Possession: A Romance (Vintage 21st Anniv…

Possession: A Romance (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions) (original 1990; edition 2012)

by A S Byatt (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Possession: A Romance (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions)
Authors:A S Byatt (Author)
Info:Vintage Digital (2012), 620 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:abandoned

Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (1990)

Recently added bytherealdelia, ManWithAnAgenda, Bookdogs, jluis1984, Bears, private library, mobi93, LoriBethLibrarian, amysan
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (KayCliff)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (cometahalley)
    Sugar and Other Stories by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The story, "Precipice-encurled" can be seen as a sort of paradigm of 'Possession'.
    The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A. S. Byatt (aces)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (kara.shamy)
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books are cited by Michael Dirda as examples of antiquarian romance.
    The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch (jtho)
    Headlong by Michael Frayn (KayCliff)
    The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (bookwormelf)
    Bal masque by Elia Barceló (spiphany)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (casvelyn)
    The drowning girl : a memoir by Caitlín R. Kiernan (blacksylph)
    The Darwin Conspiracy by John Darnton (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: In both novels competing academics uncover autographs and written sources (diaries, letters, etc). Similar approach, widely different topics, each beautifully written.
    The Great Green Worm by Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy (KayCliff)
    The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (Imprinted)
    The Way to Paradise by Mario Vargas Llosa (Johanna11)
    Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell (KayCliff)
    Vintage Fear: " The Complete Fairy Tales " , " The Bloody Chamber " (Vintage Classic Twins) by Jacob Grimm (Sibylle.Night)
    Sibylle.Night: Both are very literary works and their authors' prose is gorgeous.
    A Rich Full Death by Michael Dibdin (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books include consideration of Robert Browning and spiritualism.
    Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights / Agnes Grey by Charlotte Brontë (cometahalley)

1990s (14)
My TBR (12)

English (220)  Dutch (4)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (237)
This book is indulgent. In its language, plot, characters, it was thick with it.

But I liked it, really really liked it. Sometimes I like to read a book that doesn't so much draw you into it, but instead oozes into your life. It wasn't that I became preoccupied with the story or the characters, I'd read it before, but Byatt has a talent with language that makes Possession a treat in my favorite sense of the word. All of its elements are too rich for most occasions, but here the confection goes down.

A friend has introduced me to a new rule of thumb - its not tacky if its real. And Byatt is the real thing. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Yes, I must confess my initial dismissal of this novel (10 years ago) has evolved quite a lot, from 2 stars to a solid 4 stars. Marvellous stuff that is far warmer than perhaps I gave it credit for in my nebbishly intellectual youth. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I knew nothing about this book before I read it, and I am glad I didn't. I loved being surprised along the way. The author is amazingly talented at creating and inhabiting characters. I can only imagine how difficult mastering the various forms of writing was. Letters, diaries, and oh my god the poems! It's difficult to grasp that Randolph Henry Ash and Christabel LaMotte aren't real. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Not sure why this is a new classic. Slow and not very interesting. ( )
  deldevries | Sep 20, 2018 |
I’m not sure how long I’ve had this book. I’ve a feeling my parents gave it me when they lived in the Middle East, and they moved back to the UK in the late 1990s… (Ah. I just checked and they gave it me in 2002… so after we’d all returned to the UK. See, keeping records is a good thing.) Anyway, it’s been hanging around in my book collection for over a decade. I watched the film adaptation several years ago – featuring two US actors, Gwyneth Paltrow playing a Brit and Aaron Eckhart playing a Brit character that had been rewritten as an American (but Trevor Eve plays the novel’s only American character) – and remember being unimpressed. There are films that are better than the novels they’re adapted from – such as, Marnie, The Commitments, and, er, All That Heaven Allows – but they’re rare. Possession isn’t one of them. The book is much superior, even if it dies “reproduce” much of its subject’s poetry, which is really quite bad. An academic, Roland Michell, studying the Victorian poet Randolph Henry Ash comes across mention of a woman encountered by Ash, Christabel LaMotte, and decides to look her up. This brings him into contact with Maud Bailey, an academic specialising in the poetry of LaMotte. Together, they track down a series of letters between the two, which suggest not only that Ash and LaMotte had an affair, but that some of Ash’s later poetry was directly inspired by LaMotte, and uncovers consequences which impact Bailey and Michell themselves. The book is structured as a straight narrative in the present day, interspersed with correspondence and journal entries from various of the Victorian characters, and even poetry from Ash and LaMotte. Although published in 1990, the present-day narrative reads like it’s set in the early 1980s, which feels odd, and the only year mentioned, 1988, is implied to be some time in the future, The prose is by turns fussy and glib – and Byatt seems to enjoy describing domestic bathrooms in excessive detail – and while the historical bits appear extremely well-researched, something about the correspondence between Ash and LaMotte smells a little too coy and arch to really convince. It doesn’t help that Ash’s poetry, as reproduced, is pretty awful. LaMotte’s is not much better. True, I’m no expert on Victorian poetry – I much prefer poetry from the 1930s and 1940s – but the excerpts from Ash’s epic poetry are not impressive. Possession was widely lauded on publication and won the Booker Prize. Even now, it is held in high regard. It’s undoubtedly a clever novel, and makes an excellent fist of its conceit. The meta-fiction/palimpsest nature of the narrative is something that appeals to me, although such narratives run the risk of being boring in parts and Possession unfortunately fails to avoid that. I suspect it’s a consequence of the structure – over-dramatising such narrative inserts would probably impact their verisimilitude. As a literary fiction novel, I’ve read better; as an historical meta-fictional novel, I’ve read better. But it’s still very good. Recommended. ( )
  iansales | Sep 18, 2018 |
This is a romance, as the subtitle suggests, but it's a romance of ideas — darkly intricate Victorian ideas and modern academic assembly-line ideas. The Victorian ideas get the better of it.

Shrewd, even cutting in its satire about how literary values become as obsessive as romantic love, in the end, “Possession” celebrates the variety of ways the books we possess come to possess us as readers.

I won't be so churlish as to give away the end, but a plenitude of surprises awaits the reader of this gorgeously written novel. A. S. Byatt is a writer in mid-career whose time has certainly come, because ''Possession'' is a tour de force that opens every narrative device of English fiction to inspection without, for a moment, ceasing to delight.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Jay Parini (Oct 21, 1990)

Byatt, A. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nadotti, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyqvist, SannaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polvinen, MerjaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walz, MelanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a writer calls his work a Romance, it need hardly be observed that he wishes to claim a certain latitude, both as to its fashion and material, which he would not have felt himself entitled to assume, had he professed to be writing a Novel. The latter form of composition is presumed to aim at a very minute fidelity, not merely to the possible, but to the probable and ordinary course of man's experience. The former -- while as a work of art, it must rigidly subject itself to laws, and while it sins unpardonably so far as it may swerve aside from the truth of the human heart -- has fairly a right to present that truth under circumstances, to a great extent, of the writer's own choosing or creation. ... The point of view in which this tale comes under the Romantic definition lies in the attempt to connect a bygone time with the very present that is flitting away from us.
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne, Preface to The House of the Seven Gables
For Isobel Armstrong
The book was thick and black and covered with dust.
The book was thick and black and covered with dust. Its boards were bowed and creaking; it had been maltreated in its own time. It spine was missing, or rather protruded from amongst the leaves like a bulky marker. It was bandaged about and about with dirty white tape, tied in a neat bow. … it had been exhumed from …
... the awesome Flamborough Head, where so many have met terrible deaths, in the race of water and the powerful currents - which you can almost see and hear, chuckling beneath the slap of the high waves ... The cliffs are chalky-white and carved and faceted and sliced by the elements into fantastic shapes ... One stands out to sea - raising an impotent or menacing stump -
Whitby ... a sloping town, crowding down in picturesque alleys or yards and flight after flight of stone stairs to the water - a terraced town ... The shop-fronts were old and full of romance.... There were several jewellers specialising in jet.
The Boggle Hole is a cove tucked beneath cliffs, where a beck runs down across the sand to the sea, from an old mill. They walked down through flowering lanes.... A peculiarity of that beach is the proliferation of large rounded stones which lie about ... These stones are not uniform in colour or size ...

"Literary critics make natural detectives," says Maud Bailey, heroine of a mystery where the clues lurk in university libraries, old letters, and dusty journals. Together with Roland Michell, a fellow academic and accidental sleuth, Maud discovers a love affair between the two Victorian writers the pair has dedicated their lives to studying: Randolph Ash, a literary great long assumed to be a devoted and faithful husband, and Christabel La Motte, a lesser-known "fairy poetess" and chaste spinster. At first, Roland and Maud's discovery threatens only to alter the direction of their research, but as they unearth the truth about the long-forgotten romance, their involvement becomes increasingly urgent and personal. Desperately concealing their purpose from competing researchers, they embark on a journey that pulls each of them from solitude and loneliness, challenges the most basic assumptions they hold about themselves, and uncovers their unique entitlement to the secret of Ash and La Motte's passion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679735909, Paperback)

Winner of the 1990 Booker Prize--the U.K.'s highest literary award--Possession is a gripping and compulsively readable novel. A.S. Byatt exquisitely renders a setting rich in detail and texture. Her lush imagery weaves together the dual worlds that appear throughout the novel--the worlds of the mind and the senses, of male and female, of darkness and light, of truth and imagination--into an enchanted and unforgettable tale of love and intrigue. --Lisa Whipple

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:57 -0400)

As a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets uncover their letters, journals, & poems, & trace their movements from London to Yorkshire-and from spiritualist seances to the fairy-haunted far west of Brittany-an extraordinary counterpoint of passions & ideas emerges. Annotation. An exhilarating novel of wit and romance, an intellectual mystery, and a triumphant love story. This tale of a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets became a huge bookseller favorite, and then on to national bestellerdom. Winner of England's Booker Prize, a coast-to-coast bestseller, and the literary sensation of the year, Possession is a novel of wit and romance, at once an intellectual mystery and a triumphant love story. Revolving around a pair of young scholars researching the lives of two Victorian poets, Byatt creates a haunting counterpoint of passion and ideas.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,531,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible