dismiss

The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and…

The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Meredith May (Author)

"Meredith May recalls the first time a honeybee crawled on her arm. She was five years old, her parents had recently split and suddenly she found herself in the care of her grandfather, an eccentric beekeeper who made honey in a rusty old military bus in the yard. That first close encounter was at once terrifying and exhilarating for May, and in that moment she discovered that everything she needed to know about life and family was right before her eyes, in the secret world of bees"--Amazon.… (more)
Member:GrumpyLawyer
Title:The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees
Authors:Meredith May (Author)
Info:Park Row (2019), Edition: Original, 336 pages

The Honey Bus: A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees by Meredith May (2019)

Although I rarely read memoirs, I was intrigued by the 1970s California setting and the idea of a honey bus. I don't want to say too much about the story but it is a beautifully written coming of age story about a girl and her brother managing to thrive within a dysfunctional family. May's paternal grandfather becomes her saving grace and she deftly interweaves the ongoing story of the bees and the life lessons she learns from helping to care for her grandfather's hives. Although I have read other books about beekeeping, I appreciated the author including information about the social system of a beehive and how environmental changes impact their health. ( )
  This-n-That | Jan 4, 2020 |
There is no doubt that a book one identifies with has more meaning, but I had no clue how close this book would come to mine. Like Meredith, I was five, and though I did not have a you get brother, I did have a you get sister, when my parents divorced. Like Meredith's mother, mine too took us to live with my grandparents, but luckily my mother was nothing like Meredith's. She did leave us during the week, taking a train into the city to work, returning only on weekends, but she was a loving mother when she was there. I too became close to my grandfather, and though he didn't keep bees , he was a great woodworker, building two lonely little girls, there own playhouse. This close relationship we forged with my grandparents lasted throughout their lives.

Meredith, learns early she must take care of herself and her younger brother. Her mother lost in grief and pity, would of could not be the mother they needed. It was their grandfather that showed them love and introduced them to the world of bees. This world is one the reader also learns a great deal about, and a world that saves two lonely little children. It is touching, stirring, frustrating and reaches right into the readers heart. It is wonderfully told, without pity, but evoking emotional responses, all the same.

It is a warning about the plight of the honey bee, these bees that provide a third of the worlds food. How quickly they are disappearing, giving various reasons why this is so, and what can be done. I loved both the story and the information imparted. It is important, another example of how we are abusing this planet and it's inhabitants, human or not. It is also an ode to grandparents, an example how one loving relationship can change a life, blood relationship or not. I loved it and sent a silent thank you to my long gone grandparents, a simple thank you will never be enough. ( )
  Beamis12 | Nov 12, 2019 |
When her parents divorce, Meredith is transplanted from her Rhode Island home to her grandparents’ in California. Her mother is deep in the thralls of depression and so her strict granny becomes her care giver. But it’s her step-grandpa, that truly connects with her. He teaches her how to care for bees and all about his hive colonies. Their relationship is sweet and wonderful. The memoir reminds me of The Glass Castle, but the addition of hive culture adds a fascinating layer. ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 4, 2019 |
When Meredith's parents split, she finds herself living with her grandparents, mother, and little brother in California. Her mother spends her life in bed, depressed and anxious about her life. Her grandmother's focus is the mother, and easing her own guilt. The grandfather, a bee keeper, has infinite patience with Meredith and her brother, teaching them through bee's.

This was a well written, and engaging book. I loved the relationship Meredith had with her grandfather, and the subtle ways that he took her under his wing. I loved how the bee's were woven throughout the story, and how Meredith learned through them. Overall, highly recommended. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 29, 2019 |
For Grandpa
E. Franklin Peace
1926-2015
Swarm season always arrived by telephone.
...never kill something unless you are going to eat it.
Honeybees don’t go on the attack. They will only sting to defend their home. They know that if they sting they will die, so they’ll give you plenty of warnings first.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,862,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible