The Swarm by Frank Schätzing

The Swarm (2004)

by Frank Schätzing

The Deadly Deep by Jon Messmann (isabelx)
    isabelx: Ocean creatures start attacking mankind in both stories.
    The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Same idea, but written 50 years earlier.
    Beast by Peter Benchley (Bridgey)
    Bridgey: same sort of thing, mans greed turning sea creatures against us

English (40)  German (17)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (71)
Huge, but wonderful. Lots of science, some horror/mystery/suspense. For fans of classic Michael Crichton - read it in his honor. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I had heard a lot about this enormous book by Frank Schätzing, therefor I was interested in reading it.

What if nature turns against us, polluting humans? Interesting thought!

Featuring mostly sea animals, it sometimes gave me the creeps. On other moments the tone was really scientific and perhaps to some people a little bit boring to read. I found it all quite interesting, I could feel Schätzing had done an enormous about of research for this book. Something I always like a lot! ( )
1 vote Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The Swarm Frank Schatzing
★★★

Humanity is under attack from the oceans and its down to America to save the world, well that is the tag line I would give this book.

Written by a German author in 2004 following a period of several natural disasters and America's declaration of war on terror this a novel about how the world would react to an attack against humanity by an unknown source.

Reading between the lines you can see the criticism of the war on terror and also our limitations when it comes to defining what makes intelligent life.

This is a book that is very heavy with science (not in a bad way) it appears the author has done a lot of research about how various occurences would effect the world and how intelligent life could develop alongside mankind.

There are sections of intense action followed by slow moving, meditative even, examining of the science behind the latest developement.

This does read more like a film script than a novel and as with all good disaster movies the question is can mankind win? and who will be left standing at the end? ( )
1 vote BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Recommended by a young sales woman in a small Tofino, BC bookstore. Her personal story peaked my interest because, after she read The Swarm, she moved from Germany to Tofina. Tofina, BC is an important part in the book as are various sites around the world, the ocean and all of sea life and of course, what we're doing to nature, not considering humans are part of nature. A thriller from the start with the conflict of the natural world, science and control; it held my interest but was long. I certainly commend Schatzing for his research and his suggestion to understand oneself and our constructiveness to all life. ( )
  NancyLang | Jan 9, 2015 |
Het intrigerend boek. Vorm van science-fiction die ik boeiend vind. Tegen het einde gaat de vaart uit het verhaal en wordt het langdradig. Ondanks dat vind ik het een boek dat je lang bij blijft. Iedere keer als ik het in m'n boekenkast zie staan dan denk ik "tja.... wanneer zou het gaan gebeuren...." En dat vind ik het knappe van dit verhaal.
  HansWildschut | Apr 27, 2014 |

Spencer, Sally-AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vicini, SergioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
hishuk ish ts'awalk
Nuu-chah-nulth tribe, Vancouver Island
Love, deeper than the ocean.
For Sabina
Juan Narciso Ucañan went to his fate that Wednesday, and no one even noticed.
hishuk ish ts'awalk
de Nuu-Chah-Nulth-stam, Vancouver Island

Whales begin sinking ships. Toxic, eyeless crabs poison Long Island's water supply. The North Sea shelf collapses, killing thousands in Europe. Around the world, countries are beginning to feel the effects of the ocean's revenge as the seas and their inhabitants begin a violent revolution against mankind. At stake is the survival of the Earth's fragile ecology—and ultimately, the survival of the human race itself.

The apocalyptic catastrophes of The Day After Tomorrow meet the watery menace of The Abyss in this gripping, scientifically realistic, and utterly imaginative thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:05 -0400)

A mysterious life force called the Yrr takes control of various forms of marine life to exact revenge on humankind, as whales begin sinking ships, crabs poison the water supply, and a tsunami devastates the coastal regions of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,125,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible