Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Romeo and Juliet (1594)

by William Shakespeare

20,622204110 (3.76)470
    The Romance of Tristan and Iseult by Joseph Bédier (JGKC)
    Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Shakespeare's treatments of passionate, irrational and self-destructive love between teenagers (R&J) and mature people (A&C) make for a truly fascinating comparison. The vastly greater political and metaphysical implications, as well as the extreme concentration of the language, in the later play show how far Shakespeare developed for just over a decade.… (more)
    The Tryst Tale by Duane Romana (femme)
    La Celestina by Fernando de Rojas (longway)
    The Boy Next Door: A Novel by Irene Sabatini (infiniteletters)

English (187)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (207)
Romeo and Juliet Summary. A deep rooted quarrel between two amazing families emits into carnage. A gathering of covered Montagues hazard further clash by gatecrashing a Capulet party. A youthful lovesick Romeo Montague falls in a split second enamored with Juliet Capulet, who is expected to wed her dad's decision, the County Paris. ( )
  ChristianR.G1 | Mar 27, 2019 |
A classic book that has been rehashed and regurgitated ad nauseum for almost 500 years, it's little surprise why screenwriters and book authors keep on basing stories from this tragic love story of two innocents from warring families that outright detest each other.

Now, I know, every high school in English majority nations have plastered this author's books as the best pieces of literature of all time. For better or worse, I was not raised in a country where English is the official language and never really grew up with his work. When I finally did get a chance to read this story (translated to Spanish), maybe it was the translation that lost some of the poetic lyricism, but I found the book very hard to follow.

I probably also felt disconnected with it because the book was written such a long time ago that the phrases used seem out of style or hard to understand. It really bogged the immersion and fun factor and made it a bit of a chore to read.

Still, the plot is great, but I would have probably enjoyed it more if there was a more modernized and less poetic version of the prose to aid in my commoner ears. ( )
1 vote chirikosan | Feb 25, 2019 |
O teach me how I should forget to think

I was prepared to be underwhelmed by a jaded near fifty return to this plethora of love-anchored verse. It was quite the opposite, as I found myself steeled with philosophy "adversity's sweet milk" and my appreciation proved ever enhanced by the Bard's appraisal of the human condition. How adroit to have situated such between two warring tribes, under a merciful deity, an all-too-human church and the wayward agency of hormonal teens. Many complain of this being a classic Greek drama adapted to a contemporary milieu. There is also a disproportionate focus on the frantic pacing in the five acts. I can appreciate both concerns but I think such is beyond the point. The chorus frames matters in terms of destiny, a rumination on Aristotelian tragedy yet the drama unfolds with caprice being the coin of the realm. Well, as much agency as smitten couples can manage. Pacing is a recent phenomenon, 50 episodes for McNulty to walk away from the force, a few less for Little Nell to die.

Shakespeare offers insights on loyalty and human frailty as well as the Edenic cursing of naming in some relative ontology. Would Heidegger smell as sweet? My mind's eye blurs the poise of Juliet with that of Ophelia; though no misdeeds await the Capulet, unless being disinherited by Plath's Daddy is the road's toll to a watery sleep. The black shoe and the attendant violent delights. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
First, it’s prose, translated by multiple hands, so of course the rhythm or point to the line is lost. Montale and Ungaretti have translated individual poems, much more freely in the prior’s case.
Also lost in even great translations are the puns and historic meanings, say RJ I.i, the many uses of “stand,” The 1590’s word erection—made clear in the puns on sword, “my naked tool is out.”
Here, Emilio Cecchi, translator of Otello, footnotes puns, like “white” and “wight” (170). He also has a great note on “folly” as “scemenza vale lascivia.” (Cecchi also translates Iago’s epigrams into verse, so his O is more four-stars; he was a screen-writer, films until 1949.)
My favorite lines, aloudread at Milanese cafe’s over a cappucio, are those which adopt some Italian priority, like food: King, “Dove Polonio?” Hamlet, “A cena.” K, “A cena! Dove?” H,”Non dove mangia, ma dove e mangiato...Vermi politici si sta occupando di lui”(126). (L. Squarzina’s translation was first performed and directed by V. Gassman —and the translator—in Fall, 1952.)
Cecchi has Iago’s drinking song with Cassio, preparing him to be killed by a poorer swordsman,
“Facciam tintinnare i bicchieri/ [Ripetere]
La vita e un spanna,
Il soldato tracanna
E un uomo lui.”
Of course, “cannikin” hard to render by “bicchieri.” As is “clink” by “tintinnare,” to sound or ring.
Cecchi also has the gravediggers songs, and their complaint that la gente ripulita have right to drown themselves while men don’t.
Hamlet jokes with Horacio about nourishing bones that could as well make dice to play skittles, birilli. The gravedigger’s refrain,
Per baciare il primo che venga, hi ho hu,
C’e una bocca di argilla nel suol. (140)
Before this, “Una zappa e una vanga, e una vanga, hi ho hu,/ e un sudario per lenzuol,/ per baciare...”
Asked how long he’s dug graves, the digger-clown answers, sineold Hamlet beat Fortibras, the same day young Hamlet was born, he who is mad and sent to Inghilterra. H, Perche? “Gli inglesi sono matti come lui.”
Paola Ojetti translates RJ, but finds the bawdy puns impossible, say Romeo’s to the Nurse, “The bawdy dial of the sun stands on the prick of noon,” Perche il dito Della meridiana sta adesso Mezzogiorno.(37). But again, Italian food comes through, with “una lepre, messere, in un pasticcio di quaresima..”. This improves on “an hare in a Lenten pie.” Anyone who’s dined on home-made pasticcio would prefer it to a pub Shepherds pie. ( )
  AlanWPowers | Dec 30, 2018 |
Re-reading!

Currently free at Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Romeo-Juliet-AmazonClassics-William-Shakespeare-ebook/dp/... and juliet by william shakespeare

I had to read this novel in school – now let me tell you I hated this book with passion in school – BECAUSE I HAD TO! I was quite a rebellion in my time, well nothing changed I am still a rebellion ;-)

Many school kids back in my day didn't appreciate this tragedy because Shakespeare used a lot of bizarre arguments to our ears. I'm delighted to understand it know, but I think main reason is I wanted to understand this novel I felt like I got a sense for his artwork Shakespeare created.

This picture was for me at school, eye rolling and complaining a lot – well said Sir Tom!
I Bow my head in Shame! :-(

This is me now as a Shakespeare Lover :D

Once I left school I watched some Shakespeare movies – and I decided I must read this gem again – I have read it 4x since I left school!

Schubert - Ave Maria

“You kiss by the book.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Background on Shakespeare: (again wiki)
William Shakespeare 26 April 1564 (baptised) – 23 April 1616) was an English poet, playwright, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet, and the "Bard of Avon". His extant works, including collaborations, consist of approximately 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses, some of uncertain authorship. His plays have been translated into every major living language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.

Prologue OR Chapter 1

Guiltless young love condemned due to inevitable environments:

"From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star-crossed lovers take their life; whose misadventure’s piteous overthrows, doth with their death bury their parents' strife." This is part of the opening prologue from William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." From this opening you can get a strong portrait of the events that take place in this play

Two adolescents from conflicting clans fall in love, marry in secret, and take their own lives rather than live without each other.

Despite the teenage melodrama, "Romeo and Juliet" remains one of Shakespeare's most durable and widespread plays, even if it wasn't his best -- lots of demise, teen lovers and captivating dialogue.

Type of Characters and my choices according to pictures :

Relationship development
In the city of Verona, the Montagues and Capulets are protected in a lethal grudge. Then a Montague youth named Romeo, besotted with a Capulet girl named Rosaline, sneaks into a party to see her.... but instead meets another Capulet lass named Juliet, and the two instantly fall in love. Since their families hate each other, their love must be articulated in top-secret.

Chapter Development
Expecting to unite the two families, the kind-hearted priest Friar Lawrence assists the two in marrying in secret. But then Juliet's cousin Tybalt challenges Romeo to a duel, leading to the demise of two men -- and Romeo's outcast from Verona. Even worse, the Capulets have decided to marry Juliet to Count Paris -- leading to a frantic plan that goes extremely askew.

Romeo:
If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

Juliet:
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Romeo:
Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?

Juliet:
Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.

Romeo:
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Juliet:
Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.

Romeo:
Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.

My feelings while reading this: → Will I read it again?→
Above all, fear not; and dare to dive into this torrent of love!

Juliet:
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.

Romeo:
Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!
Give me my sin again.
“Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”

To the Author

“Don't waste your love on somebody, who doesn't value it.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triump die, like fire and powder
Which, as they kiss, consume”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |

Is parodied in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,

That I shall say good night till it be morrow.
This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,

May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.
A plague o' both your houses!
Romeo and Juliet (the play) ISBN 9780942208665
Romeo and Juliet Director's Playbook (play plus theatrical production sections) ISBN 9780942208658.
Please distinguish between this work, which is Shakespeare's original play, from any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
The most iconic love story of all time, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is an epic-scale tragedy of desire and revenge. Despite the bitter rivalry that exists between their families, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet have fallen madly in love. But when the long-running rivalry boils over into murder, the young couple must embark on a dangerous and deadly mission to preserve their love at any cost.

An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring:
Darren Richardson as Sampson and Peter
Alan Shearman as Lord Montague and others
André Sogliuzzo as Gregory and others
Sarah Zimmerman as Lady Montague and others

Directed by Martin Jarvis.
Recorded at the Invisible Studios, West Hollywood in January, 2012.

"Love moderately,"
said the Friar to the kids.
Wish they had listened.

(Carnophile)
Is it star-crossed love?
Should the Friar have hosed them?
A little of both.
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477111, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play Scene-by-scene plot summaries A key to famous lines and phrases An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

Provides the text of the play, accompanied by notes and an introduction. Also includes a section of study questions and a brief biography of Shakespeare.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Shakespeare's book The Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714847, 0141012269, 0141335378

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175153, 1909175161

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100025, 1449879675

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible