Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Romeo and Juliet (original 1594; edition 1997)

by William Shakespeare (Author)

18,82519089 (3.76)444
Member:antqueen
Title:Romeo and Juliet
Authors:William Shakespeare (Author)
Info:In The Unabridged William Shakespeare. f1595. 38p.
Collections:Individual books, Omnibus contents
Tags:plays, omnibus contents, europe, italy, verona, romance, tragedy, fiction, british author, f:1590s, ~qc4, read 2012, 12 in 12

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (1594)

The Romance of Tristan and Iseult by Joseph Bedier (JGKC)
    Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Shakespeare's treatments of passionate, irrational and self-destructive love between teenagers (R&J) and mature people (A&C) make for a truly fascinating comparison. The vastly greater political and metaphysical implications, as well as the extreme concentration of the language, in the later play show how far Shakespeare developed for just over a decade.… (more)
    The Tryst Tale by Duane Romana (femme)
    La Celestina by Fernando de Rojas (longway)
    The Boy Next Door: A Novel by Irene Sabatini (infiniteletters)

English (172)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (190)
Romeo and Juilet is, of course, the classic Shakespeare tradegy that begins with a feud and ends in suicide. The Folger edition does a lovely job, with vocabulary referenced and plot points written right in - if you're going to read Shakespeare, read it in Folger's.

"Two households, both alike in dignity,

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,

From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,

Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes

A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;

Whose misadventured piteous overthrows

Do with their death bury their parents' strife.

The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,

And the continuance of their parents' rage,

Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,

Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;

The which if you with patient ears attend,

What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend." ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Un classico della letteratura Inglese e credo che non esisista al mondo persona che non sappia, almeno a grandi linee, la trama di questa tragica storia d'amore.

Williams Shakespeare ha saputo creare una storia d'amore così forte, totalitaria, totalizzante ed allo stesso tempo sanguinosa e passionale che è impossibile non amarla.

Molti non hanno apprezzato il finale tragico, io personalmente ho sempre creduto che fosse stato proprio il finale ad innalzare quest'opera ad un livello superiore. Il classico ''e vissero felici e contenti'' avrebbe offuscato la singolarità del romanzo.
La morte dei protagonisti gli ha permesso, invece, di esaltare ancora di più l'unicità del loro Amore, un amore che trascende la labilità della vita, che va oltre, un amore eterno.

Assolutamente fantastico. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
There is nothing more infuriating than misunderstood literature by the mass public. Romeo and Juliet is a love story that is referenced at least 100 times a day as the best love story ever written, tragic and swoon worthy. I couldn't agree less. This is nothing more than two adolescents who are completely overtaken by lust and decide that the only way to be happy is to do whatever it takes to be with each other. Many regard this as sweet and touching, but the same story in today's real world is absolutely cringe worthy. Why on Earth would someone think this is a serious work of fiction? I've seen better storylines in Sci-Fi. Shakespeare had a few beautiful metaphors and some witty remarks in this, and that's the only reason it didn't get one star. But oh my gosh, I actually beg everyone to read this, just so people will stop comparing relationships to this pubescent disaster of a play. ( )
  mlmarks98 | May 13, 2017 |
Sigh. Well, another time through, and I still don't care for Romeo and Juliet. I've been a silly teenager, and I have silly teenagers, I have parents who have been wrong-headed, and I am a parent who is sometimes wrong-headed (some say “frequently”), and I still find the characters here utterly unsympathetic and annoying. In large part, I think, the idea of “love at first sight” just irritates me so much that all the stupidities that follow are just icing on the cake, and that's coming from someone who married her husband after two weeks' acquaintance, so I believe I can claim some experience in the area of efficient assessment of compatibility.. While I fully sympathize with those who find extended dating wearisome, Romeo and Juliet spend so little time in conversation – one joint sonnet does not a relationship make – that their “love” never appears to move beyond hormone crazed obsession. The most tragic aspect of the story is that the nurse and the friar, foolishly indulgent, assist these ridiculous kids in their melodramatic stunts.

As with the other plays I've read so far in this “year of Shakespeare,” I read Garber's chapter on “Romeo & Juliet,” from her wonderful Shakespeare After All, before reading the play. Her analysis did improve my reading, but, sadly, recognition of artistic merit does not always translate into real appreciation. When Juliet wails that she'd rather her parents and everyone else she knows were dead than that the boy she's met just the day before was banished, and, across town, Romeo is lying on the floor of the friar's cell, howling and kicking his heels because there was a consequence for killing Tybalt (who'd have thought?), the play seems to me to shift, not as Garber suggests, from comedy to tragedy, but, rather, into the realm of farce. Overwrought teenagers yowling like a pair of sex crazed alley cats because their romantic evening plans have been overturned hardly qualify as tragedy, and the nurse's eager plan to accommodate them with one night of passion (her enthusiasm for the deflowering of the thirteen year old girl she's raised is just creepy) doesn't help. The “tragedy” is that, instead of sensible friends, these youngsters, deranged with sudden infatuation and lust, have dimwitted adults to encourage and pander to them in their harebrained schemes.

The poetry is lovely, the literary and dramatic effects are masterful, but I just don't care for the story. The final couplet, “For never was a story of more woe, than this of Juliet and her Romeo,” leaves me not with any feelings of sorrow for these violent, petulant brats, but simply disgust.

For this reading I used the Updated Folger Shakespeare Library edition, which is nicely formatted with notes opposite each page of text, and read along with the audio recording by L.A. Theatre Works (2012) starring Calista Flockhart, Matthew Wolf, etc. While I rate this play at three stars for my enjoyment of the story, the dramatic performance by Flockhart and Co. is really superb! Definitely a five star production. So maybe I should rate the play at four stars? (I notice that I previously rated it at four.) Still, my “inner teen” stamps her foot and pouts, and I stick with my emotion-guided three star rating.
*Okay. I forgot LT allows half stars. Three and a half, then. ( )
  meandmybooks | Apr 11, 2017 |
This is a great introductory piece for Ninth grade. This particular work is good in portraying the dangers of infatuation and young love, as well as introducing students to a popular theme within a number of Shakespeare's works--fate. ( )
  alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |

Is parodied in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,

That I shall say good night till it be morrow.
This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,

May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.
A plague o' both your houses!
Romeo and Juliet (the play) ISBN 9780942208665
Romeo and Juliet Director's Playbook (play plus theatrical production sections) ISBN 9780942208658.
Please distinguish between this work, which is Shakespeare's original play, from any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
The most iconic love story of all time, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is an epic-scale tragedy of desire and revenge. Despite the bitter rivalry that exists between their families, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet have fallen madly in love. But when the long-running rivalry boils over into murder, the young couple must embark on a dangerous and deadly mission to preserve their love at any cost.

An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring:
Darren Richardson as Sampson and Peter
Alan Shearman as Lord Montague and others
André Sogliuzzo as Gregory and others
Sarah Zimmerman as Lady Montague and others

Directed by Martin Jarvis.
Recorded at the Invisible Studios, West Hollywood in January, 2012.

"Love moderately,"
said the Friar to the kids.
Wish they had listened.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477111, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play Scene-by-scene plot summaries A key to famous lines and phrases An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

Provides the text of the play, accompanied by notes and an introduction. Also includes a section of study questions and a brief biography of Shakespeare.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Shakespeare's book The Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714847, 0141012269, 0141335378

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175153, 1909175161

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100025, 1449879675

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible