The tragedy of Romeo and Juliet by William…

The tragedy of Romeo and Juliet (original 1594; edition 1954)

by William Shakespeare

20,167202110 (3.76)464
Member:donutage
Title:The tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:New Haven, Yale University Press [1954] vi, 174 p. 18 cm. [Rev. ed.]
Collections:Moorestown
Tags:drama, british, Shakespeare, Yale Shakespeare, 16c, tragedy, elizabethan

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (1594)

The Romance of Tristan and Iseult by Joseph Bédier (JGKC)
    Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Shakespeare's treatments of passionate, irrational and self-destructive love between teenagers (R&J) and mature people (A&C) make for a truly fascinating comparison. The vastly greater political and metaphysical implications, as well as the extreme concentration of the language, in the later play show how far Shakespeare developed for just over a decade.… (more)
    The Tryst Tale by Duane Romana (femme)
    La Celestina by Fernando de Rojas (longway)
    The Boy Next Door: A Novel by Irene Sabatini (infiniteletters)

English (186)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (204)
Romeo and Juliet- Manga Classics – by William Shakespeare, by Stacy King, Crystal S. Chan (Adaptation), Julien Choy (Art), Akanovas (Lettering), Jeannie Lee (Lettering)

There is no need to go into the synopsis or plot of one of William Shakespeare’s most famous plays. We all know the basics of this story by now. Many have read the play in school or have seen a stage or movie adaptation at one point. So, I think it is safe to skip the analysis.

For me, Manga is something I flat out ignored for years because I presumed without ever giving it a fair chance that it would not be something I’d enjoy. Then I discovered it was often geared towards teens or young adults, which was yet another strike against it. But, by sheer accident, I discovered Manga covered a lot of areas, and was much more complex than I’d given it credit for.

Having gotten to an age where I’ve dipped my toes in many different genres, and sub-genres, I find that the ‘I’ve outgrown this’ or ‘aged out of’ attitude closes off many unexplored avenues and because I like to think I’m open minded, I’ve begun to reconsider areas I’ve previously closed off. As a result, I’m having a lot of fun learning about Manga, Graphic Novels, and Comics.

Much to my surprise, I’ve found a nice selection of classic stories, in Manga/Graphic Novel format. After recently reading a memoir by Olivia Hussey, the actress who portrayed Juliet in the famous Zeffirelli 1968 film, this play was on my mind quite a lot. So, when I noticed this Manga version on Netgalley, it grabbed my attention immediately.

For anyone who may be thinking the dialogue is 'updated' with more modern dialect, you’d be wrong. This is the same script you’d find in the original play- except there are no stage directions. Instead, those are replaced by images, which works out much better than I’d have imagined. The artwork is spectacular, as is the adaptation. Obviously, a great deal of thought went into how to present this classic in Manga form, and I’d say it came off beautifully. Granted, I’m still a novice at this, but I was pleased with the presentation.

I did have a few technical issues, since this one is not in Kindle/ MOBI format. I had to use Adobe Edition, which is a pain, and the scrolling was terrible, especially since, of course it’s back to front. Several times my screen jumped to the end of the book and caused a great deal of frustration.

Shakespeare is still difficult to read and adjusting to this format made it an even bigger challenge. It took me a good long while to get through it. (If anyone has a suggestion on how to make this less daunting- please feel free to offer me some suggestions.)

However, despite the heaviness of the drama, and the extra effort it required to read the book, I was impressed, and enjoyed reading this classic with the well-drawn illustrations and art work which certainly enriched and enhanced my experience.

Despite the disdain of melodrama- I liked all the angst between Romeo and Juliet- but not that sad ending! It still makes a great cautionary tale- even after all these years. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Oct 1, 2018 |
Re-reading!

Currently free at Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Romeo-Juliet-AmazonClassics-William-Shakespeare-ebook/dp/B071GC1H2G/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505570538&sr=1-3&keywords=romeo and juliet by william shakespeare

I had to read this novel in school – now let me tell you I hated this book with passion in school – BECAUSE I HAD TO! I was quite a rebellion in my time, well nothing changed I am still a rebellion ;-)

Many school kids back in my day didn't appreciate this tragedy because Shakespeare used a lot of bizarre arguments to our ears. I'm delighted to understand it know, but I think main reason is I wanted to understand this novel I felt like I got a sense for his artwork Shakespeare created.

This picture was for me at school, eye rolling and complaining a lot – well said Sir Tom!
I Bow my head in Shame! :-(

This is me now as a Shakespeare Lover :D

Once I left school I watched some Shakespeare movies – and I decided I must read this gem again – I have read it 4x since I left school!

Schubert - Ave Maria

“You kiss by the book.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Background on Shakespeare: (again wiki)
William Shakespeare 26 April 1564 (baptised) – 23 April 1616) was an English poet, playwright, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet, and the "Bard of Avon". His extant works, including collaborations, consist of approximately 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses, some of uncertain authorship. His plays have been translated into every major living language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.

Prologue OR Chapter 1

Guiltless young love condemned due to inevitable environments:

"From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star-crossed lovers take their life; whose misadventure’s piteous overthrows, doth with their death bury their parents' strife." This is part of the opening prologue from William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." From this opening you can get a strong portrait of the events that take place in this play

Two adolescents from conflicting clans fall in love, marry in secret, and take their own lives rather than live without each other.

Despite the teenage melodrama, "Romeo and Juliet" remains one of Shakespeare's most durable and widespread plays, even if it wasn't his best -- lots of demise, teen lovers and captivating dialogue.

Type of Characters and my choices according to pictures :

Relationship development
In the city of Verona, the Montagues and Capulets are protected in a lethal grudge. Then a Montague youth named Romeo, besotted with a Capulet girl named Rosaline, sneaks into a party to see her.... but instead meets another Capulet lass named Juliet, and the two instantly fall in love. Since their families hate each other, their love must be articulated in top-secret.

Chapter Development
Expecting to unite the two families, the kind-hearted priest Friar Lawrence assists the two in marrying in secret. But then Juliet's cousin Tybalt challenges Romeo to a duel, leading to the demise of two men -- and Romeo's outcast from Verona. Even worse, the Capulets have decided to marry Juliet to Count Paris -- leading to a frantic plan that goes extremely askew.

Romeo:
If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

Juliet:
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Romeo:
Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?

Juliet:
Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.

Romeo:
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Juliet:
Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.

Romeo:
Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.

My feelings while reading this: → Will I read it again?→
Above all, fear not; and dare to dive into this torrent of love!

Juliet:
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.

Romeo:
Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!
Give me my sin again.
“Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say goodnight till it be morrow.”

To the Author

“Don't waste your love on somebody, who doesn't value it.”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triump die, like fire and powder
Which, as they kiss, consume”
― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Rating: 4.0/5

Plot

Romeo and Juliet is the classic tragedy of western literature. Created by William Shakespeare, it is tale of two very young lovers from Verona, Italy who defy the wishes of their feuding families, get married then, and tragically, end their own lives in the name of love. It is their deaths that ultimately help the rival families of the Capulet's and Montague's find reconciliation. Manga Classics brings an incredible new reading experience with this adaptation of Shakespeare's most popular and frequently performed plays: Romeo and Juliet.

How I got this Book
I got to read this book through Netgalley.

The Positives

 This is a great way to revisit a story that most people read multiple times in school. The beautiful artwork gives it a new feeling that allows you to enjoy the story multiple times.
 Reading this story as a manga gives new meaning to Old English. Words that didn’t quite make sense the first time you read it? Well now you have gorgeous works of art to help you see and feel what you should have the first time around.
 The characters are portrayed to perfection how I feel Shakespeare meant for them to be seen. You feel the innocence of some of the characters, you feel the tension caused by the feud, and you feel the infatuation between Romeo and Juliet. If you are anything like me you also have a renewed revulsion for the disgustingly slimy Count Paris.

The Negatives

So I am not really sure that I can count this as a negative of the book, or if I should just count it as a negative based on my personal feelings. I knew when I picked this manga up that it was going to be a classic, and therefore would be written in the original way. This became an issue for me as I kept wanting to stop and lost track of what was going on at times. This isn’t really a flaw with the book, but it did give me a slightly negative view of it, which is what caused me to give it a solid 4 out of 5.

Overall

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who loves the classics, loves Shakespeare, and loves manga. I personally found it harder to enjoy because of the flowery language Shakespeare was so known for, but it truly is a masterpiece that combines the past with the present. ( )
  epiloguereviews | Sep 17, 2018 |
Elementary-High,
  ChatterMatters | Aug 9, 2018 |
I mean it's Romeo and Juliet, what can one say? ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |

Is parodied in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,

That I shall say good night till it be morrow.
This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,

May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet.
A plague o' both your houses!
Romeo and Juliet (the play) ISBN 9780942208665
Romeo and Juliet Director's Playbook (play plus theatrical production sections) ISBN 9780942208658.
Please distinguish between this work, which is Shakespeare's original play, from any of its many adaptations (audio, video, reworking, etc.).
The most iconic love story of all time, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is an epic-scale tragedy of desire and revenge. Despite the bitter rivalry that exists between their families, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet have fallen madly in love. But when the long-running rivalry boils over into murder, the young couple must embark on a dangerous and deadly mission to preserve their love at any cost.

An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring:
Darren Richardson as Sampson and Peter
Alan Shearman as Lord Montague and others
André Sogliuzzo as Gregory and others
Sarah Zimmerman as Lady Montague and others

Directed by Martin Jarvis.
Recorded at the Invisible Studios, West Hollywood in January, 2012.

"Love moderately,"
said the Friar to the kids.
Wish they had listened.

(Carnophile)
Is it star-crossed love?
Should the Friar have hosed them?
A little of both.
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477111, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play Scene-by-scene plot summaries A key to famous lines and phrases An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:37 -0400)

Provides the text of the play, accompanied by notes and an introduction. Also includes a section of study questions and a brief biography of Shakespeare.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Shakespeare's book The Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714847, 0141012269, 0141335378

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Sourcebooks MediaFusion

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks MediaFusion.

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175153, 1909175161

Recorded Books

2 editions of this book were published by Recorded Books.

Editions: 1456100025, 1449879675

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,150,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible