Monsieur Ibrahim Und Die Blumen DES Koran…

Monsieur Ibrahim Und Die Blumen DES Koran (German Edition) (original 2001; edition 2004)

by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt (Author)

7871916,805 (3.72)31
Member:timoheuer
Title:Monsieur Ibrahim Und Die Blumen DES Koran (German Edition)
Authors:Eric Emmanuel Schmitt (Author)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH (2004)
Tags:lang:de

Mr. Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt (Author) (2001)

Recently added byYannickem, private library, pinosan, roquier, KriRand70, kmzaytoon, Piezke, GCLendingLibrary
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Also a beautiful touching little book about the things that are most important in life.

French (7)  English (5)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (19)
It’s been months since I’ve read much, unfortunately, and even though I keep adding books to my to read list, most languish there. My friend Chrissie has given me some wonderful book suggestions. The books I’ve read, I’ve liked a lot. Many of her recommendations remain on my to read shelf. This one, I read almost as soon as I learned of it, and I’m so glad that I did.

This book contains two short novellas. I borrowed the book to read the second one “Oscar and the Lady in Pink” but since the book came with the other novella, I decided to read that too, especially after Chrissie said it was an even better book, and I also liked that story slightly more, so I feel very lucky both were in one book.

As an lifelong atheist, I wouldn’t have thought I’d have liked these stories, because they basically ask the reader to believe in god, but I found them enchanting, maybe because even more, they ask the reader to believe in life, with all its suffering and its pleasures, and all told with a perspicacious sense of humor. They’re among the most life affirming stories I’ve ever read. I wasn’t 100% wild about the very ending of the second novella but my displeasure wasn’t enough reduce my star rating.

I’m so mad at myself that I didn’t note and mark down quotes as I read. There are so many beautifully communicated lines.

“Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran”:

This is incredibly special. I found it delightful and so sad and so very hilarious too. In its relatively small number of pages it somehow is able to look deeply into a friendship and into other relationships as well, and do so over many years. It’s a skillfully and beautifully told story. At times it broke my heart, it touched me throughout, and ultimately I found it incredibly uplifting. I’m so glad I came upon it in the same book as the novella I wanted to read. There are so many layers to this story. It’s a real gem.

“Oscar and the Lady in Pink”:

Great idea! Great minor twist at the end. As with the first novella, it’s very sad and very funny. Sometimes at the most somber times there would appear a line that had me burst into laughter. Another gem, and I love cancer stories so this one was right up my alley.

I don’t want to say too much about either book. I’m glad I knew very little about the stories before I read the book, just enough of each one to whet my desire to read them.

This book would be an excellent choice for my read world book club. We’re often looking for shorter books and always looking for books of substance. I read quickly, one novella one day and the other one the next day, and yet I was able to fully savor both. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Tra i libri di Schmitt questo non è il mio preferito, ma è comunque bellissimo : e’ un romanzo brevissimo che, in certi punti, ha il gusto della poesia. Il messaggio di uguaglianza ed empatia umana che trasmette e’ potente , senza mai cadere in buonismi scontati ( )
  mara4m | Jun 8, 2011 |
Momo, a young Jewish boy living with his unhappy, unloving father strikes up an unlikely friendship with monsieur Ibrahim, the muslim owner of the local grocer that Momo sometimes steals tins of food from. A beautiful touching little book about the things that are most important in life. ( )
2 vote Smiler69 | Nov 7, 2010 |
très bon livre. Un peu court ! Amène à refléchir sur la vie. A lire ( )
  maelle | Mar 24, 2008 |
A beautiful little book about beliefs, life and that many things are never what they seem to be.
Moses, the jew meets Monsieur Ibrahim, the sufi and life is never the same again. He starts to smile, he learns to get through life, even if it is by cheating sometimes.
They go on a journey together on which Moses loses something important but gains so much more.
It is a short book and I usually don't like books about religion too much, but this one I love. It is about a lost boy finding himself and his place in this world. ( )
  Thalia | Apr 7, 2006 |

Schmitt, Eric-EmmanuelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kemmner, ErnstEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pour Bruno Abraham-Kremer
A treize ans, j'ai cassé mon cochon et je suis allé voir les putes.

In early 1960s Paris, a Turkish deli owner makes friends with a young Jewish boy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible