Queen Bee: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank

Queen Bee: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Dorothea Benton Frank (Author)

Beekeeper Holly McNee Kensen quietly lives in a world of her own on Sullivan's Island, tending her hives and working at the local island library. Holly calls her mother The Queen Bee because she's a demanding hulk of a woman. Her mother, a devoted hypochondriac, might be unaware that she's quite ill, but that doesn't stop her from tormenting Holly. To escape the drama, Holly's sister Leslie married and moved away, wanting little to do with island life. Holly's escape is to submerge herself in the lives of the two young boys next door and their widowed father, Archie. Her world is upended when the more flamboyant Leslie returns and both sisters, opposites, fixate on what's happening in their neighbor's home. Is Archie really in love with that awful ice queen of a woman? If Archie marries her, what will become of his little boys?… (more)
Member:lynnsheehan
Title:Queen Bee: A Novel
Authors:Dorothea Benton Frank (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2019), Edition: First Edition, 432 pages
Collections:To read

Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank

Starts slow but picks up. ( )
  NixieH | Oct 12, 2019 |
I loved reading this library book, Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank! Sadly while I was reading Queen Bee, I heard the news that she died! Rest in peace Dorothea Benton Frank! I have enjoyed reading many of her books!
Now back to my review! Beekeeper Holly McNee lives quietly in her own world with her here as her major enjoyment. She takes care of her mother, whom she calls The Queen Bee. Her mother is a very demanding hypochondriac that finds out she has cancer.
Holly's sister, Leslie moves back to Sullivans Island after her world as she knows is upended. The sisters are both worried about their mother and also the neighbor, Archie and his two boys. Archie meets and marries a selfish, uncaring woman who has no use for his two boys which angers the sisters. What transpires makes this so entertaining, unforgettable, can't put down, warm, hilarious read.
Dorothea Benton Frank also tells us about bees and their antics which was very informative, and also a story of human antics that happen in the low country! If you want book with so many emotions then read Queen Bee! ( )
  rbooth43 | Sep 25, 2019 |
Farewell Dottie. Your wit and humor never failed to make me laugh, particularly in person. You taught me things, loved our beloved lowcountry and shared it with so many. I didn’t alway like your books, but they always provoked a reaction and I’d always pick up the next one. You were a highlight at the book and authors luncheon which you hosted with the Post and Courier Newspaper. And you were an Ashley Hall girl as am I. I shall miss you, your books, and your unfailing love of the lowcountry. Rest In Peace, Dorothea Benton Frank. May the wings of angels carry you home. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 16, 2019 |
***** Five more stars for the last book we will have by a favorite author of mine, Dorothea Benton Frank, I loved this book as I had everything she has ever written. The family on the little island gets along at a leisurely pace and takes care of their own, whether good or bad, that's what family and friends are for. She will be forever in our hearts, I wish I was one that could reread books, too many on my TBR shelf for that, but I ENVY anyone who will discover her and get to do that. Bless her family. ( )
  mchwest | Sep 11, 2019 |
Bought my own copy. I can't believe Dorothea Benton Frank has died. So very sad. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Sep 5, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,812,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible