The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver

The Coffin Dancer (1998)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (2)

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Another well-written book in the series from this author. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I loved this book and found it compelling to read , the quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme bring the mastermind forensic investigator with Amelia Sachs as his partner . ( )
  Suzannie1 | Aug 24, 2014 |
The Coffin Dancer is America 's most wanted hit-man. He's been hired by an airline owner who wants three witnesses disposed of before his trial, and has got the first, a pilot, by blowing up the whole plane. Lincoln Rhyme has the task of keeping the witnesses safe and finding the Coffin Dancer.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I had to compulsively finish this book off! It was so fast paced that I was left wondering if I had really read the book. The ending honestly was a super surprise. It one the books that got me to the edge of the seat. But then I felt at certain places the writing could have been better. ( )
  ShreeJan | Jul 29, 2013 |
If you haven't read The Coffin Dancer, and you want the plot to surprise you, do not read my review after this first paragraph -- do not read anyone's review. I don't know whether I'm quicker or slower on the uptake than the average reader of Deaver's work, but a cursory glance at reviews here was enough to flick the switches in my brain and have me figuring things out ahead of Rhyme and co. So if you want to be left reeling, play it safe and stay out of people's reviews.

Yeah, there was some stuff that I didn't get, but it was mostly the minor stuff. The Chekhov's guns, the little details that locked possibilities into probabilities. (Which, by the way, I deeply admired. There is literal Chekhov's gun moment, and I loved it.) The betrayals, identity issues (still trying not to spoil it for the unwary reader), the motives -- that I got. I still think it was well done, in all those respects, but I envy people who get to come to this novel without any clues beforehand.

What caught me off guard was how much I care. Lincoln Rhyme could be my modern Peter Wimsey: a detective I become invested in on a personal level as well as just for the mysteries. That adds so much to these sorts of stories. Like, I was somewhat ambivalent about NCIS, because Gibbs seemed so goddamn immortal, and it was just about wrapping up the case, and then came the end of season two and then over the whole course of the show, more and more comes spilling out about Gibbs' past and just -- yeah. And I have that investment here, already, in Sachs and Rhyme. Less so in the supporting cast, but still. I found myself feeling edgy, because I wasn't sure if things would go right, on a personal level as well as in terms of the case.

Couple of things did bother me: the latent homosexuality thing, the abused as a child thing, the killer with OCD thing. Come on. I wrote essays about crime fiction from decades before doing this sort of thing. It's not new. It's a cliché. Can we move on, now? ( )
  shanaqui | Jun 6, 2013 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No hawk can be a pet. There is no sentimentality. In a way, it is the psychiatrist's art. One is matching one's mind against another mind with deadly reason and interest. -The Goshawk, T.H. White
To the memory of my grandmother Ethel May Rider
When Edward Carney said good-bye to his wife, Percey, he never thought it would be the last time he'd see her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671024094, Mass Market Paperback)

This return engagement for quadriplegic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme is strong on forensic details as Rhyme tracks an elusive assassin known only by the tattoo that gives this fast-paced thriller its title.

Three witnesses to a murder could put a millionaire arms dealer behind bars for good. When one of them, the co-owner of Hudson Air, is blown up in a plane bombing with the Dancer's fingerprints all over it, the FBI takes the other witnesses into protective custody. Only Rhyme can decipher a crime scene, read the residue of a bombing, or identify a handful of dirt well enough to keep up with the killer. Helped by Amelia Sachs, his brilliant and able-bodied assistant, Rhyme traces the Dancer through Manhattan streets, airports, and subways. The psychological tension builds rapidly from page one all the way to the stunning and unexpected denouement. At the same time, Jeffery Deaver slowly develops the against-all-odds love affair between Rhyme and Sachs. Fans of Patricia Cornwell and others in the growing subgenre of forensic thrillers will find a lot to enjoy in Deaver's latest. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:47 -0400)

The New York Times proclaimed Jeffery Deaver's previous bestselling novels "dazzling" (The Bone Collector) and "a screaming hit" (A Maiden's Grave). Now he combines spine-chilling forensic detail with gripping suspense to keep his trademark plot twists -- and brilliant, driven hero -- moving at breathtaking speed. Detective Lincoln Rhyme, the foremost criminals in the NYPD, joins his beautiful protege, Amelia Sachs, in the hunt for the Coffin Dancer -- an ingenious killer who changes his appearance even faster than he adds to his trail of victims. So far, they have only one clue: the assassin has a tattoo on his arm -- of the Grim Reaper waltzing with a woman in front of a coffin. Rhyme, a quadriplegic from a line-of-duty accident, must rely on his wits and Sachs's intuition to track the elusive murderer through the subways, parks, and airports of an ever-tumultuous New York City -- knowing they have only forty-eight hours before the Coffin Dancer strikes again.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible