Coffin Dancer Header by Jeffrey Deaver

Coffin Dancer Header (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Jeffrey Deaver

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:Coffin Dancer Header
Authors:Jeffrey Deaver
Info:Coronet Books (1998), Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver (1998)

English (33)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
I was a little disappointed in this one. There were twists I didn't see or figure out however I it lost easily through out the book with the plane/pooled talk and I really wasn't a fan of the Percy character. It had a good plot but just wasn't as good as the first one. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver; (3*)

While still a fairly good read, I found this one sub-par to Deaver's first outing in this series. I will continue on with the series, however. I cannot really put my finger on the what & why of it which made me not really care for The Coffin Dancer. The intrigue was there & definitely the twists. I guess it will remain a 'mystery'. ( )
  rainpebble | Jun 26, 2018 |
I managed to re-read The Bone Collector a couple of years back without vomiting, so I thought I would try a sequel - never again! Why are these novels so INSUFFERABLY SMUG? Hey there reader, did you forget how stunningly beautiful Amelia Sachs is, with her shampoo ad red hair and 'Julia Roberts' lips? Or how incredibly handsome Lincoln Rhyme is, with his 'Tom Cruise' nose (why on God's green earth would anyone choose Tom Cruise as the epitome of a good looking nose?) And how none of the detectives they work with are merely good at their jobs, but almost supernaturally talented at whatever they do? Then let Jeffrey Deaver remind you! On. Every. Single, Page.

I will say that that the twist in the tale was a corker which hooked me again, but - HOLY HELL - the steaming pile of cliches I had to wade through to get to that point was not worth the reading time. And if the characters aren't beautiful or handsome, with movie star features, then they are patronised to within an inch of their life. Poor Percey, the serial killer's intended victim, has her ugliness - I'm guessing she would just be an average looking woman in any book but this - hammered home, from the 'troll' nicknames she remembers from school to being called 'plucky'. Because if a woman can't be a supermodel, then the next best compliment is that she acts like a man - unless she's Amelia Sachs, of course, who is both a stunner and a ballsy mechanic/driver/crack shot (*yawn*).

So anyway, buried underneath all the Hollywood hype, there is a Columbo-style forensic puzzle to solve, in which we know the killer - the chapters alternate between him and Lincoln's dicks - and forget that we're supposed to be cheering on the plucky widowed pilot and actual want the Coffin Dancer to finish off the good guys, especially Sachs. Or was that just me? ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 9, 2018 |
2.5 stars

Lincoln Rhyme is a quadriplegic detective. He works with Amelia Sachs. The “Coffin Dancer” is a killer for hire who has killed a number of people. This time he’s after two women (after having killed the one woman’s husband already). While others try to keep the women safe, Rhyme and Sachs are trying to catch the killer.

I listened to the audio for this one, and I’m not sure if it was due to the narrator (Joe Mantegna, from Criminal Minds) that I lost focus so much, due to the story, or due to the poor quality of the audio. There was white noise in the background and it sounded kind of like an echo; I think there was something cut off at at least one point, as well).

I really liked the first in the series, and part of what I liked was the interplay between Rhyme and Sachs, but I didn’t “feel” that at all in this one. Again, not sure if it was the audio or something else for that. Surprising to me (this doesn’t happen often), I found myself paying more attention to the sections that focused on the killer. I will likely read the 3rd in the series to decide whether or not I want to continue on, but I will try to remember to avoid the audio. Oh, crap! I’m looking closer to see that I got an abridged version. Sigh… Wonder if that made a difference? ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 5, 2016 |
Vũ điệu của Thần Chết là sự trở lại đầy ấn tượng của nhà hình sự học lừng danh Lincoln Rhyme cùng nữ cảnh sát xinh đẹp Amelia Sachs và đồng nghiệp. Lần này họ phải lần theo dấu vết của tên giết người chuyên nghiệp mà Rhyme đã hiểu quá rõ, kẻ mang hình xăm kỳ quái trên bắp tay: hình Thần Chết đang nhảy múa với một phụ nữ ngay phía trước chiếc quan tài, vũ khí đáng sợ nhất của hắn không phải là dao hoặc súng mà là sự hiểu biết đến kỳ lạ về bản chất con người…

Đọc Vũ điệu của Thần Chết một lần nữa bạn đọc sẽ được hòa mình vào những cuộc đấu trí nảy lửa, những cuộc rượt đuổi ngoạn mục trong suốt hành trình tìm kiếm Vũ công Quan tài, kẻ nắm giữ sức mạnh ghê gớm của Tử Thần.

“Đừng nghĩ đến chuyện có thể nuôi chim ưng làm cảnh. Ở đây không có chỗ cho sự ủy mị. Xét ở góc độ nhất định, đó là nghệ thuật của một bác sĩ tâm thần. Là một cuộc đấu trí giữa hai bên với động cơ và lợi ích chết người!
  Phuong_Susu | Apr 7, 2016 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Massaron, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No hawk can be a pet. There is no sentimentality. In a way, it is the psychiatrist's art. One is matching one's mind against another mind with deadly reason and interest. -The Goshawk, T.H. White
To the memory of my grandmother Ethel May Rider
When Edward Carney said good-bye to his wife, Percey, he never thought it would be the last time he'd see her.

Detective Lincoln Rhyme, the foremost criminalist in the NYPD, joins his beautiful protege, Amelia Sachs, in the hunt for the Coffin Dancer - an ingenious killer who changes his appearance even faster than he adds to his trail of victims. So far, they have only one clue: the assassin has a tattoo on his arm - of the Grim Reaper waltzing with a woman in front of a coffin. Rhyme, a quadriplegic from a line-of-duty accident, must rely on his wits and Sachs's intuition to track the elusive murderer through the subways, parks, and airports of an ever-tumultuous New York City - knowing they have only forty-eight hours before the Coffin Dancer strikes again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671024094, Mass Market Paperback)

This return engagement for quadriplegic criminologist Lincoln Rhyme is strong on forensic details as Rhyme tracks an elusive assassin known only by the tattoo that gives this fast-paced thriller its title.

Three witnesses to a murder could put a millionaire arms dealer behind bars for good. When one of them, the co-owner of Hudson Air, is blown up in a plane bombing with the Dancer's fingerprints all over it, the FBI takes the other witnesses into protective custody. Only Rhyme can decipher a crime scene, read the residue of a bombing, or identify a handful of dirt well enough to keep up with the killer. Helped by Amelia Sachs, his brilliant and able-bodied assistant, Rhyme traces the Dancer through Manhattan streets, airports, and subways. The psychological tension builds rapidly from page one all the way to the stunning and unexpected denouement. At the same time, Jeffery Deaver slowly develops the against-all-odds love affair between Rhyme and Sachs. Fans of Patricia Cornwell and others in the growing subgenre of forensic thrillers will find a lot to enjoy in Deaver's latest. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

The New York Times proclaimed Jeffery Deaver's previous bestselling novels "dazzling" (The Bone Collector) and "a screaming hit" (A Maiden's Grave). Now he combines spine-chilling forensic detail with gripping suspense to keep his trademark plot twists -- and brilliant, driven hero -- moving at breathtaking speed.Detective Lincoln Rhyme, the foremost criminals in the NYPD, joins his beautiful protege, Amelia Sachs, in the hunt for the Coffin Dancer -- an ingenious killer who changes his appearance even faster than he adds to his trail of victims. So far, they have only one clue: the assassin has a tattoo on his arm -- of the Grim Reaper waltzing with a woman in front of a coffin. Rhyme, a quadriplegic from a line-of-duty accident, must rely on his wits and Sachs's intuition to track the elusive murderer through the subways, parks, and airports of an ever-tumultuous New York City -- knowing they have only forty-eight hours before the Coffin Dancer strikes again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,353,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible