Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With…

Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and… (original 1936; edition 2004)

by Sergei Prokofiev, Janet Schulman (Adapter), Peter Malone (Illustrator)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and Narrated CD
Authors:Sergei Prokofiev
Other authors:Janet Schulman (Adapter), Peter Malone (Illustrator)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: Har/Com, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Children

Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev (1936)

I expected to love this book....and I didn't :) I really wanted to see how Rashcka would handle this "jazz standard" of the elementary music classroom. I can't say that I was disappointed as much as disinterested in the verbal aesthetic. The artwork was incredible. I felt like Rashcka missed his audience a bit with this book - placing too many silly words on a page and overdoing the effect. Younger elementary kids would find that the book moves to slowly. Older kids might be put off by the voice. I do love any way to re-imagine this lesson which, when I'm teaching, can easily feel like I'm offering my students twice-warmed Dinty-Moore stew.

Taking into account my own reader response (one sleepy mid-afternoon reader here), I think it's only fair to Raschka that I read this book again, and aloud before striking my gavel too hard and declaring it guilty of inducing snoozes.
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
Peter’s Grandfather warns him not to go into the forest, and when Peter doesn’t listen and goes anyways, he gets caught. While in the forest, Peter looks over a wall and sees a wolf that is eating a duck and chasing a bird and cat. The bird and Peter work together and capture the wolf in the end. ( )
  esproull | Mar 2, 2012 |
Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf is reworked visually and narratively by Chris Raschka. The book makes a good read-aloud with many parts, fun repetition and interesting word sequences. Children will especially enjoy the 3-dimensional miniatures that Raschka created. ( )
  johnlobe | Jul 20, 2010 |
This retelling of the musical story of Peter and the Wolf is hard to get into at first. The language feels stilted and the attempt to capture the musical beat doesn't work for me. However, my daughter loved it when I read it aloud - so maybe it sounds funnier than I thought.
  scducharme | Sep 6, 2009 |
this book is about a boys determination to achieve his goal even if his grandfather tells him not to do it. During his anventures forerest animals help him along the way to kill the wolf.
  Sweetiesjm | Jun 8, 2009 |

Sergei Prokofievprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chappell, WarrenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, HollisCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koussevitzky, SergeForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikolaycak, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Retells the orchestral fairy tale of the boy who, ignoring his grandfather's warnings, proceeds to capture a wolf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,629,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible