Dead Souls by Michael Laimo

Dead Souls (edition 2007)

by Michael Laimo

Member:Skaidon
Title:Dead Souls
Authors:Michael Laimo
Info:Dorchester Publishing Company (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Rating:*****

Dead Souls by Michael Laimo

The Demonologist was better, but not bad, anyway. ( )
  ncsbooks | Oct 21, 2010 |
This is the first Michael Laimo book that I have read, and it has definitely left me wanting more of his work. So many writers fall short, leaving me feeling disappointed and with a resolve not to give them anymore of my money. But every once in a while a writer will come along that captures my imagination and my loyalty as a reader. With books like this one, I can see that Michael Laimo is quickly going to become one of those writers and his books are going to work their way into every nook and cranny in my house.

This book was creepy, bloody, and well written - everything you need for a good horror novel. ( )
  lesleydawn | Nov 2, 2007 |
A great read for any horror fan! ( )
  Scaryguy | Sep 5, 2007 |
Interesting, well-written.

Dead Souls by Michael Laimo

Fast-paced, easy read. Fans of occult horror should like this. Not overtly graphic. Interesting theory about the resurrection of Christ but I won't spoil it for you. Right-wing Christian zealots would probably not enjoy this book but my guess is that they wouldn't be reading this kind of thing anyway. Alot of flipping back and forth in time and person which I always find bothersome until you've read enough to familiarize yourself with the characters. But, overall a pretty good story.

I haven't read any of his other work but this book was good enough that I probably will pick up this author's work again when I see it. You check out his other books at his website.

Excerpt from the inside cover:

THE HORROR BEHIND THE DOOR
Eddie raced up the steps to the second-floor landing.
Here he saw Elizabeth.
She was standing in the shadowy hallway, pale and terrified, her right hand cupped over her mouth,
tears pouring down her face. She was staring unblinkingly into a room.
"Elizabeth?" Eddie called, his voice an injured whisper. "What's going on here?"
She shook her head in a quick panic. "No... no... no...," she sobbed, her gaze still fixed on whatever
was in the room.
Eddie ran to her. He smelled something horrible. He grabbed her hand, still crusted with grime and blood.
"What is it? What's going on?"
Finally she turned toward him, clearly in shock, her eyes wide and frozen. Her body was stiff as a board,
the dirty robe pulled tightly around her waist. "We're... in... hell...," she muttered.
Eddie turned and looked into the room.
My God, we are in hell. ( )
  grendell | Mar 18, 2007 |
Der Mann legt eine Pause ein.

New England preacher Benjamin Conroy thought he had it all figured out. The keys to his family's eternal salvation lied in an ancient Egyptian ritual to the god Osiris. Following a little black magic... and the crucifixion of his entire family... the Conroys would rise from the dead, united for all of eternity, bringing Salvation to the world. Assuming, that is, that the ritual went off with out a hitch. But for the Conroys, things went drastically wrong, and death was just the beginning of their suffering.

17 years later, 18-year-old Johnny Petrie receives a letter from a lawyer stating that he is the sole heir to the Conroy estate, a property valued at nearly 2 million dollars. Seeking to escape the isolation of his overprotective, religious zealot family, Johnny leaves Manhattan on the morning of his father's suicide, seeking a new life.

What follows is a roller coaster ride of chills as Johnny begins to realize that he has inherited far more than an estate. Laimo masterfully takes us back and forth through time, alternating between the perspectives of the Conroy family in 1988 and the young Petrie boy in 2005. Events unfold in perfect sequence, revealing just enough to keep you eagerly flipping to the next chapter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible