dismiss

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (1811)

by Jane Austen

30,11941663 (4.13)4 / 1474
Published in 1811, Sense and Sensibility has delighted generations of readers with its masterfully crafted portrait of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Forced to leave their home after their father's death, Elinor and Marianne must rely on making good marriages as their means of support. But unscrupulous cads, meddlesome matriarchs, and various guileless and artful women impinge on their chances for love and happiness. The novelist Elizabeth Bowen wrote, "The technique of ÝJane Austen's novels¨ is beyond praise....Her mastery of the art she chose, or that chose her, is complete." This Modern Library Paperback Classics edition contains a new Introduction by Pulitzer Prize finalist David Gates, in addition to new explanatory notes.… (more)
Read (24)
1810s (3)

English (387)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (414)
I don't think I enjoyed this as much as the first time around, but it was still really good! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
The most important sentence in Sense and Sensibility is a long one on page 333 of 335: With such a confederacy against her -- with a knowledge so intimate of his goodness -- with a conviction of his fond attachment to herself, which at last, though long after it was observable to everybody else -- burst on her -- what could she do?We're talking about Marianne Dashwood and her relationship with a suitor, but Jane Austen is making a point that goes far beyond just one particular marriage proposal. More on that later.

In moments of great stupidity, I have occasionally wished to be granted a shot at living in a previous era, believing for inexplicable reasons that I would "nail it" and rise to be a powerful old-timey baron of some sort. Ignoring the obvious disadvantages of living in the past (pissing in a bowl next to my bed, 13 of my 15 siblings dying of lockjaw), the biggest roadblock on my pathway to success would be adherence to social customs. Behaving the way that people believe you ought to behave is incredibly difficult even today, a time when terabytes of dick pics are sent every minute. We've set a hilariously low bar, and even that is hard to manage. You could imagine how bad it must have been back in the days of Lord and Lady Tightcorset, but you don't have to, because Jane Austen shows it to you in all its proper, uptight ugliness.

I'm not going to lie. I hated most of this book as I was reading it. Like every moron who reads something they don't understand, I found it boring. I thought Marianne was too emotional and self-absorbed, Elinor was the only character with any human decency or self-awareness, and in the fight between sense and sensibility, I saw an obvious winner. Then I got to that sentence at the top, and a few things clicked into place. With such a confederacy against her...what could she do?The tone of the question leads you to believe that Marianne has no choice but to marry this suitor, but why exactly is that? Let's break down this "confederacy against her." The aforementioned suitor has proven to everyone that he's a good man, he's convinced her that he loves her, and he has won the approval and affection of both her mother and sister. That's the confederacy. Does it seem like anything is missing? Let me make it a little more obvious.

I'm a huge Keira Knightley fan. I think she's a fine actress and have defended her as such many times throughout my life (She was ABSOLUTELY NOT overacting in A Dangerous Method). I'd also like to think of myself as a pretty good person. Therefore, once I convince her mother and older brother how great I am, she has to ditch that dumb musician husband of hers and move with me to my estate in West Ballywick or wherever the hell. I mean, what could she do?

Note how often throughout the novel that acting with "sense" (represented by Elinor and her ilk) means bowing to convention and behaving with "sensibility" (Marianne) tends to mean refusing to do so. The problem with my earlier evaluation of the book was that I somehow saw good decisions being rewarded. All that really happens in the world of Sense and Sensibility is people that behave with sense receive financial compensation. Whether or not money is a true reward is up for debate, and it is undeniable that financial compensation doesn't prove one way of life better than another. However, very few characters seem to see it that way. If behaving according to convention leads to financial compensation, then who in their right mind would fight against it?

This, above all, is the confederacy against Marianne. She lives in a world that only allows her to act the way she feels if it aligns with how someone ought to behave anyway. Is this a problem? In some respects, it might not be. One can imagine a modern-day Marianne going Carrie Underwood on Willoughby's pickup truck with a baseball bat after receiving his last letter, and in that particular case, her sensibility wouldn't be a strength. But how restricting must it feel to be forced into controlling your emotions to the point where they have no influence on what you say or do. Most of us can barely keep it together when talking to relatives over the course of a Thanksgiving dinner. Imagine that every day forever. Sure, Elinor can handle it. She serenely bears all that the world throws at her and still manages to come off as courteous and caring. But one person meeting an impossible standard doesn't mean that others should feel an obligation to work themselves to death in order to do the same. Is it surprising to anyone that women spent most of the Victorian period getting dizzy and fainting? With such a confederacy against her... what could she do?What could Marianne do? Well, she couldn't do what Keira Knightley can. Keira can tell me to get off her property because she wants nothing to do with me (Don't worry. I'll never give up!). But Marianne doesn't get to make that choice. This man is a good man who loves her, and her family loves him, so it's a marriage that makes sense. It doesn't matter if she loves him, likes him, can even stand the sight of him. It'd be beneficial to all parties, and that's what matters.

I hated most of this book, but Marianne hated it more than I did. She would leave the room whenever people she disliked would show up, she would write letters that she wasn't supposed to write, she would contradict people with money and influence. She did what she wanted to do, and she suffered for it, over and over again. So finally, at the end of it all, she was presented with a decision, but it wasn't really hers to make. What could she do? She could throw in the towel, and that was about it. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
*3.5 ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Apr 10, 2020 |
By far my favorite Jane Austen novel. The Dashwood sisters are like two sides of the same coin: vastly different, yet the same.

I've always loved Jane Austen's novels, but Sense and Sensibility just speaks to me; I can find bits of myself in the sensible Elinor and in the idealistic Marianne.

It also happens that Col. Brandon is my favorite male character. I find it rare not to find some fault with each of Austen's characters; they are, after all, meant to be realistic. Yet in Col. Brandon, I could find little to rant about, and, for any faults he may have, his many good qualities - from his sense of duty to his generosity - far outweigh them. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
One of my favorite books of all time...I love the movie, but the book (which I read first) was such a beautiful, touching love story. I think I'm do for a re-read!
  HeatherPerdigon | Mar 23, 2020 |

Wiltshire, JohnForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility / Pride and Prejudice / Mansfield Park / Emma / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion by Jane Austen

Folio Society Jane Austen Set (Seven volume set: Emma; Mansfield Park; Northanger Abbey; Persuasion; Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility; Shorter Works) by Jane Austen

Emma / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175048, 1909175056

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,630,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible