Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen (Author), Ros Ballaster (Editor)

30,60442264 (4.13)4 / 1486
Published in 1811, Sense and Sensibility has delighted generations of readers with its masterfully crafted portrait of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Forced to leave their home after their father's death, Elinor and Marianne must rely on making good marriages as their means of support. But unscrupulous cads, meddlesome matriarchs, and various guileless and artful women impinge on their chances for love and happiness. The novelist Elizabeth Bowen wrote, "The technique of ÝJane Austen's novels¨ is beyond praise....Her mastery of the art she chose, or that chose her, is complete." This Modern Library Paperback Classics edition contains a new Introduction by Pulitzer Prize finalist David Gates, in addition to new explanatory notes.… (more)
Member:buleth
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen (Author)
Other authors:Ros Ballaster (Editor)
Info:Penguin Books, Paperback, 409 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

Read (24)
1810s (4)

English (393)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (421)
This is my first reading of this novel which is one of the two most famous of Austen's novels, along with Pride and Prejudice (which I have not managed to finish, though I will try it again some time). This is the story of the lives and loves of the Dashwood sisters, Marian and Elinor and, while I enjoyed the first half, my interest tailed off in the middle, and only resumed slightly further towards the end. While I hugely admire Austen's clever use of language and her place as one of the giants of English literature is fully deserved, those of her novels I most enjoy are Northanger Abbey as a pastiche of the Gothic horror genre, Mansfield Park for its more unusual characters and scenarios and Persuasion for its setting in Bath and Lyme Regis, two towns I love. ( )
  john257hopper | Sep 25, 2020 |
Jane Austen will always be a legendary writer. I've always known her work, Pride & Prejudice, and it will always be my favourite one but Sense and Sensibility didn't disappoint in the least. It so amazing to be able to read these works from the 1800s and to be able to see what it was really like to be a woman in those years. I love how Austen can make the characters so real that, at least for me, it was like I was reading the life story of a family member. I wished all the best for Elinor and Marianne and I almost cried when I got to the end and got to know how they story ended. Jane Austen's works are stories of real living in the 1800s and it totally shows how hard it was to be the woman everybody expected you to be. I cannot wait to get my hands on other books by Jane Austen and I'm sure that I will enjoy them as much as I did this one and Pride & Prejudice. ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |
“I have not wanted syllables where actions have spoken so plainly.”

Jane Austen’s first published novel is loved, widely loved. Yet, in the absence of a dashing figure like Darcy, it is a tiny fraction less adored than Pride and Prejudice. Let’s face it, we are a little superficial at heart, it’s natural, understandable and unavoidable. But for me, the power of Sense and Sensibility lies in the wonderful duality and antithesis that characterizes the work of our beloved Jane Austen, an antithesis that is found in the characters and the themes of her marvellous stories.

The unbreakable and intense relationships between sensibility, emotion, sympathy and passion, and sense, wisdom, clear thinking and moderation. Enthusiastic love and the hurtful decision to suppress your pain for the sake of your family. Two sisters, two worlds. So different, so alike. The beautiful, serene and yet tumultuous universe of Jane Austen.

P.S. Skip the awful 1995 film adaptation, indulge in the beautiful 2008 BBC version.

*An Australian critic called Sense and Sensibility ‘’frivolous’’. Why is there so much stupidity in this world and what can we do about it?*

“The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!”

“Do not let the behaviour of others destroy your inner peace.”

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
1 vote AmaliaGavea | Sep 16, 2020 |
93/2020. Not as laugh aloud farcically amusing as P&P but the denouement does include several of the bitchiest lines Austen ever published, including this gem about Edward Ferrars: "[...] after experiencing the blessings of *one* imprudent engagement, contracted without his mother's consent, as he had already done for more than four years, nothing less could be expected of him in the failure of *that*, than the immediate contraction of another."

Interestingly, I have far more sympathy for Marianne now than when I eye-rolled my way through reading S&S as a set book as a teenager at school. With the hindsight of age and experience I've also realised that Elinor isn't nearly as sensible as she thinks she is. However, I always knew that Colonel Brandon > Edward Ferrars. And why wasn't there a Mrs Jennings in my life when I was a teenager? I would've appreciated her far more than Elinor or Marianne did!

Reading notes

"probabilities and proofs" sound like a missing Blackadder the Third episode about maths. Why isn't there a maths themed romance novel with this title? I'd read it!

Lol 1: "His temper might perhaps be a little soured by finding, like many others of his sex, that through some unaccountable bias in favour of beauty, he was the husband of a very silly woman, - but she knew that this kind of blunder was too common for any sensible man to be lastingly hurt by it."

Lol 2: "Well, it is the oddest thing to me, that a man should use such a pretty girl so ill! But when there is plenty of money on one side, and next to none on the other, Lord bless you! they care no more about such things!"

I still find Edward's wanton scissor-destruction both distressing and offensive. What a spoiled brat he is! (At least they weren't embroidery scissors.) ( )
  spiralsheep | Jul 25, 2020 |
I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself. ( )
  SolangePark | Jul 11, 2020 |

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book.
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175048, 1909175056

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

West Margin Press

An edition of this book was published by West Margin Press.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,806,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible