Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 1996)

by Jane Austen

25,22936244 (4.14)4 / 1248
Member:risingstar82
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Book-of-the-Month Club, New York (1996), Edition: n.e., Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, Austen, Movie

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

Read (24)

English (337)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (363)
Marianne Dashwood falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby and ignores her sister Elinor's warning . Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, struggles to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love.
  BarbaraCarpenti | Jun 25, 2016 |
Better than I expected!

I am completely in love with the movie version. It is one of my all-time favorites and was worried that in reading the book, it would ruin the movie for me. This was not the case at all.

While it was not exactly an easy read, it was not tedious as I assumed it would be. Even though the language is not as modern as I am used to, it wasn't so difficult that I found myself confused by what I was reading. I only had to look up a few words that I was unsure of their meaning/usage.

The story itself is a beautiful one of love, family, relationships and propriety. The title makes so much sense now (duh)! This was just lovely and reading it not only made me love the movie all the more, it has given me confidence that I will enjoy other works by Ms. Austen, such as Emma, which may be next on my classics to-do list. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Like most fine books, there is something new here every time I read it – or listen to it.

I don't remember being quite so shocked at the characters before. Lucy Steele … wow. She is a nasty, scheming piece of work. She knew every step of the way what she was doing, and did it with spite and glee.

The fact that Edward could find the creature attractive enough to not just pant after for a summer or so but actually engage himself to her … it just dents my opinion of Edward that much more – and it was already pretty dinged up after this re-read. I loved Hugh Grant's Edmund in the movie – but in addition to his charming dorkiness that was because of Emma Thompson's judicious editorial choices and additions. That lady spun his story to downplay the worst of it and focus on the adorable. In point of fact, though, the only differences between Edmund's situation and Willoughby's are that the latter got a girl pregnant and dropped her (and blamed this fifteen year old girl for the affair – see below), and that the former's predicament was not all about money. (Though the secrecy surely was – knowing that Mama Ferrars would react as, in fact, she did, they kept it all very clandestine.) Both men courted a girl (a Dashwood sister, in fact), gave every indication that a marriage proposal was imminent, and then turned out to be (surprise!) engaged to someone else. And neither had the ba – er, inner fortitude to actually ever tell the Dashwood girl what was going on, allowing them to find out in the most painful ways imaginable.

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="268"] (what an anachronistic cover...)[/caption]

Actually, in a lot of ways Edward is the worse of the two. Why would Edward not take off that blasted ring on visiting the Dashwoods? And did he really write to Lucy at the Middletons' not realizing that Elinor would become – be made – aware? Yes, Willoughby is a bounder and completely irresponsible, and what he did to Eliza is completely unacceptable – but hell, he's a roue. A cad. (Sound of Music reference.) You can't expect too much from him, whatever he seems like at first glance. He has a pattern of lying, wenching, and looking out for himself, covered by an extremely charming and credible front. (There was, I believe, a Criminal Minds episode called "Charm and Harm". That could be the caption under Willoughby's portrait.) Edward, though … Mr. "I want to join the clergy" not only betrays his original betrothed by making googly eyes at Elinor, he every step of the way betrays Elinor because of that original commitment. And in the period of the book that original commitment is nothing to be taken lightly. Willoughby just disappears and refuses to respond to Marianne until he has no choice – and then the horribleness of his letter is, apparently, wrought by his fiancée. Edward disappears from their lives, reneging on promises to visit, but continues his correspondence with Lucy Steele throughout – which means that he knew, she made sure he know, about the manipulations of Lucy upon Elinor. She has to have at the very least told him she had become acquainted with Elinor, and – to me more likely – at worst told him all about her cat and mouse game, though of course with pride and an air of "aren't I so clever". And yet he remained silent and absent for months, allowing Elinor to twist in the wind and Lucy to dig her claws in over and over, deeper and deeper.

Yeah… I can feel a little bit sorry for Willoughby in the end. But of the other couple it's Elinor I worry about.

While to the modern eye the age difference between Brandon and Marianne is a little scary, I love them as a couple. The growth of Marianne is so very nice, from a clever but heedless girl, self-centered and scornful, to a young woman beginning to learn wisdom and kindness and to be worthy of the love of a good man. And Brandon is a good man – willing to be gossiped about as having a "natural child" stowed away somewhere (and I was a little stunned at how casually that was mentioned, and taken, and never held against him in terms of his eligibility to marry a well brought up girl) rather than expose his unfortunate ward to the public eye – willing to look after not only the girl he loved when she had fallen about as low as a girl could fall in the early 19th century, but then to all but adopt her daughter … And then to not only quietly suffer the slings and arrows of the gossips, but the unkindness of the new love of his life and her boyfriend – and love the girl throughout, deserving or not…. To abandon a party including his light o' love to rush to his ailing ward … He's kind of wonderful. He's worthy of having been played by Alan Rickman.

Marianne "would buy up every copy [of her beloved books] to keep them from falling into unworthy hands". Ahem. I've done something like that. When I've seen a copy of a book like The Lord of the Rings, or Tigana, at a library book sale, it has been hard not to buy it, even though I might already have a copy (or two, or three). It's partly to keep them out of unworthy hands – but also to have extras to give out to worthy hands. I don't loan books, but gifts? I can do that.

My new favorite quote: "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition."

One point of enjoyment throughout the book was the deep pleasure of remembering just how wonderful Emma Thompson's film adaptation of the book really was. The story was so clean and pared down, so economically told and still true to the book that I want to hug her. Even the one moment which seemed completely over the top last time I watched it, Fanny's reaction to the truth about Lucy, was actually dead on: "She fell into violent hysterics immediately, with such screams as reached your brother's ears". Wonderful.

The narration was lovely. Rosalyn Landor's character voices were on point, and her masculine voices worked beautifully. I'm a fan.

Willoughby on Eliza, and Brandon, negating any sympathy I start to feel for him, ever:

"Remember," cried Willoughby, "from whom you received the account. Could it be an impartial one? I acknowledge that her situation and her character ought to have been respected by me. I do not mean to justify myself, but at the same time cannot leave you to suppose that I have nothing to urge—that because she was injured she was irreproachable, and because I was a libertine, SHE must be a saint. If the violence of her passions, the weakness of her understanding—I do not mean, however, to defend myself. Her affection for me deserved better treatment, and I often, with great self-reproach, recall the tenderness which, for a very short time, had the power of creating any return. I wish—I heartily wish it had never been. But I have injured more than herself; and I have injured one, whose affection for me—(may I say it?) was scarcely less warm than hers; and whose mind—Oh! how infinitely superior!"

This has been Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, read by Rosalyn Landor, published 1/12/16 by Dreamscape Media, at twelve hours and 29 minutes, received through Audiobook Jukebox for review - thank you! ( )
1 vote Stewartry | Jun 21, 2016 |
I'll be honest. I read "Pride and Prejudice" thrice, I loved it more every time... and none of Austen's books has been even close to as good since then. I love her use of language but her stories are just not engaging my interest. I got interested in S&S on chapter 47 (of 50)...

A good line:

...and Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
More Austen, still love it. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 5, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
The novel that we know as Sense and Sensibility had, according to tradition in the Austen family, a precursor in a work of Jane Austen's youth, an epistolary novel entitled 'Elinor and Marianne'. (Introduction)
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,773,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible