Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 1996)

by Jane Austen

25,71236644 (4.13)4 / 1295
Member:risingstar82
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Book-of-the-Month Club, New York (1996), Edition: n.e., Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, Austen, Movie

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

Read (24)
1810s (2)

English (338)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  English (1)  Finnish (1)  English (365)
Seems cooler than P&P, but I've read P&P so many times that I may attribute to it more because I love it so. I think I should read the books before I watch the movies. I love the movie too much and the book suffered. But still-- sly humor, sneaky social commentary, great characters. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Who doesn't love Jane Austen! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Once again, I am reading all of Jane Austen's books on DailyLit.com and hoping for a positive connection of any kind.

This one started off with a promising plot, then quickly delved into tedious conversation and interminably
boring plot conventions.

Marianne had real Promise!

Sure hope that the final one, Pride and Prejudice, lives up to the current love hype
of witty banter and romantic fun. So far, it's all been a major waste of time. ( )
  m.belljackson | Aug 29, 2016 |
It was a challenge to read this book, I must say. I was surprised at how difficult the language was, partly in its timeframe and partly because the oblique references that occurred consistently. I had listened to it as an audiobook about 10 or more years ago as well. It is basically the story of a family whose women become disinherited due to the greed of an older half-brother's wife upon the father's death. So already we're getting into the family law of the early 1800's, and it's not pretty for women.

Much of the rest of it I look at as a tale of warning for women of the era, who might have been literate and were certainly looking at marriage as their only means to live a long life (as long as they did not die in childbed, but that's another story). The two eldest sisters, Elinor and Marianne, are swept off their feet by two men who prove not to be true after all. The nuances of action, moral judgements, and societal connections would be obvious to a young woman reading in the early 1800's, and they do paint a picture of the non-working but not noble classes of the time.

I gave it 3 stars due to the difficulty I had with reading it and just a general lack of fascination with the book in general. ( )
  threadnsong | Aug 7, 2016 |
As with any Austen romance, Sense and Sensibility is full of entanglements, disappointments, matrimonial prospects and wittily pointed observations on ‘polite’ 19th century English society. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
The novel that we know as Sense and Sensibility had, according to tradition in the Austen family, a precursor in a work of Jane Austen's youth, an epistolary novel entitled 'Elinor and Marianne'. (Introduction)
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175048, 1909175056

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,689,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible