Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 2003)

by Jane Austen

25,01836144 (4.14)4 / 1228
Member:ashbrau
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

Read (24)

English (333)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (359)
I'm Elinor. I'm a busybody elitist. In my spare time, I like to play the victim while claiming superiority in all aspects of my personality to others. In fact, near the end of the book, I critique my younger sister - without a trace of self-awareness - for the very qualities that I possess in much more abundance than she has. Anyway, since I can't curtail the youthful fun that she is having with her boyfriend, I will constantly probe my mother to go ask them what's the deal with their relationship even though she is fine with their carrying ons. When I'm eventually proven right about that man's terrible attributes, I will gloat, albeit silently since my sister is highly distressed for strange reasons. My thoughts will involve the man I love who also turned out to be a cad. Even better, I will forever comfort myself with the fact that even though we are now both dumped by men who turned out to be secretly engaged to others, I can still respect my object of desire whereas my poor sister surely cannot even feel a thing for her lover anymore. (an impossible feat since I'm the only one with true deep-waters feelings, whereas hers is just dumb and flightly and silly youthful love, she should marry the old man that she doesn't want to because then she'll learn a lesson. About what, I'm not sure. Maybe humility but I don't know what that is.) Everybody must be talking badly about them now, but luckily, I'm the least gossipy of them all - see before how I tried to get my mother to worm information out of my sister so I didn't have to gossip. I'm very open-minded which is why I'm always judging everyone and trying to stop people having fun. It was wonderful when I finally got to tell Marianne about my Edward woes so that I can further victimise myself and get double sympathy for it because of my completely admirable composure throughout.

Seriously, though, I thought Elinor was going to get some sort of lesson on pride at the end, but no, she gets a happy ending while also acting like a bloody snot throughout the entire book. There were other much more admirable women in the book. For one, Charlotte Palmer who makes her own realities, interpreting her husband's disdain as drollness, everyone as her immediate best friends, extremely exuberant and effusive (seemingly genuinely) on everything. Sure, she's painted as as a very silly woman, but I can't help admire her way of viewing the world (like Kenneth from 30 Rock in that episode which leads into a delightful little Muppet musical!). At the very least, she's very happy with her life. Unlike Elinor the party pooper who stands on the side thinking herself superior to the dumb drones having a good time. Even Lucy is a wonderful character, showing a calculating mind behind her supposed meekness. Also, Marianne. She's happy with her little fling. Sure, she's miserable after the reveal. But at least she's FEELING something. Which is more than anyone can say for Elinor the robot, who definitely takes the keep-your-emotions-in-check, stiff-upper-lip thing way too far. But still never learns, and doesn't have to because in the end she gets her man.

I was incredibly frustrated by the character of Elinor, which unfortunately overshadowed the wonderful wit of the Austen social commentary. A better ending would have been if Edward and Lucy really got married and are shown to be wonderfully in love and Edward informing Elinor that she's like the sister he never had (and never wished he had) and because of this deep sibling bond between them, he feels that it is his duty to tell her all her flaws and how uncomfortable her clear sexual attraction to him makes him feel, while also mentioning how much better Lucy is as a human being, not always presuming herself to be superior to others because of random advantages in life and education.. Final criticism of the novel: different people keep visiting the Dashwoods, nobody knows why, seeing as they're so incredibly dull themselves. ( )
  kitzyl | Apr 29, 2016 |
A classic by Jane Austen ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 26, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
This was a difficult book to read. Like many I had seen the 1995 film with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet before I ventured to read the book. The language of the book is not simple, so it can be hard to follow. There are lots of characters, largely unlikable, including Marianne Dashwood, who can at times be very irritating. The real heroine of this tale is her oldest sister, Elinor. You can't help but want Elinor's lot to improve, for her to find love, and a secure place in life. I definitely preferred the film. ( )
  briandrewz | Apr 21, 2016 |
A classic. Wit, humor, depth. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
The novel that we know as Sense and Sensibility had, according to tradition in the Austen family, a precursor in a work of Jane Austen's youth, an epistolary novel entitled 'Elinor and Marianne'. (Introduction)
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible