Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 2008)

by Jane Austen, Wanda McCaddon (Narrator)

23,27730347 (4.14)3 / 1060
Member:erezv
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Wanda McCaddon (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

English (277)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (302)
Read this book in July/August of 2005. Also read it in July/August of 2007. Time to read it again.

This might be my favorite of Austen's books - yes, even more than Pride & Prejudice. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
I'll be honest. I read "Pride and Prejudice" thrice, I loved it more every time... and none of Austen's books has been even close to as good since then. I love her use of language but her stories are just not engaging my interest. I got interested in S&S on chapter 47 (of 50)...

A good line:

...and Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. ( )
  Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |
I love the three Dashwood sisters more than I can say, but even though being like Margaret not too long ago, I really understand Marianne's emotional standpoint lately. Elinor, I admire most, and understand the most. This novel defines kind gossip, happy endings, and how to place trust. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the old english in this book as well as the mindless sort of reading. It was a nice break from reality. No SERIOUS drama. No death, no horror. Just calm romance and romantic entanglements with the occasional broken heart. It was beautifully written however the last few chapters went on a little too long. I also found the run-on speeches of some of the characters to be too drawn out. A bit like reading Shakespearean monologues only without the poetic prose. Overall, though, I liked it and will definitely continue reading Austen's work. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
It was good to find out what really happened in the story, compete with more complicated relationships, different points of view for storytelling, and Willoughby's attempt at vindication at the end. But overall, I liked Emma Thompson's movie better! And thought this was much less heart-felt than Persuasion, my favorite so far. ( )
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:01 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

4 2064

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141439556, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible