Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility (original 1811; edition 2008)

by Jane Austen, Wanda McCaddon (Narrator)

26,44837740 (4.13)4 / 1326
Member:redtedari
Title:Sense and Sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Wanda McCaddon (Narrator)
Info:Tantor Media (2008), Edition: Unabridged,MP3 - Unabridged CD, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

Read (24)
1810s (2)

English (349)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  All (376)
I found myself disliking Marianne. She was a bit of a selfish brat. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 13, 2017 |
Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility focuses on the social world of the two eldest Dashwood sisters, Elinor, and Marianne. Elinor is the primary protagonist, and Marianne the secondary one. Their characters, at first, seem sharply drawn to illustrate the two thematic elements of "sense" and "sensibility," respectively. Initially, this reader found the contrast too heavily emphasized, almost cartoonish. However, as the novel continued, and the reader sees more of the two sisters' relationship and character development, it became clear that the sisters' close bond was related to their complementary relationship, and, furthermore, that their own personalities were more multifaceted than they initially seemed.

To expand on that theme, one of the strongest elements of this book was the manner in which characters were developed. Many characters seemed to grow more interesting as the novel progressed, and to show a wider ranger of aspects. A particular favorite, in this regard, was Mrs. Jennings, who was initially not portrayed in a favorable light, but who ended up being a character loved by this reader for her good-heartedness and well wishes toward others. Character development is reveals good sides and bad sides of different characters - in some cases, characters who are not presented well from the beginning only become more distasteful.

Of course, this being a Jane Austen novel, the descriptions of the distasteful characters are often some of the most enjoyable to read. Austen's sharp caricature of the vain, the greedy, and the bad-mannered, is on full display in this novel. Oftentimes, this is accompanied by rather interesting speculation on the motivations behind bad behavior. While there more genuinely negative characters in this book than in "Pride and Prejudice," or "Emma," and some of these never receive their comeuppance, Austen's presence ensures that their presence entertains the reader. Reading this book provoked reflection regarding the nature of society and social norms, and what it means to treat others well.

Based on the above, I would recommend this book to those who like reading about characters and society. I read the book in the Folio Society's 2015 edition, which is an elegant volume bound in gold buckram, and illustrated by Philip Bannister. I recommend this edition to those who want a high quality, illustrated, edition. ( )
  sviswanathan | Jul 10, 2017 |
Sense and Sensibility was my first Jane Austen novel, for the simple reason that it leads off the one-volume edition of her works that I was able to snag for about 30 cents at a library booksale. I had no idea it would be the gateway to an immersive new world I had not previously imagined (and when I say immersive, I mean it; I finished this one-volume edition of Austen's six novels plus Lady Susan over the course of the following two weeks).

The plot is well known and tells the story of the Dashwood family, a mother and three daughters left nearly destitute by the death of Mr. Dashwood and the laws that precluded their inheriting any significant portion of his fortune. The two elder Miss Dashwoods, Elinor and Marianne, must find a way to live in a world that afforded women very few options. The two sisters could not be more different: Elinor orders her life and behavior according to common sense, while Marianne is ruled by her sensibilities and emotions. Their adventures and misadventures in love and the world of fashion during the Regency is beautifully rendered, with layers of meaning and thought and humor under even the smallest interactions and conversations. I never knew someone could write like this.

Pride and Prejudice seems the obligatory favorite of Austen's novels and I do love it very much, but Sense and Sensibility will always vie for first place in my Austenian affections. Imagine reading Austen with no background knowledge, no movie versions in your head, no knowing what the characters are going to do or where the plot is going to go. It was an amazing literary experience and one that cannot be manufactured. Five stars isn't enough to express my love for this novel. I will simply say: thank you, Jane Austen. ( )
1 vote wisewoman | Jul 9, 2017 |
This is a review of the unabridged (11 hr) audio version of Jane Austen's class novel, as narrated by Flo Gibson (published by Recorded Books). Miss Jane's novels truly deserve to be read aloud and listened to. When narrated by a skillful reader who savors the language, all the wit and irony comes through. Flo Gibson narrates the work clearly and her tone and pauses do justice to the prose. She is not as adept as many narrators in rendering the different voices, and notwithstanding my initial impression (which was not positive), I grew accustomed to her style and tone of voice. I am glad to have had a chance to experience Sense and Sensiblity in audio format, and recommend the experience to other readers who love Jane Austen's novels. ( )
1 vote danielx | Jun 13, 2017 |
This is always one of my favorite book. ( )
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |

Wiltshire, JohnForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Northanger Abbey/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Complete Novels (including Lady Susan) by Jane Austen

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Folio Society Jane Austen Set (Seven volume set: Emma; Mansfield Park; Northanger Abbey; Persuasion; Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility; Shorter Works) by Jane Austen

Emma / Persuasion / Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
The novel that we know as Sense and Sensibility had, according to tradition in the Austen family, a precursor in a work of Jane Austen's youth, an epistolary novel entitled 'Elinor and Marianne'. (Introduction)
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.
She had an excellent heart; -- her disposition was affectionate, and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them: it was a knowledge which her mother had yet to learn, and which one of her sisters had resolved never to be taught.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175048, 1909175056

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,186,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible