Sense and sensibility by Jane Austen

Sense and sensibility (original 1811; edition 1996)

by Jane Austen

22,79729251 (4.14)3 / 1006
Member:ColmGuerin
Title:Sense and sensibility
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:New York : Barnes & Noble, 1996.
Tags:English Literature, Fiction, Read in 2013

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (1811)

1001 (104) 1001 books (102) 19th century (665) Austen (395) British (406) British literature (391) classic (1,350) classic fiction (101) Classic Literature (136) classics (1,083) ebook (92) England (444) English (177) English literature (354) family (99) fiction (2,685) historical fiction (99) Jane Austen (483) literature (551) love (141) marriage (113) novel (442) own (168) read (326) regency (260) romance (828) sisters (215) to-read (249) unread (126) women (123)

English (267)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (291)
One of my favorites that I can read over and over. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
One of my favorites that I can read over and over. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
It's a bit off perfect, although rather close-- but not the equal of "Pride and Prejudice".

The ending isn't quite clear until the last lines of the final chapter, but the resolution is rather tolerable than happy, I think.

It's her first full-length novel, and in many ways I think she's still finding her way. The relations between her ladies and gentlemen aren't quite happy, as though she's unsure of how to bring them together. I also suspect in a way it's a transitional piece, between her youthful, looser, work, and her mature work, which is more settled on feelings. Because of this aging I suppose, there's a slight overcompensation, eventually, on behalf of rationality, rather than feeling, if that makes sense. Or more simply maybe, in the end she's a little hard on Marianne.

It's still clearly Jane Austen's work, though, in the way she judges people's faults lightly, overlooking what is lacking when she can, in my opinion. In this way she allows the solid Colonel Brandon to acquit himself of merely being old and little else, and spares Willoughby from suffering overmuch from his youthful mistakes. Also Elinor's burdens are eventually lightened and her character shown in progressively more positive light.... and Marianne in spite of everything, may still have the prettier character. At any rate the relation between the sisters, like the relation between Jane and Elizabeth in "Pride and Prejudice", is well done.

"Sense and Sensibility", though, is a less happy, less pretty novel, which nurtures romantic feeling less perfectly.... It's interesting to observe-- like Jane observes rather than judges, I think-- the difference between how fares the dull Mr. Collins in "Pride and Prejudice" with the dull Mr. Ferrars in "Sense and Sensibility". With Collins his dullness is as much made sport of as it is possible without being overly ungentle to do; Ferrars causes difficulty if anything because he cannot make up his mind. I suppose that Willoughby's passion casts a long shadow in this book, and much is looked well upon simply because it is safe-- more so than it can be for a truly pretty settlement of the people's feelings.

But still I have to give it full marks based on how good it is compared to everything else except Jane Austen. Like "Let It Be" which is rather poor and underdeveloped for the Beatles, but better than most other bands at their height, "Sense and Sensibility" is a lesser work for the artist, but still a real work of art.

(10/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Descriptions and dialog dominate the beginning of this book. It isn't until a third of the way in that the story begins move along. It can take a while to sort out the many characters, especially as each character is alternately mentioned by their first and last names. With entire families involved in the storyline, I found it difficult at times to determine which character was speaking. Overall this is a story with depth and a great deal of introspection. ( )
  amkj | Mar 15, 2014 |
I feel like I should hate this book....but I don't. The beginning was extremely slow and monotonous but I was determined to get through it. I absolutely hated how it took so long to jus get to the point. Although I did like the story and the romance :) ( )
  Milaxox | Feb 23, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Well, I am convinced that there is a vast deal of inconsistency in almost every human character.
... Marianne, who had the knack of finding her way in every house to the library, however it might be avoided by the family in general, soon procured herself a book. (Ch.42)
People always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid to them.

Jane Austen (I 775— I 8 I 7) imajo za eno največjih angleških pisateljic. Odlikuje Jo iskriv čut za družabno komedijo in bistro 01(0 za medsebojne človeške odnose, pri tem pa Je izvrstna slikarka družinskih ritualov in družabnih šeg svojega časa. V svojih romanih spretno prepleta Ijubezenska razmerja z dramo in družbeno satiro, njeni orisi pa presegajo vsakršen časovni okvir Zato ji še danes ne manjka bralcev, saj yse njene romane vVeliki Britaniji ponatiskujejo že ves as od njihovega prvega izida, niti gledalcev, saj so vsa njena literarna dela ekranizirali, nekatera celo večkrat.
Umirajoči Henry Dashwood mora po zakonu posest izročiti sinu iz prvega zakona Johnu in njegovi soprogi Fanny. Dashwoodova druga žena in njune tri hčere, EIinor Marianne in Margaret se tako znajdejo brez strehe nad glavo in s komaj dovolj denarja za preživetje. Rozsodnost In rahločutnost je predvsem pripoved o dveh sestrah: stvarni, a ironični Elinor in strastní ter samosvoji Marianne, o zapletenih zadevah njunega ljubezenskega življenja ter boju s siromaštvom. V angleški družbi s konca osemnajstega stoletja, kjer najbolj cenijo bogastvo in družbeni prestiž, so ženskam zaprte yse poti do intelekĹualne in materialne samostojnosti, zato je poroka edino jamstvo, da na stara eta ne bosta v breme sorodnikom, To je prví objavljeni (čeprav ne tudi najprej napisani) roman Jane Austen, tudi tu pa se v vsej moči kaže pisateljičin dar, da s svojim pisanjem bralca ne spustí iz klešč radovednosti.
Besedo na ovitku: Max Modic

VIRAGO EDITION:
Marianne Dashwood subscribes to the fashionable cult of sensibility. Ardently avowing every fluctuation of emotion, she despises discretion and reticence. Her elder sister Elinor, whose feelings are no less sincere, is far more prudent and considerate and when her love for the shy, quiet Edward Ferrars is betrayed, she is sustained by her own calm dignity. The impetuous Marianne, however, scorns any concealment of her adoration for the dashing Willoughby...
While giving a vivid portrayal of the society and manners of her time, both in the country and in London, Jane Austen's chief preoccupation, handled with sympathy as well as astringency, is the effect of differing ideals and expectatioins. Though she satirises Marianne's emotional excesses, she is even harder on hyprocisy, selfishness and mercenary snobbery, giving us merciless wit and a wonderful story.
Elinor reasons,
Marianne catches a cold
And Lucy gets Bob.
(thorold)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439661, Paperback)

Though not the first novel she wrote, Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen published. Though she initially called it Elinor and Marianne, Austen jettisoned both the title and the epistolary mode in which it was originally written, but kept the essential theme: the necessity of finding a workable middle ground between passion and reason. The story revolves around the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. Whereas the former is a sensible, rational creature, her younger sister is wildly romantic--a characteristic that offers Austen plenty of scope for both satire and compassion. Commenting on Edward Ferrars, a potential suitor for Elinor's hand, Marianne admits that while she "loves him tenderly," she finds him disappointing as a possible lover for her sister:
Oh! Mama, how spiritless, how tame was Edward's manner in reading to us last night! I felt for my sister most severely. Yet she bore it with so much composure, she seemed scarcely to notice it. I could hardly keep my seat. To hear those beautiful lines which have frequently almost driven me wild, pronounced with such impenetrable calmness, such dreadful indifference!
Soon however, Marianne meets a man who measures up to her ideal: Mr. Willoughby, a new neighbor. So swept away by passion is Marianne that her behavior begins to border on the scandalous. Then Willoughby abandons her; meanwhile, Elinor's growing affection for Edward suffers a check when he admits he is secretly engaged to a childhood sweetheart. How each of the sisters reacts to their romantic misfortunes, and the lessons they draw before coming finally to the requisite happy ending forms the heart of the novel. Though Marianne's disregard for social conventions and willingness to consider the world well-lost for love may appeal to modern readers, it is Elinor whom Austen herself most evidently admired; a truly happy marriage, she shows us, exists only where sense and sensibility meet and mix in proper measure. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:01 -0400)

"Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her behaviour leaves her open to gossip. Meanwhile, Elinor is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Current discussions

Sense And Sensibility by Jane Austen - lyzard tutoring Smiler69 in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

4 2010

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439661, 0141439556, 0141028157, 0141040378, 014310652X, 0141199679

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,583,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible