The unwinding of the miracle : a memoir of…

The unwinding of the miracle : a memoir of life, death, and everything… (edition 2019)

by Julie Yip-Williams

Member:akblanchard
Title:The unwinding of the miracle : a memoir of life, death, and everything that comes after
Authors:Julie Yip-Williams
Info:New York : Random House, [2019]
Collections:Books I've Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:non-fiction, death

The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After by Julie Yip-williams

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (eo206)
    Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler (akblanchard, MM_Jones)
    akblanchard: Young, well-educated, spiritually-attuned mothers face colorectal cancer.
    MM_Jones: Insightful, positive take by young mother with fatal illness. Includes wonderful section on what to do and say in such circumstances.

Julie Yip-Williams is one of my heroes, but so is her husband Joshua Williams. Having gone through a similar situation with my father who died from his cancer at home surrounded by his family, just as he wished, I know the emotional and psychological cost to Josh and his daughters, as well as the importance of doing what they did to honor his wife's wishes. Julie has done us all a tremendous service by writing her tale, taking us insider her deepest secrets, dreams, hopes and finally, her coming to terms with the inevitable. This is a great book for anyone having to face their death being sooner than later, those who are their caregivers and anyone who just wishes to be a better person able to show empathy for others. Thank you Julie for helping us all to face our futures with courage, grace and honesty. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Mar 2, 2019 |
Harvard-educated lawyer Julie Yip-Williams is leading an affluent fairy-tale life, with a wonderful husband and two gifted daughters, when she is diagnosed with colorectal cancer at the age of 38. Able to afford the best medical care, she does all she can to enhance the quality of her remaining days. What makes her story remarkable is that she was born into dire poverty to an ethnic Chinese family in Vietnam. She had severe congenital cataracts, and her own grandmother insisted that she be euthanized rather than allowed to live as a burden to her family. Fortunately, a twist of fate prevented this from happening.

It may sound churlish to say this, but I did not like this book as much as I thought I would. Derived from Yip-Williams's blog posts, the narrative is redundant and doesn't always flow well. Her writing style is stilted in places. There's a certain amount of humblebragging as well. While I admire her courage in the face of early death, I can't say the same for this book. ( )
  akblanchard | Feb 13, 2019 |
A married woman in her thirties, with a couple of young kids learns that she has late stage cancer. In this instance, the patient decided to write her final story. This is easiest one of the bravest, most emotional stories that I've ever read. Sure, I lost my wife to cancer a few months ago, but this story would hit any reader like a ton of bricks.
On a personal level, I was totally drawn into this story because it was so different from my wife's struggle. This is a story of a woman who commits to doing everything she can to live as long as possible — for her kids and her husband. Everyone who knew of her struggle, was well aware of the emotional rollercoaster ride that they were on, with all those test results, good number and deadly numbers can be either elating or crushing, and it can all seem so cruel. It seemed that there wasn't a treatment, type of chemo, series of radiation, or any other intrusive method thought up by the scientists of western medicine, that they were always ready for, until the very end. Because my wife chose an entirely non-Big Medicine route for her treatment (use of high levels of CBD and THC, with other alternative medicine, and supplements), reading of this big-money-Big-Medicine seemingly cruel form of treatment makes me so happy that my wife was as far away as possible from all of this.
Everyone make their own choice, for their own (or their family's) reasons. I would recommend anyone close to somebody facing this sort of a medical struggle, to read this book, and think of that simple little phrase — quality of life, when treatment decisions must be made. I'm still in awe of this book. ( )
  jphamilton | Nov 27, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible