Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer

Echo North (edition 2019)

by Joanna Ruth Meyer (Author)

Catherynne M. Valente meets Maggie Stiefvater in this spellbinding and darkly romantic twist on East of the Sun and West of the Moon.Echo's carefully structured world falls apart after her father leaves for the city and mysteriously disappears. Believing he is lost forever, Echo is shocked to find him half-frozen in the winter forest six months later, guarded by a strange talking wolf-the same creature who attacked her as a child. The wolf presents Echo with an offer: for her to come and live with him for a year. But there is more to the wolf than Echo realizes, including a history she can't remember. In his enchanted house, Echo discovers centuries-old secrets, a magical library filled with books-turned-mirrors, and a man named Hal who is trapped inside of them. As the year ticks by, Echo must solve the mystery of the wolf's enchantment before it's too late-otherwise Echo, the wolf, and Hal will be lost forever… (more)
Member:LeicesterMSLibrary
Title:Echo North
Authors:Joanna Ruth Meyer (Author)
Info:Page Street Kids (2019), 400 pages
Collections:New Books 2017/2018

Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer

@ 25%
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
This was such an intriguing read. The library had me so jealous I can't even tell you. Echo is such a relatable main character and the magic in this house, this world is so enticing and mystifying. The narrative had some major plot twists I was not expecting and has been one of my favorite reads of the year. ( )
  JulianaMD | Jun 1, 2020 |
3.75 ( )
  LianaH | Apr 4, 2020 |
Literary Merit: Great
Characterization: Great
Recommended: Yes
Level: High School or upper middle grade

I love reading fairy tale retellings and this one was particularly beautiful and enchanting. It’s a retelling of the Norwegian take East of the Sun, West of the Moon as well as an element of the Scottish ballad Tam Lin. I loved the rich setting, strong characters, and mystery of the story as it unfolded. Not having read the original tale before, I guessed some of the twists but not all and I loved being surprised by where the story went. The writing style was perfect and begs to be read aloud by a fire in the winter time. I also especially loved the book mirrors included in the magical house. Highly recommend this story and hope it can find more adoring readers ( )
  SWONroyal | Dec 19, 2019 |
This simple fairy tale fits many of my needs for a quick weekend winter read. The prose is easy and the storyline draws from old European myths and ballads, which makes it feel instantly familiar. While this book doesn't reinvent anything, the characters have depth, and I appreciate their regrets and flaws. I'm not sure we need more iterations of the same European fairy tales, though this one has emotional complexity I like. It's not every fairy tale that recognizes forgiveness as an essential component of love. ( )
  schufman | Jul 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,796,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible