Buffalo Before Breakfast by Mary Pope…

Buffalo Before Breakfast (1999)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added bySarah_Beth_Duncan, ryanaprilbeck, ecollado, ladypembroke, karentrotter, private library

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
The magical book series transport the visitors of a magical treehouse into the land and time of the books they read. This book sends the children to the great plains of America during the early 1800’s to retrieve a gift. The children read facts from the book as they explore the vast plains. Soon, they come across the Lakota tribe. Jack learns from the book how to interact with his new Lakota friends. They experience tribal life and witness the great buffalo. They learn that great spirits own the lands, not people.
Although this book is part of a series, it can be read alone.
This book is interesting, in that, as the children are discovering, they are reading facts from their research book. These facts help the story become more of a teaching tool. There is also a section of additional facts presented at the end of the book. ( )
  ecollado | Nov 27, 2014 |
I really liked this book for a couple different reasons. The text features were how Jack would read some information about the Great Plains and then he would summarize that information in a notebook. They had handwriting in the book to show what he was summarizing. This helped relate actual history to this fictional story. For example the book had 2 sentences of history about the Great Plains. And then three lines below that in Jack’s handwriting it said “Great Plains- lots of land”. This helps give the students background knowledge when reading the book. I also really liked the book because the sentences were short. They were easy to read and kept me engaged the whole time. it kept the action moving and made the reader think “what next?” lastly, I liked that at the end of the book they went into further explanation about the legend of the White Buffalo Woman. This is a Lakota legend that has been passed down and after mentioning it in the book they put the legend at the end of the story for the students to read. Also there are more facts about the Lakota Indians, the Great Plains and how buffalo were such a great resources for the Native Americans. The big idea in this text was teaching students to be brave. Jack and Annie showed great bravery when going back to the Great Plains. This book also had themes of teamwork. Jack and Annie had to work together to help Black Hawk get away from the buffalo. This was a great book and it makes me want to read more of the Magic Tree House series. ( )
  tsmith44 | Apr 24, 2014 |
This book is themed around the Lakota Indians, time travel, and the great plains. I would use this book in my teaching as a read aloud book to my students. I like this particular series of books because they are full of suspense and are fun to read. I would recommend this book to children in grades 1-3. ( )
  JaclynPoe | Dec 11, 2012 |
I picked this book up expecting to feel brain cells dying as I read it. I was very wrong; I can see why my students enjoy this series so much. It's very well written (albeit extremely simplistic) and interesting. It was an extremely quick read and is educational, to boot! ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
This book is about two kids who is trying to figure out these five riddles to make the dog spell come undone. They have already figured out two out of five and so much closer of getting the dog spell undone.

You should read this book because it is a good book if u like mystery books. You should also read this book because it would be something fun to do when you have some free time. Like if you need a couple of books to do then read one of these books. They're really intresting and really good.
  maddie.albert756 | Mar 13, 2011 |
For Natalie,
kind and funny grandmother
of Andrew and Peter
Arf!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679890645, Paperback)

Morgan Le Fey, a magical librarian from the time of King Arthur, has charged a brave young pair of children with the task of freeing an enchanted dog from a spell by collecting four gifts. In the 18th easy-to-read chapter book in Mary Pope Osborne's Magic Tree House series, eight-year-old Jack and seven-year-old Annie travel back almost 200 years to the Great Plains to find a "gift from the prairie blue." Along the way, Annie and Jack make friends with young Black Hawk, narrowly miss a buffalo stampede, and learn about how the Lakotas view the earth and their place in it. (Ages 8 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:22 -0400)

The magic tree house takes Jack and his sister Annie to the Great Plains where they learn about the life of the Lakota Indians.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible