Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by…

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Jeff Zentner (Author)

12016157,735 (3.84)None
Told in two voices, Josie and Delia struggle with growing up and growing apart as they face tough decisions about their post-high school futures and the fate of their weekly cable television show.
Member:alicia.becker
Title:Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
Authors:Jeff Zentner (Author)
Info:Crown Books for Young Readers (2019), 400 pages

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner (2019)

2.75

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It was fun, humourous, and I found both Delia and Josie relatable. It was going great for about 52 percent of the book, and then the humor became repetitive, a storyline with a ton of potential fell off, and the two main characters voices sort of lost distinction. It was still thoroughly entertaining (love Zentners humor and writing style), but it lacked substance in the second act. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
Loved it. What a cute and fun story to read. ( )
  CK31 | Sep 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book took me a little while to warm to, but I'm glad I persevered with it. It's a story about two teenage friends, Josie and Delia, who are about to graduate high school. They host a weekly show, featuring low budget old horror and sci-fi movies, on public access TV in Tennessee. The story is told alternatively in each other's voice, which I didn't particularly enjoy at first. After the first 50pages or so, though, I began to appreciate the way the story was told, as it gave the perspective of each of the character, with insight into how they were feeling with the inevitable changes that would happen as they leave high school and continue their lives beyond that. Cracks start appearing in their relationship as they both try to figure out what is next. You'll have to read it to find out.

This is the second book by Zentner that I have read. I like his style and his characters are real. There were lots of funny laugh-out-loud moments in this book, but there were also other moments that were quite moving. Ultimately, it's a story of friendship, but it is so much more. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to read it. ( )
  wcs53 | Jul 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's fine, but hard to get into. I'm a little more excited about books with a bit of a plot hook, rather than books where the author expects we will entertain such affection for the characters that we will willingly follow them anywhere. (You have to be an awfully good writer for that to work!) So the set up is that two friends have a cable access late night show, but that's it ... not "they have a show, but it's getting cancelled," or "they have a show, and they stumble across a mystery to solve," or "they think they have a show, but really they're broadcasting secret message to aliens" ... I didn't feel invested in the characters or plot, and gave up halfway through. This book was provided to me through the LibraryThing Early reviewers program. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Jul 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I went into this book thinking I was going to love it and while I didn't love it, I did enjoy it. I think if this was made into a movie it would be fantastic.

The dual perspective was great to me on one side you had Delia dealing with her depression and not wanting to be left behind. while on the other side, you had Josie with her ambition and not wanting to leave things behind. They were opposites and it made for a good read. ( )
  Teri-Ann | May 18, 2019 |
For Tennessee and Sara, my salvations. For Jessi Zazu (1989-2017) and all young women who make things together, who burn bright.
Josie: Here's the thing with dreams--and I'm talking about the kind you have when you sleep, not the kind where you're finally learning to surf when you're fifty; they're carefully tailored to the only audience who will ever see them, which is you.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jeff Zentner's book Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,799,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible