The Lost Coast by Amy Rose Capetta

The Lost Coast (edition 2019)

by Amy Rose Capetta (Author)

Member:ltcl
Title:The Lost Coast
Authors:Amy Rose Capetta (Author)
Info:Candlewick (2019), 352 pages

The Lost Coast by Amy Rose Capetta

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed the representation of queer females in this book. The open communication about orientation is refreshing and would be an added addition to a young person's library. I am not normally one to pick up a book about witches, so the story line didn't suit me very well. But it was written in an interesting, on-linear, way and the characters were well-developed. ( )
  ALoyacano | Apr 12, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Danny and her mother pick a random spot on the map to move to, they have no idea that Danny’s hand with the pin in it was being controlled by others. Now, in a small town in Northern California, the people who guided that selection need her to help them find their lost friend, Imogen. This group, a small sort of coven that the local kids call the Grays, are in high school and hang out together doing magic, which comes naturally to them. Being with them leads Danny to discover her own magic- she is a dowser, a finder. She must find the lost Imogen- who is, in fact, physically present, but with her soul gone. There is someone or something in the redwood forest that is willing to kill; can Danny overcome it and find Imogen? And is she anything more to the Grays than a useful tool? She is falling in love with one of them and really wants to know…

This sounded like a book I’d love, even though it’s YA- northern California? Check. Girls working magic? Check. Quest? Check. But I had a hard time really getting into the book. The book has good atmosphere, good descriptions of location, and good diversity of characters (racial, sexual orientation, gender). But the characters still blended together when the action got going and I had trouble remembering who was who. The never seemed to be in school, and other than Danny’s mother and the parents of Imogen, never seem to wonder where they are. Even Danny, who constantly breaks curfew to be with the Grays, mostly does as she pleases. The move to California was brought on by Danny doing something that required a ‘clean slate’- it’s never said *what* she did, but it seems to have something to do with her falling in love with another girl. What her mother thought about her joining a group of queer girls is never stated! Three stars. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Apr 4, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing Early Reviewers and Candlewick Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I really, really enjoy Amy Rose Capetta’s writing style. If you’ve been around this blog before, you’ve heard me babble about how much I enjoyed Echo After Echo. This book has a similar feel in its characters, but the aesthetic of a town among the Redwoods feels so vibrant and alive. Amy Rose Capetta is a master of atmosphere, and I fall into her books so easily. I am here for anything she writes. Even when the story or the characters aren’t amazing, her writing style gets me to the end easily.

With the same characteristic as Echo After Echo, The Lost Coast was a book I could have easily read in one sitting. In fact, the only reason I didn’t is because we’re in the process of packing up all our possession as I write this, and I’ve been stealing time to read. Still, I found myself pushing my self-imposed boundaries because I didn’t want to put it down. I love Tempest, the way it seems to settle into the land. I love the variety of buildings and people. I love how the students at school seem to speak with one voice, carving out only the Greys and Danny. It’s a whispering place that feels old and clouded with cool fog and falling crow feathers and basically I’m just a sucker for any witch story set on the Pacific Coast.

The story line is a little lose here. I will admit – The Lost Coast feels like you’re going in circles, and once the secret is revealed… it’s a bit anti-climatic. The ending left me wondering what happened to Danny after the story. It was interesting to follow a protagonist on the edge of things: Danny works with the Greys, but I never felt like she truly became one of them. Therefore, the relationships we see are between other people, and I personally didn’t feel any emotional attachment or investment in Danny herself. I don’t think we got to know any of the characters deeply enough to really love them. Vague curiosity, but not attachment.

For the feel of this novel, Amy Rose Capetta gets full marks. But the story tried to do a lot of things and they all jumbled together and tripped over one another. It could have been a little better developed and a little more depth would have been nice. It was almost there – it was so close – but didn’t quite make it. I loved the feel of this book, but the story wasn’t as good as it could have been.

Still, if you like that witchy aesthetic and books like The Price Guide to the Occult and The Wicked Deep, you simply must read this one. Tack on the many shades of LGBTQ+ rep here, and it’s a beautiful thought. If you’re looking for yourself in YA magical realism, you may just find yourself in one of the Greys. ( )
  Morteana | Apr 4, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In short, it's a pretty good read with wonderful rep. I feel like it could have been executed a little bit better, but I still enjoyed it!
I honestly feel like I need to reread this book in the future in it's fully published format and compare notes, because I'm in between on things!
I will definitely be on the lookout for more by this author.

Story: It was a pretty interesting and intriguing story. It was a little slow to start, and felt a little bit awkward to me at times pacing-wise. I figured out some aspects early on, which I found odd that the girls didn't connect sooner (though I assume part of that was denial), but overall it still surprised me how things actually turned out while completely making sense.
I would have liked some other things to have been better wrapped up (like Danny's relationship with her Mom from here on out). I feel like a short epilogue would have been a good addition.

Characters: This was the first time in my life I have ever imagined how characters look outwardly correctly before they were described, and that was pretty crazy. I'm not sure whether that means it was obvious by playing on bias/stereotypes or if the author really did something right.
Overall I really enjoyed the characters and how they interacted with each other. I'm not sure if the author did this on purpose or not, but I felt that the girls felt almost like they weren't really human. Which kind of added to the atmosphere but I was in conflict about whether or not this is a flaw.

Writing: I don't find Amy's writing to have anything that I can really note as unique about her, but that's fine. I found it very easy to read and fly through the book and stay involved in the story. The shifting viewpoints may be a problem for some people, because it happens a lot. *It is very important you check each chapter for who's perspective that chapter is from*. For me it didn't bother me too much since I'm used to that kind of storytelling, as well as I read this book in only two sittings.

[Also on page 262 it says ''...vowed, her hands cupping Imogen's face as...''. I don't think that was the correct name.] ( )
  leoithne | Mar 31, 2019 |
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Candlewick Press) in exchange for an honest review.

I had such high hopes for this book, but it ultimately did not live up to my expectations.

Let’s start with what I did like.

I liked the diversity. There was a lot of sexual (lesbian, ace, etc.) and racial diversity. One of the girls was Filipino which I was super happy about since I’m Filipino. I love seeing Filipino representation.

I also liked the aesthetic of the book. The descriptions perfectly captured that foggy, mystical, Northern California vibe.

Now on to what I didn’t love.

There were a lot of point of view changes throughout the book which really made it difficult to understand especially in the beginning. Each POV would last for only a few pages so it ended up being a bit jarring and all over the place.

As for the storyline, it wasn’t exciting. It felt kind of blah to me until the end which is when things finally got interesting.

I also wished the book focused more on June and Hawthorn. They were my two favorite characters and I wanted to explore more of their backstory.

Overall, this book had some good moments (Queer POC witches for the win!), but didn’t reach its full potential. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jan 22, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Amy Rose Capetta's book The Lost Coast is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible