Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

Sorcery of Thorns (edition 2020)

by Margaret Rogerson (Author)

A New York Times bestseller! "A bewitching gem...I absolutely loved every moment of this story." --Stephanie Garber, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Caraval series "If you loved the Hogwarts Library...you'll be right at home at Summershall." --Katherine Arden, New York Times bestselling author of The Bear and the Nightingale From the New York Times bestselling author of An Enchantment of Ravens comes an "enthralling adventure" (Kirkus Reviews, starred review) about an apprentice at a magical library who must battle a powerful sorcerer to save her kingdom. All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer's Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery--magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. Then an act of sabotage releases the library's most dangerous grimoire, and Elisabeth is implicated in the crime. With no one to turn to but her sworn enemy, the sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn, and his mysterious demonic servant, she finds herself entangled in a centuries-old conspiracy. Not only could the Great Libraries go up in flames, but the world along with them. As her alliance with Nathaniel grows stronger, Elisabeth starts to question everything she's been taught--about sorcerers, about the libraries she loves, even about herself. For Elisabeth has a power she has never guessed, and a future she could never have imagined.… (more)
Member:pammab
Title:Sorcery of Thorns
Authors:Margaret Rogerson (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 480 pages
Collections:2020
Tags:fiction, fantasy, librarian, young adult, romance

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

With impressive magical worldbuilding -- libraries full of sentient grimoires, sorcerers who harness demons, orphans who tend and separate books from people -- Rogerson's Sorcery of Thorns is a fast-paced adventure and a delightful YA romance, with a nuanced thematic and personified reflection on good and evil. Though it's a bit self-conscious in the plot execution, I was utterly captivated by the vision of opinionated books who can take off fingers or sing, and by the idea of sorcerers trapping demonic magic in grimoires, and the ultimate outcome of such a world. A lovely novel; I'll look for this author again. ( )
  pammab | Nov 21, 2020 |
I didn’t write a review immediately after reading the book so I’ve forgotten some of my reasons for choosing the rating that I did. Thanks, goldfish brain. I do know that I spent the entire time reading the book thinking “okay, I want to fight demon books.” So there’s something I never thought I’d be jealous about. I loved the magic system - this is a universe so detailed that it would make sense to have more books set in it. It ended sort of...tidily, which is my only complaint. There was this huge build up and everything is tense and then...womp womp.

Also I know we shouldn’t judge books on their covers but wow, the cover. That color palette and paint job is everything. Charlie Bowater is such a talented artist. ( )
  zombiibean | Nov 20, 2020 |
This was a light quick read but I think I need to stop reading YA - it's just not giving me the satisfactory involvement that I want. I loved the background to this story - it's inventive and interesting. I also like the characters although Nathaniel was a bit wishy washy to me. But something about the plot and pacing just didn't work for me. I enjoyed but wanted more. ( )
  infjsarah | Sep 5, 2020 |
instagram | blog | ko-fi | booksirens

”There is always more than one way to see the world. Those who claim otherwise would have you dwell forever in the dark.”

FORMAT READ: Audiobook (Recommended) & eBook
SIMILAR VIBES: The Infernal Devices, Daughter of a Burning City, A Curse So Dark and Lonely
READ FOR: broody banter, if you want to laugh and love
READING LEVEL: Level 2-3 out of 5

MY BLOG
SUPPORT ME ON KO-FI
*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless states otherwise*

OVERALL THOUGHTS: 4.75

FUTURE ALTHEA UPDATE: I realized that this reminds me of The Infernal Devices... which is probably why I lost my mind reading it

HOLY HOLY OHMYGOSH THAT WAS SO GOOD

PERFECT. ENDING. PERFECT. EVERYTHING.

me when (yes… “when” because they are real in my head) I meet Elisabeth, Silas, and Nathaniel:

Silas you precious ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
I really liked this story. I loved Elisabeth, and I loved the ending. Every girl sure does dream of beating up demons with an iron bat at some point... haha.

But it just didn't hit that 5th star for me somehow.

A solid book, a self-contained book (and maybe that has something to do with it--I'm in the middle of a very long series that is fabulous, so, y'know.).

Highly recommend still. ( )
  m_mozeleski | Aug 22, 2020 |
For all the girls who founds themselves in books.
Night fell as death rode into the Great Library of Summershall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,545,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible