Silas Marner by George Eliot

Silas Marner (1861)

by George Eliot

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    The Snow Child: A Novel by Eowyn Ivey (suniru)
    suniru: Both stories center around ophans and have heavy fairy tale roots.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (kxlly)
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Lamplighter by Maria S. Cummins (KayCliff)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (kxlly)

English (117)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (122)
Silas Marner is George Eliot boiled and drained, and what's left is more like an allegory or a fable than a novel. The lesson against parsimony and categorical judgement of our neighbors weighs heavy and overrules the characterization.

In her first two novels Adam Bede and The Mill on the Floss, there was considerable time spent on developing the rural village community and the local gentry. There the social commentary and the humorous perspective on our daily hypocrisies added to the spirit of the book, they weren't the reason for it. In Silas Marner, other than the selfish sons of the squire (more lessons!), there is little time spent on any character not named Silas Marner. And he's a drip.

This is an approachable book, suitable for school children, and I mean that derogatorily. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I have others. Where are the Poysers and the Aunt Gleggs? ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
George Eliot's tale of a solitary miser gradually redeemed by the joy of fatherhood, Silas Marner is edited with an introduction and notes by David Carroll in Penguin Classics.

Wrongly accused of theft and exiled from a religious community many years before, the embittered weaver Silas Marner lives alone in Raveloe, living only for work and his precious hoard of money. But when his money is stolen and an orphaned child finds her way into his house, Silas is given the chance to transform his life. His fate, and that of Eppie, the little girl he adopts, is entwined with Godfrey Cass, son of the village Squire, who, like Silas, is trapped by his past. Silas Marner, George Eliot's favourite of her novels, combines humour, rich symbolism and pointed social criticism to create an unsentimental but affectionate portrait of rural life.
  JESGalway | Feb 12, 2019 |
Why I had an opinion on this book that it would be dreadful, I don't know.
I guess I've been judging the book I had by its cover.
After listening to it, I came to the concludion, that it's an agreable, nice book. A bit predictable, but I still liked it. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 3, 2019 |
A wonderful book about a disillusioned recluse who finds happiness when he adopts a little orphan girl. I was awed by the writing, George Eliot's witty, eloquent, insightful sentences. The characters are drawn with lots of compassion, humor and close observation; the dialogue pokes gentle fun at the prejudices of village folk. A charming tale of true love between parent and child; lost opportunities; and happiness that cannot be bought by money.

I listened to the Audible edition. The narration by Andrew Sachs was truly excellent. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Eppy only appeared in the middle of the story. George Eliot took time to pave the story till Eppy's appearance (indeed, she literally appeared in Marner's house). Though I was impatient for Eppy to appear, the background helps you to appreciate why Marner treasured Eppy so much as Eppy filled the void in his life, left hollow by the loss of his gold coins. This is a heartwarming book, the scenes when Eppy denied to return to his father was especially heart-warming. You fill that justice is done, although Godfrey is not a bad man. Eliot also devoted significant length to Godfrey's struggles regarding his secret marriage and his affection for Nancy. He decided to leave his fate to chance, which turned out to be smiling on him. His legal wife died leaving him free to marry Nancy. (I identified with Godfrey's struggles on what to do as I was also struggling with some issue while reading the book.) This is a classic for all time, the only flaw being too few pages devoted to Eppy's childhood. ( )
  siok | Sep 20, 2018 |

Moffett, H. Y.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montazzoli, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pitt, David G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowe, ClarenceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A child, more than all other gifts
That earth can offer to declining man,
Brings hope with it, and forward-looking thoughts,"

~ Wordsworth
In the days when the spinning wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses—and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread lace, had their toy spinning wheels of polished oak—there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who, by the side of the brawny country-folk, looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.
Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.
In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction.  We see no white-winged angels now.  But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.
There were old labourers in the parish of Raveloe who were known to have their savings by them, probably inside their flock-beds.
Perfect love has a breath of poetry which can exalt the relations of the least instructed human beings.
Instead of trying to still his fears, he encouraged them, with that superstitious impression which clings to us all, that if we expect evil very strongly it is the less likely to come;...

A bitter old man,
An infant who warms his heart,
More precious than gold.
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530624, Mass Market Paperback)

A gentle linen weaver is accused of a heinous crime. Exiling himself, he becomes a recluse, only to find redemption in his love for an abandoned child who mysteriously appears one day in his isolated cottage. Somber yet hopeful, Eliot's stirring tale continues to touch the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

A lonely old man, falsely accused of theft, finds salvation in the love of a young child.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439750, 0141389451

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,872,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible