Silas Marner - The Weaver of Raveloe by…

Silas Marner - The Weaver of Raveloe (original 1861; edition 1957)

by George Eliot, John M. Avent (Editor)

Member:rsubber
Title:Silas Marner - The Weaver of Raveloe
Authors:George Eliot
Other authors:John M. Avent (Editor)
Info:Allyn and Bacon, New York - The Academy Classics c1928
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, American literature, literature, 19th century

Silas Marner by George Eliot (1861)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (suniru)
    suniru: Both stories center around ophans and have heavy fairy tale roots.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (kxlly)
    The Lamplighter by Maria S. Cummins (KayCliff)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (kxlly)

English (101)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (106)
A simple, verging-on-silly allegory of a man wronged and prejudiced against, whose bitter and miserly existence finds salvation when he accidentally mistakes a lost Goldilocks for his stolen golden blocks. Sketchy villains abound but only to serve as foils or aids to Marner's downfall from or rise in community esteem. In fact, they are plucked straight out of the Storybook School of Villainry, where William is the calculating nerd, Dunstan the class clown and self-righteous Godfrey the talented but reluctant, un-self-aware graduate whom nobody suspects. For readers used to Eliot's psychological dissection of characters and realism, it is essential to keep in mind the fable aspect of this book all the way to its countryside-style fairytale ending.

Aside: It's an oddly fitting book to follow my previous read Demons by Dostoevsky, with secret marriages and the idea people's evils are the result of demons entering the body ( )
  kitzyl | Sep 16, 2016 |
So I read this with my nephew for his assigned reading in school. I was actually suprised at how much I enjoyed the book itself and really thought it was quite interesting. I love the stories of the past that can reach out and touch my heart. Definitely worth a re-read in the future. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Classic 1861 novel about a socially outcast weaver who adopts a child, and the country squire's son who keeps her true parentage secret. Like many novels of this time period, it's pretty wordy for the amount of actual story, but it's a pleasant read, with a warm message about what really makes a family. And George Eliot's writing displays a very keen eye for the details of human nature. ( )
  bragan | Aug 5, 2016 |
wonderful antidote to greed, I can't help but think that it was influenced by the Scarlett Letter ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
Silas Marner- George Eliot
3 stars

This was my mother’s favorite book from high school. She’s often told me that I should read it, what a good message it had; miserly hermit finds that the love of money is evil and the love of God is salvation. My mother and I have a different perspective on reading. She can’t justify the ‘idleness’ of reading a book unless it has a moral message. I can’t think of a better way to spend my time than reading a good book, but I dislike books that preach. Silas Marner was a bit too moralistic for me. I did enjoy the satirical pub conversations and the portrait of corruption in the landed gentry. I enjoyed Marner’s feeble attempts to discipline a toddler. I could see the implied criticism of the established religions and various superstitious practices. (Not sure if my mother ever realised that.) I know that Charles Dickens was favorably impressed with Elliot, but so far, I still prefer Dickens.
1 vote msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Moffett, H. Y.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montazzoli, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pitt, David G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowe, ClarenceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A child, more than all other gifts
That earth can offer to declining man,
Brings hope with it, and forward-looking thoughts,"

~ Wordsworth
In the days when the spinning wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses--and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread lace, had their toy spinning wheels of polished oak--there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who, by the side of the brawny country-folk, looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.
Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.
In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction.  We see no white-winged angels now.  But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.
There were old labourers in the parish of Raveloe who were known to have their savings by them, probably inside their flock-beds.
Perfect love has a breath of poetry which can exalt the relations of the least instructed human beings.
Instead of trying to still his fears, he encouraged them, with that superstitious impression which clings to us all, that if we expect evil very strongly it is the less likely to come;...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451530624, Mass Market Paperback)

A gentle linen weaver is accused of a heinous crime. Exiling himself, he becomes a recluse, only to find redemption in his love for an abandoned child who mysteriously appears one day in his isolated cottage. Somber yet hopeful, Eliot's stirring tale continues to touch the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

A lonely old man, falsely accused of theft, finds salvation in the love of a young child.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439750, 0141389451

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible