Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Song of Solomon (1978)

by Toni Morrison

Recently added bydananas, private library, jenniferw88, bm2ng, oacevedo, phollis68, Sandee88, tafergus70, sjr2154
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

English (77)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
I was sure I'd written a review of this book the other day, which seems to have been eaten by the ether. While I liked some of the langauage, which began to pull me in, once again, as with Morrison's other works, I felt myself pushed away on an emotional level, perhaps by memories I am still trying to evade, perhaps by a resistance to the style, or perhaps by a fear of the power of her ability to move her reader, which hit me from the first word. Too powerful for me, at this stage of my life, to read just yet.
Peace, May 20th, 12018 HE (The Holocene Calendar)
ShiraDest
#BasicIncome now! #EndPoverty & #EndMoneyBail (improve four parts of our #PublicDomainInfrastructure 4: (1. #libraries, 2. #ProBono legal aid and Education, 3. #UniversalHealthCare , and 4. good #publictransport )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is the story of a family whose last name is "Dead." Macon Dead is the father, married to Ruth who was the daughter of a locally famous Black doctor. Macon despises Ruth and Macon is caught somewhere between. Ruth lives in the past with her father, Macon lives to accumulate wealth. Their son, Macon, soon earns the nickname "Milkman" due to Ruth's nursing of him well past the time of toddlerhood.

Macon is estranged from his sister Pilate who lives with her daughter Reba and her granddaughter Hagar. Pilate wears an earring made of a tiny brass box carrying her name as written by her father who picked it out of the Bible. Milkman and Hagar eventually carry on an affair but Milkman leaves her leaving her angry and out to kill him.

There are so many family situations, most not good. Milkman eventually returns to where the family originated as slaves and finds out much of his family history. This is a book about the importance of family names and history; however, there is just too much weirdness for my taste. ( )
  maryreinert | Jan 31, 2019 |
Wow. Never read anything like it. A bit of magic, a lot of earthiness, family secrets, a young selfish man looking for gold and finding out about his family, his people and himself - and what flying really means. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I hardly know where to begin discussing this book. I'm ready to read it again, so my spirit can roll around in it, root even deeper into it's truth.

In "Auguries of Innocence" Blake tells us, To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour

In [b:Song of Solomon|11334|Song of Solomon|Toni Morrison|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1451448230s/11334.jpg|3215642], [a:Toni Morrison|3534|Toni Morrison|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1494211316p2/3534.jpg] conjures us into that world. This is not a fantasy - not at all. The people, the places, the feelings are all as real as the itch between your shoulder blades and just as viscerally compelling. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I don't even know how long it would have taken me to finally read this book had not my resolution to read more of the Bookslut 100 converged with book bingo: A book from the bottom of your to-read pile. Not that I have a pile,but if my list were prioritized, it would be near the bottom. I've owned it for years and years. I once picked it up and read about three pages before I gave up and put it back on the shelf. This book was not going anywhere soon.

Sometimes, I am a bit of an idiot.

Okay, so still, the first few pages were a bit bewildering and I had to kind of slog through them. But not much further in and I was hooked. I mean, it's not like it's a revelation to say that Toni Morrison is a great writer. I think that has pretty much been covered. But it's still a revelation to discover it for oneself.

What is the power of names? What is the value of knowing your heritage? The overlapping of stories and myths and meaning-making. The work of unravelling all of that. I don't know how it can be so foreign and yet so familiar all at the same time. If ever a book made you feel like you'd really walked that mile in a stranger's shoes, this book is on that shelf.

I'm grateful I finally read it. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
Daddy
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 140003342X, Paperback)

The third novel from one America's most powerful writers turns 20 years old in 1997, but Song of Solomon long ago ascended to the top shelf in the ranks of great literature. This Everyman's Library hardcover edition of the Nobel Prize-winning Morrison's lyrical, powerful, and erudite novel contains a chronology that situates the book in its historical context, and an introduction from author Reynolds Price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

Four generations of black life in America.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible