Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) by Toni…

Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1978; edition 1987)

by Toni Morrison

Member:kiwidoc
Title:Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Plume (1987), Paperback, 337 pages
Tags:Fiction. American.

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (1978)

Recently added byHXLibrary, private library, joririchardson, MaddLibbs, paulepps, rhond, Mittelmaerker, proustitute
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

English (61)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (65)
I really had no idea what this book was going into reading it--other than knowing Morrison is a Pulitzer recipient (although not for this book) and otherwise well-acclaimed author.

I found the storyline to move very similar to that of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in 100 Years of Solitude: in that, the story jumps around a bit, there are some fantastic elements to it, to be quite honest, if I don't know Morrison's ethnicity, I would have thought this book qualified as magic realism of the Hispanic literature genre.

All of the characters had pretty fantastic names (mostly pulled from the Bible)...and the plot was one that made me feel as if I were wandering through the lives of this family.

It was an interesting read, although once I reached the end, I am still not sure if or how the book is related to King Solomon mentioned in the Bible? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
One of the passages that struck me most was that of several African American men talking about the murder of Emmett Till. It could be a contemporary discussion of the murder of Trayvon Martin.

"They say Till had a knife," Freddie said.
"They always say that. He could of had a wad of bubble gum, they'd swear it was a hand grenade." ( )
  allison.sivak | Dec 25, 2013 |
This is a rich and rewarding book. The characters and images are well-drawn and memorable, and like all of Morrison's best work, it stands up to multiple interpretations. I think this book is an essential, especially as part of a careful reading of Morrison's oeuvre. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |
It’s been too many years since I’ve read Toni Morrison (“Paradise,” which was wonderful and “Sula,” which I don’t remember much about at all). This one brought back to the fore everything that I loved about “Paradise” all over again.

“Song of Solomon” tells the story of Macon (“Milkman”) Dead (far from the only peculiar name you’ll see encounter in this book), the son of a loveless marriage and an overbearing, despotic father, also named Macon. Morrison presents the reader with a wide cast of characters early in the novel, all fully drawn out, but refuses to hint at which ones you should be following most closely. There’s Macon Sr.’s sister, Pilate; her daughter, Rebecca; and Rebecca’s daughter, Hagar, all of whose names point directly to the kind of mythical, grand storytelling that Morrison is so invested in. Not even the Nobel Committee could escape the language of myth when mentioning her in their citation: “The Solomon of the title, the southern ancestor, was to be found in the songs of childhood games. His inner intensity had borne him back, like Icarus, through the air to the Africa of his roots. This insight finally becomes Milkman’s too.”

The action is centered around Milkman’s coming of age, and slightly resembles a Bildungsroman, though it’s so much richer and fuller than anything that word could connote. The novel is full of disintegrating, rotting relationships – between Ruth and Macon Sr., Pilate and Macon Sr., Milkman and his erstwhile best friend Guitar, and Milkman and his girlfriend Hagar. Without giving away too much, Milkman’s journey sets him on a path where he ends up learning about the circumstances of his own birth and his ancestors.

This was a spectacular novel, convincing me still again that Toni Morrison is a kind of American Homer, full of allegory and origins, an undiluted rhapsode always pushing for a deeper and more expansive and prophetic evaluation of our roots, our identities, and our borders. As often as she’s called a black writer, an African-American writer, a woman writer (that especially grating nineteenth-century appellation that rings of male condescension), she seems like none of these to me. She is American – as widely and deeply American as any of the other novelists who come before her.

This is a truly impressive piece of work, and a wonderful place to start if you’re unfamiliar with Morrison’s oeuvre. ( )
1 vote kant1066 | Aug 20, 2013 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
Daddy
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 140003342X, Paperback)

The third novel from one America's most powerful writers turns 20 years old in 1997, but Song of Solomon long ago ascended to the top shelf in the ranks of great literature. This Everyman's Library hardcover edition of the Nobel Prize-winning Morrison's lyrical, powerful, and erudite novel contains a chronology that situates the book in its historical context, and an introduction from author Reynolds Price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:26 -0400)

Four generations of black life in America.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible