Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) by Toni…

Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1978; edition 1987)

by Toni Morrison

7,15577497 (4)323
Title:Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Plume (1987), Paperback, 337 pages
Tags:Fiction. American.

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (1978)

English (71)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)

Eh. Had to read it for school and it didn't blow my mind or anything. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
I think this is my least favorite of Toni Morrison's books (that I've read) because it didn't connect for me very well. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Song of Solomon is about the past, present, and future of an extended family whose ancestors were slaves.

This was not the least accessible of Morrison's books, but it wasn't the most accessible, either. It doesn't jump around a lot like some of her other books, but at the same time, it's not totally linear. I liked it for the most part, but the ending left me dissatisfied, and I'm not entirely sure why. As always, Morrison does make you think. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Macon Dead, III, is coming of age in the Southside of Chicago (you know, the "baddest part of town"), where his father is a prosperous and respected man of property (read "landlord"), his mother is the daughter of the first black physician in the city, and his two older sisters make velvet roses to sell to department stores while drifting into terminal spinsterhood. His parents' loveless marriage occasionally erupts into low-level violence. None of this seems to matter much to Macon (who is known in the community as "Milkman", for reasons unknown to him), until one night at the dinner table, when without forethought, he decks his father for hitting his mother. From that moment on, spurred partly by his father's peculiar version of the "she had it coming" speech, Milkman becomes more interested in his family, his identity, his life. He learns bits and pieces of his family history from various individuals; sometimes the pieces fit, but often they contradict one another and raise more questions than they answer. As Milkman grows older he becomes more and more determined to sort out his place in his "tribe", to learn why names are so important, and what Life and Love are really worth. His roots-journeys to his family's former homes in Danville, PA, and Shalimar, VA, as well as into his own head and heart, make for a captivating and beautiful story. This doesn't happen often, but I am tempted to turn back to the beginning of this marvelous novel and re-read the whole thing right now.
Review written April 2014 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 140003342X, Paperback)

The third novel from one America's most powerful writers turns 20 years old in 1997, but Song of Solomon long ago ascended to the top shelf in the ranks of great literature. This Everyman's Library hardcover edition of the Nobel Prize-winning Morrison's lyrical, powerful, and erudite novel contains a chronology that situates the book in its historical context, and an introduction from author Reynolds Price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

Four generations of black life in America.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,797,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible