Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) by Toni…

Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1978; edition 1987)

by Toni Morrison

Member:kiwidoc
Title:Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Plume (1987), Paperback, 337 pages
Tags:Fiction. American.

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (1978)

Recently added byrolig, Merisha.Beckles, Litblog, private library, AmCorKragujevac, JeaniaK, seite, ecolleary
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

English (65)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (69)
To me this novel is about not being limited by your history and circumstance, but learning to understand, transcend and even love it. I was struck most when I read it about Pilate Dead's ability to love others and propel Milkman to transcendence over self and sense of place in the world.

The character names were brilliant. The novel has many layers of meaning and contexts in which it might be appreciated, and the names are just the beginning to unraveling them. ( )
  JeaniaK | Dec 13, 2014 |
A brilliant work whether read as an allegory of identity and origin or as a straight tale. The complex relationships between Milkman and his family, Milkman and Guitar, Macon and his wife, Macon and Pilate gave the book layers of meaning. Milkman's coming of age at a late time in life rang very true. His final realization that the world did not revolve around him, though long in coming, redeemed him as a truly heroic character. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
I don't even know how long it would have taken me to finally read this book had not my resolution to read more of the Bookslut 100 converged with book bingo: A book from the bottom of your to-read pile. Not that I have a pile,but if my list were prioritized, it would be near the bottom. I've owned it for years and years. I once picked it up and read about three pages before I gave up and put it back on the shelf. This book was not going anywhere soon.

Sometimes, I am a bit of an idiot.

Okay, so still, the first few pages were a bit bewildering and I had to kind of slog through them. But not much further in and I was hooked. I mean, it's not like it's a revelation to say that Toni Morrison is a great writer. I think that has pretty much been covered. But it's still a revelation to discover it for oneself.

What is the power of names? What is the value of knowing your heritage? The overlapping of stories and myths and meaning-making. The work of unravelling all of that. I don't know how it can be so foreign and yet so familiar all at the same time. If ever a book made you feel like you'd really walked that mile in a stranger's shoes, this book is on that shelf.

I'm grateful I finally read it. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
One of my favorites. A bold coming of age story threaded with a complex understanding of black culture. Milkman's birth is signified by a man's vain attempt to fly, symbolizing Milkman's continued efforts to fly throughout the rest of the novel. Worth the read, requires work to understand. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
I really had no idea what this book was going into reading it--other than knowing Morrison is a Pulitzer recipient (although not for this book) and otherwise well-acclaimed author.

I found the storyline to move very similar to that of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in 100 Years of Solitude: in that, the story jumps around a bit, there are some fantastic elements to it, to be quite honest, if I don't know Morrison's ethnicity, I would have thought this book qualified as magic realism of the Hispanic literature genre.

All of the characters had pretty fantastic names (mostly pulled from the Bible)...and the plot was one that made me feel as if I were wandering through the lives of this family.

It was an interesting read, although once I reached the end, I am still not sure if or how the book is related to King Solomon mentioned in the Bible? ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
Daddy
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 140003342X, Paperback)

The third novel from one America's most powerful writers turns 20 years old in 1997, but Song of Solomon long ago ascended to the top shelf in the ranks of great literature. This Everyman's Library hardcover edition of the Nobel Prize-winning Morrison's lyrical, powerful, and erudite novel contains a chronology that situates the book in its historical context, and an introduction from author Reynolds Price.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:26 -0400)

Four generations of black life in America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible