Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) by Toni…

Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1978; edition 1987)

by Toni Morrison

Member:overthemoon
Title:Song of Solomon (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Toni Morrison
Info:Plume Books (1987), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (1978)

English (79)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (84)
I was sure I'd written a review of this book the other day, which seems to have been eaten by the ether. While I liked some of the langauage, which began to pull me in, once again, as with Morrison's other works, I felt myself pushed away on an emotional level, perhaps by memories I am still trying to evade, perhaps by a resistance to the style, or perhaps by a fear of the power of her ability to move her reader, which hit me from the first word. Too powerful for me, at this stage of my life, to read just yet.
Peace, May 20th, 12018 HE (The Holocene Calendar)
ShiraDest
#BasicIncome now! #EndPoverty & #EndMoneyBail (improve four parts of our #PublicDomainInfrastructure 4: (1. #libraries, 2. #ProBono legal aid and Education, 3. #UniversalHealthCare , and 4. good #publictransport )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Very well written, I look forward to reading more by Toni Morrison. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | May 2, 2019 |
Peace, May 20th, 12018 HE (The Holocene Calendar)
ShiraDest
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is the story of a family whose last name is "Dead." Macon Dead is the father, married to Ruth who was the daughter of a locally famous Black doctor. Macon despises Ruth and Macon is caught somewhere between. Ruth lives in the past with her father, Macon lives to accumulate wealth. Their son, Macon, soon earns the nickname "Milkman" due to Ruth's nursing of him well past the time of toddlerhood.

Macon is estranged from his sister Pilate who lives with her daughter Reba and her granddaughter Hagar. Pilate wears an earring made of a tiny brass box carrying her name as written by her father who picked it out of the Bible. Milkman and Hagar eventually carry on an affair but Milkman leaves her leaving her angry and out to kill him.

There are so many family situations, most not good. Milkman eventually returns to where the family originated as slaves and finds out much of his family history. This is a book about the importance of family names and history; however, there is just too much weirdness for my taste. ( )
  maryreinert | Jan 31, 2019 |
Wow. Never read anything like it. A bit of magic, a lot of earthiness, family secrets, a young selfish man looking for gold and finding out about his family, his people and himself - and what flying really means. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The fathers may soar / And the children may know their names
Daddy
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o'clock.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 140003342X, Paperback)

The third novel from one America's most powerful writers turns 20 years old in 1997, but Song of Solomon long ago ascended to the top shelf in the ranks of great literature. This Everyman's Library hardcover edition of the Nobel Prize-winning Morrison's lyrical, powerful, and erudite novel contains a chronology that situates the book in its historical context, and an introduction from author Reynolds Price.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

Four generations of black life in America.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,512,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible