The First Part Last by Angela Johnson

The First Part Last (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Angela Johnson

Member:imagiphantaria
Title:The First Part Last
Authors:Angela Johnson
Info:Simon Pulse (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 132 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:johnson, YA, teen, teen pregnancy, new york, nyc, teen father

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson (2003)

The First Part Last By: Angela Johnson. This book makes it feel like real life. Bobby just a normal teen boy living high school years. But he soon finds out that him and his girlfriend Nia will have there life's changed in 9 months by a baby girl named Feather. They soon have to take responsibilities of parenthood, especially Bobby, he soon realizes this baby he will be raising on his own. This book didn't have chapters it went like "now" and "then". What was happening now he had flashbacks to when Nia was pregnant. This book I loved because it really showed how Bobby stepped up and became the father he needed to be for Feather and then he found out Nia was ill and pronounced brain dead during the pregnancy, then he knew he would have to raise this child on his own. Bobby is a great father and the love he has for his daughter is unconditional. This book I recommend reading because it really does show life lessons and it is a great book to explain teen pregnancy. Bobby had his life change with a baby girl, school and Nia condition but he made it through and was the father he was suppose to be. I was very impressed with this book. ( )
  jsteele7 | Jan 20, 2015 |
Bobby tries to explain how he got to where he is now: a sixteen-year-old single father in New York City, with a baby girl he loves more than anything. A very short, very powerful book told in a non-linear fashion. Highly, highly recommended. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Apr 1, 2014 |
A quick read and an excellent recommendation for those wanting realistic fiction on teen pregnancy. I loved the character, Bobby, who although he was not prepared to become a teen father, stepped up and adjusted his priorities. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 10, 2014 |
In this thrilling book, 16-year-old Bobby is quickly thrust into the responsibilities of adulthood when his girlfriend, Nia, has a baby and Bobby is expected to raise the baby without much assistance. This book is fast-paced and easy to read as well as compelling and enlightening. It is an especially effective hi-lo (high interest, low reading level) book for struggling young adult readers. However, all readers should find it equally readable and riveting. Told through the perspective of Bobby, the chapters in the book alternate between “now” and “then,” with Bobby alternating descriptions of his current situation with flashbacks to the story of Nia’s pregnancy. Author Angela Johnson has painted such a realistic portrait of Bobby and his struggles that readers will be caught up in his emotions and thoughts and feel for him as the story moves along. Many readers will be able to relate to the book’s themes of family, responsibility, and coming of age. This book could be used to teach older middle school/high school students about teenage pregnancy, its consequences, and how to protect against it. ( )
  CarolineBraden | Nov 29, 2013 |
Review's Link: http://taylorsawesomebookreviews.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/book-review-the-first-...
Review's text:

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bobby is the typical teenager. He hangs out with his friends, has a girlfriend, and goes to school. When Bobby’s girlfriend tells him she’s pregnant, Bobby thinks that worse has happened. Unfortunately for Bobby, there were more hardships to come.

The book is not written in chronological order. In addition to being a unique take on teen pregnancy, this book adds more interesting perspectives of storytelling. Students might be able to learn a new style or even just learn from Bobby’s experiences.

I really enjoyed this book. While I was concerned that it would upset me (given my closeness to teen pregnancy) – the book did just the opposite. I did almost cry at one point, but because I could feel Bobby’s pain – not because of stupid choices made.

What I Want to Add:

I didn’t even realize that this was part of a series until after I read the book and went to review it on goodreads. I’m not sure if I want to read the other books in this series, but would not be opposed to checking them out (if that makes sense…). I borrowed this book from a professor.

I was really worried given the fact that it was written about teenage parents – something that I care deeply about. I was afraid of the book’s characters – that they would be stereotypical and trashy. I was surprised (mostly happily surprised) by the twist in what could have easily been another episode of Sixteen and Pregnant. Having the father being more involved than the mother was pretty awesome!

I wasn’t expecting the big plot twist. I wont ruin it now – but will tell you that there is one.

Honestly I skimmed a lot of this book when I read it. It wasn’t that it was poorly written or anything like that – I just had a lot of stuff going on in my life. I did get through the whole thing in a matter of hours – very easy to read.

I would recommend this book for older middle school students (and above). While some may fear that this will cause more teenage pregnancies (a fear that I do not understand at all!) – well… I have no response to those who fear this book. Guys might be interested in it to see that they (as potential fathers) have a say as well!

My rating: 4/5 stars

Sincerely,

Taylor

Have questions, requests, etc.? Then feel free to e-mail me at taylorreadingblog23@Yahoo.com ( )
  taylor.troncin | Aug 6, 2013 |
For Elizabeth Acevedo and the rest of the students in the 1999-2000 sixth-grade class at the Manhattan School for Children
My mom says that I didn't sleep through the night until I was eight years old.

Bobby's carefree teenage life changes forever when he becomes a father and must care for his adored baby daughter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,171,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible