The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of…

The Serpent Slayer: and Other Stories of Strong Women

by Katrin Tchana, Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator)

190793,820 (4.21)2

I love how some of the women (I almost said young women, but they're not all young!) determine that they're not as strong* as men, and so must be clever. And how some of them *are* as strong as, or even stronger than, men. Of course, all of them are brave. Many, but not all, are also charming, and/or beautiful, and/or compassionate, and/or wise. None of them are imperfect, which makes the stories a little bit too-too much, but then, it's not that kind of book.

What it is a perfect book for my husband's grand-daughters, who are being raised on Disney Princesses. I might just have to ship a copy to them....

*to clarify, strong as in muscular... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A wonderful collection of stories featuring female leads being strong, brave, and clever. Amazing illustrations. Some gore and more mature themes.
  ClaraN | Mar 10, 2016 |
Beautiful, earthy illustrations of fairy tales from around the world. Trina Schart Hyman has been my favorite illustrator all of my life, and I seek out her work, no matter where it is. To my glee, Hyman tends to pick fantastic projects. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Retold by Katrin Hyman Tchana, daughter of the collection's illustrator, Caldecott Medal winner Trina Schart Hyman.

"This book is a collection of fairy tales that are -- sort of -- from around the world. Sort of, because there aren't stories here from every country in the world or even every continent."

What I loved most about The Serpent Slayer and Other Stories of Strong Women was how colorful it was: both its illustrations and its heroes. Compared to Not One Damsel in Distress: World Folktales for Strong Girls|, Serpent Slayer felt more diverse with its sources and characters' ethnicity.

Also, contrary to what Yolen said about genderizing hero in Not One Damsel in Distress, these two embrace heroines.

"The stories in this collection are about women and girls who find themselves in difficult circumstances and respond in brave, clever, and thoughtful ways. Most collections of folk and fairy tales are collections of stories that remind us how to be heroes. But these stories are all about heroines. A heroine's experience is different from that of a hero's, for woman's experience of life through the ages has been different from man's. We believe we need more books that reflect that experience."

Recommended to all ages.

4 stars

All eighteen tales with the countries or continent from which they were based if it was mentioned in the "Source Notes" at the back of the book:

The Serpent Slayer (China)
The Barber's Wife (India)
Nesoowa and the Chenoo (North America/the Wabanaki)
Clever Marcela (Phillipines; Chile)
Sister Lace (China)
The Rebel Princess (Poland/Jewish)
Beebyeebyee and the Water God (Cameroon)
Kate Crackernuts (none specified but I think it's Scottish)
The Old Woman and the Devil (Egypt; Sudan; Asia)
The Magic Lake (Latin America)
Grandmother's Skull (North America/the Inuit and Yupik peoples)
Three Whiskers from a Lion's Chin (Egypt; Sudan; Asia)
Duffy the Lady (England)
Sun-Girl and Dragon-Prince (Armenia)
Staver and Vassilissa (none specified but I think it's Russian)
Tokoyo (Japan)
The Lord's Daughter and the Blacksmith's Sea (Scotland)
The Marriage of Two Masters (Gambia; Jewish; Egypt; Sudan) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 2, 2016 |
Excellent compilation of folk tales from around the world featuring strong women as the lead characters. ( )
  GReader28 | Oct 30, 2015 |

Katrin Tchanaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schart Hyman, TrinaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316387010, Hardcover)

Nothing is more satisfying than watching a valiant hero conquer a dragon, outwit a thief, or destroy a monstrous cannibal--unless it's seeing an intrepid heroine accomplish all these brave feats! In this remarkable anthology by the mother-daughter team of Trina Schart Hyman and Katrin Tchana, 18 stories showcase the courage, cleverness, and integrity of women who dare to go beyond their traditional roles and stand up for themselves and their people. Gleaned from fairy tales from around the world and retold by Tchana to make them "more vivid and vital to her audience," the stories include the tale of Li Chi, a 14-year-old girl who refuses to let a greedy sorcerer continue to sacrifice young girls to a horrible serpent. Clever Marcela is so cunning, she manages to outsmart a king--and fall in love while she's at it. Then there's Amarjit, the barber's wife, who, fed up with her handsome husband's laziness, manages to take matters in her own hands and create fabulous wealth from nothing. Caldecott Award-winner Trina Schart Hyman (Saint George and the Dragon) paints spectacular illustrations, worthy of their esteemed role in capturing both the noble and the grotesque. (Ages 7 to 11) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

A collection of twenty traditional tales from various parts of the world, each of whose main character is a strong and resourceful woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible