Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Cock and Bull by Will Self

Cock and Bull (original 1993; edition 2006)

by Will Self

Member:tim_dray
Title:Cock and Bull
Authors:Will Self
Info:Bloomsbury (2006), Paperback

Cock & bull by Will Self (1993)

English (6)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (7)
My question is can I get my money back and why why why is this writer feted and lauded over like the King of wherever when his work is so miserbaly unappealing please no more Self . Enough . ( )
  anya127 | Jul 23, 2010 |
OK so a woman, much to her astonishment, begins to sprout a penis in "Cock: A Novelette", the first of these twin satires. "Bull" the second, is about a man who develops a vagina behind the bend in his knee.....so either you're drawn to this bizarre idea or not. Only Will Self could write this stuff, and write it WELL. ( )
  Darkman | Jan 1, 2009 |
I generally enjoy stories that explore gender identity, but I really disliked this one. I read the second story first, the story about the man who develops a vagina in the pit of his knee, and I was really upset by the story that unfolded. Mostly I hated the doctor character, who made the story way more unpleasant, but that was just the nature of the story. That and... being very weird.

I only read a little more than half of the first story, about the woman who develops a penis, before I gave up. It's a much more normal story, mostly about the woman being sexually frustrated with her husband and how eventually the only way that they have to connect is through a mutual friend and the effort that the pair are putting in the husband's AA recovery. It just wasn't interesting enough for me to continue. I would believe the story gets better once the woman gains a new sexual perspective, but I had something else I wanted to read.

The writing also just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I'm still planning on reading "Great Apes" by the same author, but I'm a little less enthusiastic about it now. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jul 27, 2008 |
A man develops a vagina on his leg, and his doctor, an aficionado of that sexual organ, falls in love with him. A woman develops a penis, and everything about the world around her seems to change.

Of such metamorphoses does Will Self make his comedy. Modern-day Kafka? Or just oddity?

I wasn't quite sure. But odd, for sure. ( )
  wirkman | Apr 10, 2007 |
Two bitingly erudite and absurdist novellas describe characters who suddenly sprout the genitalia of the opposite sex.

If David Lodge were to collaborate with Monty Python, the results might resemble this wickedly playful, gender-bending pair of novellas. The first, Cock: A Novelette, concerns Carol, a passive young woman trapped in an unsatisfying marriage, who starts developing a penis. Personality changes soon follow, leading to unpleasant consequences for Dan, her loutish husband. Bull: A Farce , meanwhile, involves a typical Englishman, archetypally named John Bull, who wakes up one day to discover a "wound" on his leg that turns out be a vagina. The doctor who examines him develops a more-than-professional interest in his new genitalia, and the two begin a confused affair. While gender complications play an obvious role in these satiric tales, Self's real target is "the horror that shadows each and every aspect of the ordinary ( )
  addict | Dec 7, 2006 |

This black comedy is divided into two parts. In the first a woman grows a penis and rapes her husband. In the second a man grows a vagina behind his knee and is then seduced by his doctor. Self was shortlisted for the John Llewellyn Rhys prize for his collection "The Quantity Theory of Insanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

Carol, the heroine of Cock, is extremely dissatisfied with her married life. Realisation that her husband Dan is not the man for her has come too late and insult follows injury as Dan's drinking problem gives way to an obsessive fervour for Alcoholics Anonymous. One evening while Dan is out, Carol discovers something entirely unexpected about herself that leads her into rather twisted and distinctly uncharted waters.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible