The Day My Bum Went Psycho by Andy Griffiths

The Day My Bum Went Psycho

by Andy Griffiths

We did not get past chapter 1 of this dreadful book. While my son has a healthy interest in bathroom humor and giggles at any mention of nuts, balls, flatulence, & butts, this was way too juvenile for him (if you can believe it). I can't imagine anyone liking this above 2nd grade, but the reading level seems too high for 2nd graders. Literally, butts jump off of their human bodies and run around with little arms & legs, speaking English words of revolt in flatulence, and have a war with the butt-less bodies left behind for their rightful place in the world; on top of the neck. My 4th grader and I were disgusted. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I purchased this book for my 11 year old for Christmas. I picked it up one day needing something to read in a hurry. It was funny, and clever, and very silly. Perfect for a boy his age. And apparently just fine for me too. ( )
  aputel | May 18, 2015 |
A hysterically funny story about an unlikely, clumsy, and scared little hero named Zack. In this world, butts have little stick legs and arms. They can swim, fly, have teeth, grow fins (can be Great Whites), and they can be gigantic or miniature…in short just like in real life!

Zack’s butt has runaway, again, and this time it has gone psycho. The mass butt plot is to rearrange everyone the world over, via buttcanoe, and then let butts “take their rightful places…on top of the neck!”

Zack, the famous butt-hunter’s daughter Ellanor, and the B-Team (The Slapper, The Kicker, and The Kisser) team up to take-out the Great White Butt and stop Zack’s butt too! Kisser pulls a nasty double-cross, but luck saves Zack in the end. Ned Smelly also stops in for more comic relief…wait this whole book is comic relief. One butt pun after another! This was a pretty stinking good book! I read it in two sittings! ( )
  NicolBolas | Oct 2, 2011 |
The day my bum went psycho by Andy Griffiths is the first book of three. The book is about a boy and how he lost his bum, Zack Freeman has to take a ride across the great windy desert, trough the brown forest and in the deep heart of the bumcano, to fight the biggest, ugliest, pimpliest bum ever. I did enjoy reading this book as I read the book a long time ago and it brings back nostalgia. Even if the cover says it’s based on a true story it’s not as it is to ridiculous. It still has a good and interest storyline; I think what interesting that bum get fed up the neglect and mistreatment of them and so decide to run away. It is a comedy, and has some laugh but its usage of the word bum is funny for about 2minutes then just gets tedious, it might be more appealing to the more immature audiences but for me it just got more and more repetitive throughout the book. The author did a good job will its characters, allot of imagination went into them. The author also did a great job introducing them, all were pretty interesting none the same as other
Overall the book was pretty good and is recommending for 10-14 year olds. The book did make me laugh a few times and that’s a good thing.
  KhangNguyen | Jul 8, 2011 |
I'll admit I didn't heed the GROSS warning on the very first page, I'm glad I didn't! I was fast paced, suspenseful and funny with quite a twist near the end. I'd recommend this book to any one with a sense of humor!
  cougargirl1967 | Aug 8, 2009 |
First published in Australia as The Day my Bum Went Psycho, republished in the US as The Day My Butt Went Psycho.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439424690, Paperback)

While wisely rated G for Gross ("Contains immature material not suitable for adults"), Andy Griffiths' very funny debut novel will almost certainly blow away--perhaps literally, stinkingly--anyone of any age who's ever suspected that their backside might be up to something.

Translated from the Australian (sold Down Under as "The Day My Bum Went Psycho"), this adventure begins with the nighttime flight of our 12-year-old protagonist Zach's pale little heinie and doesn't let up for over 200 pages--most of which are filled almost exclusively with the word "butt." At first, Zach believes his butt might be leading some sort of minor butt rebellion, but the plot quickly thickens to include a global army of feral butts, the "greatest buttcano in the history of the world," and a head-butt "rearrangement" conspiracy that goes all the way to the... um, bottom. Our well-meaning but naive hero Zach soon gets mixed up with the butt-fighting "B-team" (the Kicker, the Kisser, and the Smacker, who all "love the smell of freshly smacked butt in the morning!"), fires his very first 4502-LL ("The LL stood for Laxative Launcher"), learns how to "butt-hop" ("The average butt has enough gas to propel itself and a rider for twenty minutes...."), and goes on a long, wild chase involving cluster butts, buttcatchers, kamikaze butts, stinkants, and even the fearsome Stenchgantor, "the Great Unwiped Butt." (And that's not even counting all those seagoing butt piranhas and poopoises.)

Griffiths surely likes the cheap laughs and doesn't miss a single opportunity for buttly wordplay (from "high-frequency emissions" to the smell-ranking "Rectum scale"), but that doesn't make The Day My Butt Went Psycho any less clever--the fast-moving plot has as many double-crosses as double entendres, and Griffiths weaves in some pretty brilliant ideas. Who knew you could have a death throe scene between a butt and its owner? Also includes a snarky butt glossary in the book's... uh, rear. (Ages 9 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:38 -0400)

Zack Freeman is ready to tell his story of a brave young boy and his crazy runaway butt. The story conveys a crack butt-fighting unit called the B-team, a legendary Butt Hunter's formidable daughter, and some of the ugliest and meanest butts ever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,083,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible