Close to the Bone by Kendra Elliot

Close to the Bone

by Kendra Elliot

215689,327 (4)5

No tags.

Close to the Bone by Kendra Elliot is the first book in the new romantic suspense Widow’s Island series. This is a series written by Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh, with them alternating books. They are all novellas, yet read like a full length story.

This book introduces the reader to FBI Special Agent Cate Wilde. She was suffering from a gun shot injury and came home to Widow Island to recuperate. Her recuperation is cut short when a skeleton is found on a nearby island and she is the only agent close enough to respond. Cate teams up with her old friend Tessa Black, who is a deputy. When Cate and Tessa were 15, a friend disappeared, so they are wondering if this skeleton could be her, or is the local girl who went missing two years earlier. We also meet Henry, the new doctor to the island, who did not know that meant he was also the coroner. There are some sparks between Henry and Cate that I hope will come to fruition in future books.

Close to the Bone was a great start to this series. It is surprising that even with the short novella length story, the plot is well done with all the elements of a good mystery. The characters were fleshed out enough that I got to know them well enough to be looking forward to what will come next in their lives. Well done Kendra Elliot. I listened to this book from Kindle Unlimited and enjoy the narration for this quick read and I hope to continue listening to this series. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
FBI Special Agent Cate Wilde is summoned back home to a remote island in the Pacific Northwest (Widow's Island) because a teenager's skeletal remains have been found on an island nearby (Ruby's Island). Also on the case is Cate's old friend, county deputy Tessa Black. While they try to solve the case they are reminded of their good friend (Samantha) who vanished twenty years ago and who was never found, and the similarities in this case to that case.

This was a very captivating story/novella. It was the first in the "Widow's Island" series. I liked the atmospheric setting of the island and I found the people who lived there interesting. Some islanders even believed Ruby's Island had a ghost. I also liked the friendship between Cate and Tessa. There was a slight romance between Cate and the local doctor Henry, who I liked, but the main focus was on the mystery.

This was my first read by Kendra Elliot and I really enjoyed it. I liked the brief paranormal elements concerning the ghost Ruby and the backstory to how the islands got their names. I look forward to reading the next "Widow's Island" novella. ( )
  SandraLynne | Nov 26, 2018 |
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) I was pretty excited to the collaboration of these authors..I like Kendra Elliott and have been a fan of hers for years and then we have Melinda Leigh who takes the other part. in next book..Anyhoo it was exciting, suspenseful and you need to grab, we have FBI Agent Cate who is back in Widow's Island to recover from injury but does not stay down since she is back and joining a case that will have her joining her friend Deputy Tessa Black..Good my friends but I want you to grab so wont give you more details..Sorry..Enjoy! ( )
  Pelusa41 | Oct 15, 2018 |
Really enjoyed the book! My only complaint- I wish it was longer!!! Loved the story, characters and writing style. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and can't wait until Cate and Tessa start looking into what happened to their best friend.

FBI Special Agent Cate Wilde is back at her grandmother's home recuperating after being shot. Home is a remote island in the Pacific Northwest, which doesn't always have reliable ferry service to the mainland. Cate is supposed to be on medical leave, but gets called to help when skeletal remains are found on a nearby island. Cate has the help of Tessa Black, the local deputy and a childhood friend, and Henry Powers, new doctor on the island. Henry also happens to get the title of coroner for the island. The bones need to be identified. Only two teens, Becca and Samantha, have gone missing over the years. Samantha happens to be the best friend of Cate and Tessa. She disappeared nearly twenty years ago.

Can't wait for the next books in the series. This book centered more on Cate and getting to know her. I see a spark of romance starting between Cate and Henry. One of my favorite parts was when Cate was visiting Stan Irish's farm and the cheerful cows.

Definitely recommend this book!!

Thanks to NetGalley, Montlake Romance and the author, Kendra Elliot, for a free electronic ARC of this novel. ( )
  JenniferLynn | Oct 15, 2018 |
FBI Special Agent Cate Wilder is back home on Widow's Island recovering from a gunshot wound to the shoulder and the loss of her partner when she gets a call to check out some bones on Ruby's Island. Since the ferry isn't running, no other agent can get there.

This is rather traumatic for Cate since her best friend disappeared when she was fourteen and Cate and Tessa have been feeling guilt ever since. Both Cate and Tessa went into law enforcement and now Tessa is back home working on Widow's Island as a deputy.

The bones might be of their friend Samantha but it is more likely that the bones belong to Becca Conan who disappeared a few years earlier. Her father is the only one who lives on Ruby's Island. He's a best selling mystery author who has taken his daughter's disappearance badly. His wife headed back to New York but he won't leave because he is still holding out hope that Becca will come home some day.

The story, for all its brevity, builds a lot in. Widow's Island is a unique place. Many, including Cate and Samantha, are descendant's of the original settlers and still recall the scandal of Elias Bishop, wealthy shipbuilder, who betrayed his wife Camilla with Ruby. Elias and Ruby died together and many thought that Camilla was responsible. Cate is the great-great-granddaughter of Ruby and Elias. She feels certain that she's seen Ruby's ghost but that isn't something she's shared with many. Also, Widow's Island is unique in that some feel at home there and find it a healing place while others can't get comfortable there and quickly move on. Cate's mother is one of those who moved on leaving her son and daughter to her own mother to raise.

There's a budding romance between Cate and the new doctor on the island. The main mystery in this one - the identity of the bones and who killed her - is solved. But the bigger mystery of Samantha's disappearance is still unsolved and Tessa and Cate decide that they need to look into it. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 3, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,573,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible