The Good, the Bad, and the Duke by Janna…

The Good, the Bad, and the Duke

by Janna MacGregor (Author)

Member:whybehave2002
Title:The Good, the Bad, and the Duke
Authors:Janna MacGregor (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2018), 364 pages
Collections:Series, Historical, NetGalley, Read, Christmas
Rating:*****
Tags:5-star, christmas, ebook, england, family-saga, london, netgalley, romance-historical, series, regency

The Good, the Bad, and the Duke by Janna MacGregor

He’d been desired before, but never with that look. She thought him noble.
He stumbled back a step.

Fourth in the Cavensham Heiresses series, we finally get Paul Barstowe, the Duke of Southart's story. He is the friend of the previous heroes of the series who has become the outcast due to circumstances out of his control and of his own making. Our heroine Daphne is the younger sister to one of the previous heroes and she has always held a tendre for Paul. When Daphne ends up accidentally being home alone during Christmas time and desperately searching for her stolen diary, Paul ends up partnering her on the adventures.

Even if you haven't read the previous books in the series, there wouldn't much of a problem starting here. The author does a good job of relaying the how and why of past relationships, there would be a missed deeper connection but Daphne and Paul's relationship is the main focus of the story and that starts in this book. Paul's history is a little bit of wrong place, wrong time with some ill gotten luck, his father was cold to him and while he had a loving relationship with his brother, that brother is now deceased. His two closest friends are still wary and cold to him but since obtaining the title of Duke, he has been working hard to make something of himself.

Daphne is surrounded by happy marriages and is starting to get tired of hiding in the shadows as a way to not cause problems as she didn't want to upset anyone after her sister died. When she gets left alone, she finds it a perfect opportunity to get her life in order. I liked the premise of these two coming together, enjoyed a few flashbacks to how she and Paul interacted in their younger years but the physical attraction started immediately and was the focus throughout the vast majority of the story.

I feel like I'm beginning to notice a trend in historical romance where there is an insistence to feature blowjobs. The first one featured here isn't between the hero and heroine but the heroine's desire to watch and want and the heroine's second sexual encounter with the hero where she does the act, felt out of place in this. I, personally, read historicals for a different feel on the romance between the heroine and hero, I like the focus to be more on the words or feelings and not physical acts in the bedroom. I'm not saying this can never work for me but, here, it didn't.

I also like to read historicals for the time period feel and as Daphne and Paul never venture from about three locations, her house, a gaming hall, and his house, I couldn't even tell you within ten years when this story was supposed to take place. I like character driven stories, with the thread of wanting to find Daphne's diary, this story was mainly focused on Daphne and Paul but they never ventured from Paul finding Daphne gorgeous but constantly and morosely thinking he wasn't good enough for her and Daphne wanting Paul, with her wanting to stem only from him being nice to her when she was younger and his good looks. There was also a lot of repetitiveness, with Daphne being close to TSTL with insisting on putting herself in obviously dangerous (reputation wise) situations, Paul objecting but then eventually going along with her, so much rinse and repeat.

There just wasn't enough meat to this story to keep me actively involved, I felt like I was passively reading because all our main characters did was lust (kind of lukewarm meandering lust, at that) and our hero was a little bit of an Eeyore about how he wasn't good enough. I've read the first in the series (debut) by this author and thought she had good promise and then really enjoyed the second, but this one felt like a lackluster phone in. I do, however, find the cover to still be as gorgeous as ever. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
The sparks fly between the two main characters. This story has colorful characters that are lots of fun! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jan 19, 2019 |
This is a fun story with romance and some mystery. I would like a little less sex but that is just me. I loved the characters. I loved Daphne and Paul. They both had a lot of things to learn in this story . This is a very enjoyable series. I have really enjoyed each of the Cavensham heiresses. I received a copy of this book from St. Martin’s Press Through Netgalley for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Dec 23, 2018 |
Scandal and love!

Lady Daphne Hallworth finds herself left behind when her mother and brother depart for different locations before joining forces for the upcoming Christmas celebrations. Each thinks that Daphne has gone with the other. Her brother's ex best friend, now worst enemy, Paul Barstowe, Duke of Southart, along with the family's delightful under butler, come to her rescue. (Both in different ways.)
I adored both these leading characters, along with some delightful and some dastardly supporting personalities.
These are two people who find themselves encouraged by each other.
Barstowe is the proverbial bad boy with the damaged heart, Daphne is a hellion who has learned to effectively efface herself so as not to make trouble.
Now, at Christmas time their world becomes larger and for Daphne more daring.
A stolen journal with scandalous secrets is the key that starts it all, at this forgiving time of the year.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Nov 29, 2018 |
The Good, The Bad, and The Duke by Janna MacGregor
The Cavensham Heiresses #4

When Lady Daphne Hayworth was nine an encounter with Paul Barstowe, her brother’s best friend, made a lasting impression. Years later they are given the opportunity to spend time together during the holidays and what transpires changes both of their lives forever. It takes them a bit of time to get to their happily ever after but with each page read I felt the story building and growing in a way that had me hoping all would work out for both of them in the end.

This story is well plotted and written with both Daphne and Paul people I admired and could relate to. I loved their story and can’t wait to read what comes next. I am unsure who gets their story told next BUT would love to see the vicar appear in a book of his own someday as he is a man that intrigues me.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4-5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Nov 28, 2018 |
To Anthony—Two sentences weren’t enough, but you lucky dog, you went home with the heart-shaped rock.
Soon, she’d face her nemesis in hand-to-hand combat.
Hell’s fury is like a slap from a kitten’s paw when compared to your brother’s wrath.
“I believe the term is ‘economical use of words.’” She tapped her chin with one index finger. “Or is it ‘terminological exactitude’?”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,389,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible