dismiss

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (1), Tom Sawyer (1) (1), Tom Sawyer (2) (1)

The adventures of a boy growing up in the nineteenth century in a Mississippi River town, as he plays hookey on an island, witnesses a crime, hunts for pirates' treasure, and becomes lost in a cave.

English (245)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (267)
Mark Twain, or rather, Samuel Clemens, was a special man. When he wasn't hating everyone generally but loving them individually, he was writing very observant tales that did much more than scratch the surface of hypocrisy, racism, and the gullibility that resides in us all.

I'm a fan. A big fan. And the man was very witty. "There is no weather in this book." God. I love this shit.

So when I finally get around to re-reading his old stuff like Tom Sawyer, a YA book if I've ever read one, I was certain that I'd be getting a real treat. White-washing was never so fun. Neither was swinging a dead cat over one's head. Or getting involved with MURDER.

Jeeze, I read this and I was thinking of Stephen King's [b:The Body|11574|The Body|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328182521s/11574.jpg|2334601] and thinking about The Goonies and thinking about Treasure Island. What do all of these stories have in common with Tom Sawyer?

Everything.

And I guess I think I like bad-boy Tom better now than when I was younger. Sure, all of these kids are pretty stupid pretty much all the time, but then, weren't we all? :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I read this in school, and mostly enjoyed finding the references to Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Granny in Tulsa, OK gave this to me. I was eight or nine. This book meant a lot to me, and it gave me a love of reading. I would spend the hot summertime weekends in Norman, OK, going to the library--reading anything, and everything I could. I'm sure that everyone has that special book from their childhood... ( )
  benbrainard8 | Apr 18, 2020 |
Classic in every sense. Something new every time you read it. ( )
  tgraettinger | Apr 18, 2020 |
You know, I’ve read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn multiple times… but I’ve never read about Tom Sawyer? Oh, sure, I know plenty about Tom. I know the old get-your-friends-to-paint-the-fence trick (you’ve got to give it to Tom – he was quite clever about that). I know he’s in love with Becky Thatcher and that there’s a cave and treasure and people think he died at one point, but honestly? Most of that I got from seeing a lot of trailers for Tom & Huck when I was a kid, and having gone to Tom Sawyer’s Island in the Magic Kingdom. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are both classic American literary icons, for better or worse.

Actually, I think Tom as a character is pretty great. He’s incredibly dramatic to the point of being humorous. He’s solemn and serious when the occasion calls for it, but he’s also brave. Tom Sawyer is a kid in the way that I feel like we don’t write children anymore. He’s whimsy and slyness and sweetness and trouble. Perhaps in the modern age we don’t have the time and trust for such frivolities… how different our lives are now than 100 years ago!

Like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, this book is written around a series of small adventures. While Huck travels the wide world, Tom sicks pretty close to St. Petersburg, MO. There are pirates (imaginary), robbers (real), and murders (also real). Honestly, it’s quite the adventure book and I can see why so many of the scenes are classics. But I really don’t think it’s the story here that makes it memorable – I think it’s Tom himself.

I wrote a little while ago about unsavory themes in classic literature, and at the time, I’d included The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as an example. If I were to go back and re-write that post, I’d definitely include Tom Sawyer, because while Jim’s characterization feels like a choice made by Twain to outline the inherent racism of his audience… ‘Injun Joe’ feels like much more of a harmful stereotype. Perhaps it’s because he’s the villain that it feels so much worse, but every time we got back to talking about the overarching plot, I cringed. That doesn’t mean the whole book is unreadable, there are definitely bits that are delightful and those are the ones preserved by pop culture, like the fence and Tom and Becky But I was a bit uncomfortable the the vagrant behavior of the villain, and I am sure that someone will reply saying that too was satirical, but honestly… I didn’t need it..

As for the book itself and my experience with it… I had the hardest time pushing myself through Tom Sawyer. I’m not sure if it was the episodic storytelling (which is a style, and there’s nothing wrong with it) or the way Tom so easily got out of scrapes, or just me. I think most likely it’s just me… but I dragged myself through this book and while I think Tom as a character is worthy of remembering, as far as Twain’s writing goes, Huck Finn and A Connecticut Yankee are both better reads.

Come for the classic and the lead up to the Huckleberry Finn story, but I would say don’t expect to have your socks knockoff by something deep and profound and moving or anything like that. There’s an ounce of Twain’s wit in this one, but I prefer to go in for a gallon. ( )
  Morteana | Apr 3, 2020 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,733,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible