The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (1)

Unread books (1,011)

English (232)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (251)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain is an historical fiction book about the conventional life of a young boy. In this edition illustrated by Robert Ingpen, the story of Tom Sawyer, a schemer, is told about growing up in Missouri. This amusing book takes place in 1876 near the Mississippi River. This book would be of interest to elementary school children in grades 3 and up so they may learn about life in the late 1800's on the Mississippi River.
  JoanEChasse | Jul 10, 2018 |
Even though this book is well over a century old it still holds up! It's funny, witty, and remarkably insightful into the head of a mischievous young boy. The games, and clothes, and manners may have changed; but kids would still be easily able to relate to the games that Tom Sawyer and his friend Huckleberry Finn play. From pirates to adventurers, they know how to have fun with practically nothing but their imagination. And the trouble, lord these two boys know how to get in trouble and worry their families half to death. From running away, getting lost in caves, witnessing a murder and more, Tom Sawyer is the king of trouble. A must read classic! ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 6, 2018 |
Fun little adventure book.

[a:Mark Twain|1244|Mark Twain|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1322103868p2/1244.jpg] is hilarious, and his social commentary throughout the book is often enough to get a genuine chuckle out of me. In particular, the quotes throughout the examination section were rather great. [a:Mark Twain|1244|Mark Twain|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1322103868p2/1244.jpg] is rather good at coining pithy quotes, and capturing the more whimsical facts of life in such a way that reflect both a child's wonder and an adult's cynicism. The book is grand for that.

A traditional adventure story, I had trouble parsing out which bits I remember from actually reading abridged versions of the book, and which I remember from say... Wishbone or film adaptations. The book wandered a bit much from me, and I understand now (at least I think I do) why it's cut the way it is in order to make for a film. What I'm saying is, the plot wasn't terribly strong with this one.

Where [a:Harper Lee|1825|Harper Lee|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1188820730p2/1825.jpg] can get away with her story wandering, it works because it all ties together in the end. I didn't quite feel that was the case in this book, and ended up not able to take all that much away from the story. Good for nostalgia, but not too great at holding up to the test of time for me at least. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I think I was supposed to read this in college. But never did. There were more important things to do like... (never mind).

It was time to make up for the mistakes of my youth and take in a classic. That the audiobook was narrated by Nick Offerman was a bonus that moved Tom Sawyer to the top of my to-read list. ( )
  dougcornelius | May 15, 2018 |
It has taken me nearly a lifetime to finally read this classic. I can see how it would be more appreciated if read in my teen years or younger. The reason I had never read it is because I was so familiar with the story line via TV. In fact, as I read the book I was never surprised and remembered each of the turning events. Still, I am glad I finally read it. Twain did a good job spinning a yarn (and that's what it felt like) and using the country speak of the times. I am hesitant to leap into the Huck Finn sequel, however, for the same reasons it took me so long to get Tom Sawyer. ( )
  LJCain | Apr 25, 2018 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer. "TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,297,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible