The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin…

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin Classics) (original 1876; edition 2006)

by Mark Twain (Author), Guy Cardwell (Editor), John Seelye (Introduction)

Member:stephhwilliams
Title:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Other authors:Guy Cardwell (Editor), John Seelye (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: Reissue, 272 pages

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)

Unread books (1,018)

English (222)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (241)
I've returned to the river.

A year ago I spent a weekend on the Missouri River attending a Writers Workshop. In typical Chris Blocker fashion, I thought it prudent to read something riverish. I selected Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi. Thus a new association was born and once I decided I was returning to the river, one of my first considerations was what Mark Twain book I'd read this year.

I was hesitant to get into the Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn story-arc. I had a feeling I'd be underwhelmed or offended. I was leaning toward a different selection, but at the last minute, I decided to go with a classic. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer wasn't that bad—not as bad as I imagined it could be—but it certainly didn't impress me too much. Part of the issue is that Tom Sawyer feels slightly underdeveloped—ideas are used seemingly haphazardly and are recycled throughout the story. And part of the issue is that some of the novels better moments have become cliché. I recognize that Twain was likely the originator of some of these ideas—at least he was probably the prominent figure who introduced them into the American narrative. But I've seen enough Our Gang to know that children who play pirates will find treasure, children who fake death will convince everyone, and that little boys will always win a kiss from the girl of their dreams. It's not Twain's fault that his story has been resurrected repeatedly, but the familiarity minimized any sense of wonder and adventure I might have had had I come across this book 130 years ago.

In a different time, this book may have had a much different impact on me. This is a strong story of adventure from a unique child-like perspective. Those who enjoy a little swashbuckling or hijinx will likely eat this story up like blackberry pie. (Why blackberry pie? I don't know. It just feels like something I'd expect from these characters.) With a different person, there would've been different results: I'm not one for adventure; I was never a child. It's a good, simple story, very much plot-driven, but I didn't see much else to it.

Sadly, this book didn't hold to the river like I thought it would. There are a few mentions, a few explorations, but I have the notion that Huckleberry Finn is the more river-centric of the two. Will I explore the river someday with Huck? I don't know. I probably should, but I have the same hesitance I did with Tom Sawyer. Maybe I'll leave it up to the river. If it's able to pull me back another time, I'll consider it. ( )
  chrisblocker | Oct 17, 2017 |
I'm re-reading this for the first time since I was a young'un.

Mark Twain is a brilliant writer. So intelligent. The turn of phrase shockingly creative.

I'm laughing and grinning like a crazy person reading this. I had forgotten how hilarious the dynamic was between Tom and his poor 'ol Aunt Polly.

*This story is unadaptable to television or stage. Leave it alone. Nobody has come close to showing Mark Twain's subtle storytelling humor.

*I take umbrage when people try to ban Mark Twain's works because of the use of the word 'nigger.' It's a word and it's part of our history and it's use in the book is perfectly accurate. It's not sensational or crass but simply required to create the time in which Twain so perfectly created. Choose to read about history. Don't choose to be upset at a long dead author for bringing to life amazing characters and events. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
One point less for mocking Christianity ( )
  leandrod | Oct 4, 2017 |
Bevat : De avonturen van Tom Sawyer
Tom Sawyer in het buitenland
Tom Sawyer detective
  Marjoles | Sep 26, 2017 |
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer depicts the life of an imaginative, troublesome boy in the American West of the 1840s. The novel is intensely dramatic in its construction, taking the form of a series of comic vignettes based on Tom's exploits. These vignettes are linked together by a darker story that grows in importance throughout the novel—Tom's life-threatening entanglement with the murderer Injun Joe. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
Preface
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try pleasantly to remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
"TOM!" No answer."TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it—namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible