The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (original 1876; edition 2003)

by Mark Twain, Patrick Fraley (Narrator)

16,731192106 (3.87)326
Member:mellowyellow
Title:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Patrick Fraley (Narrator)
Info:BBC Audiobooks America (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:American, read 2013, kindle, amazon

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)

English (176)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (192)
Diversão em estado puro. Nenhuma grande mensagem por trás. Leitura rápida, fácil e absolutamente recomendada, relembrando as superstições e juramentos solenes da infância: como você sempre foi tão injustamente tratado como enquanto criança e como o mundo seria sempre um lugar melhor se você pudesse fugir. Mark Twain, de resto, liquidou sumariamente com o personagem-título em "Huckleberry Finn", ao usá-lo como um símbolo da sociedade contemporânea e de suas respectivas, abstrusas e até condenáveis regras, como a escravidão. ("As Aventuras de Tom Sawyer" foi publicado pela primeira vez em 1876, mas se passa na década de 1840). Tom Sawyer é a epítome do "bad boy" simpático graças às coisas boas, criativas e imaginativas que faz. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
I could stand to read this again, give it another shot. I just didn't like Tom or his adventures nearly as much as I did Huck and his. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
2008, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: from BookDepository.com
Who could forget the pranks, the adventures, the sheer fun of Tom Sawyer? From Tom's sly trickery with the whitewashed fence to his and Becky Thatcher's calamities in Bat Cave, the enjoyment never ends. Just what did boys do in a small town during the mid-1800s, a time when there were no televisions, no arcades, and no videos? They whitewashed fences, floated down rivers, traded marbles, formed secret societies, smoked pipes, and, on occasion, managed to attend their own funerals. Yes, they may have been a bit mischievous, but as Aunt Polly said of Tom when she believed him to be dead, "He was the best-hearted boy that ever was." Aunt Polly's sentiments reveal one of Mark Twain's cardinal philosophies: In this deceitful and infirm world, innocence can be found only in the heart of a boy. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a humorous and nostalgic book depicting the carefree days of boyhood in a small Midwestern town. The characters are based on Twain's schoolmates and the town, Hannibal, Missouri, is where Twain grew up.

My Review:
Grover Gardner does a fabulous job of narration, and I enjoyed revisiting Tom’s adventures – I don’t think Twain grows old, and I expect this would “blamed pleased him.” My favourite part of the book is the last third: the ordeal in the cave. Endearing snapshots include the whitewashed fence, Tom and Becky eating their “wedding cake” in the case to ward off starvation, and Huck’s absolute hostility towards shoes and all things “reg’lar”:

“It ain't for me; I ain't used to it. The widder's good to me, and friendly; but I can't stand them ways. She makes me get up just at the same time every morning; she makes me wash, they comb me all to thunder; she won't let me sleep in the woodshed; I got to wear them blamed clothes that just smothers me, Tom; they don't seem to any air git through 'em, somehow; and they're so rotten nice that I can't set down, nor lay down, nor roll around anywher's … I can't chaw. I got to wear shoes all Sunday. The widder eats by a bell; she goes to bed by a bell; she gits up by a bell—everything's so awful reg'lar a body can't stand it.” (Ch 35) ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Apr 4, 2015 |
Woww! ( )
  tajuddinabd | Mar 26, 2015 |
From this novel I have learned that one can be the person who opens the door to someone in need in a time of desperation and changes his or her life for best. This message is portrayed by the characters of Will and Mr. Tom because when in need Mr. Tom provided Willie with a home, food, and most importantly of love and care he had never received from his mother. This novel contain historical episodes. For example Zach dies in an air raids. If one was not careful could die at any moment. Also, women were looked down to and were not expected to get a good eduction. This book is consider a classic in the literature. The way the story is written transport the reader to each scene. ( )
  Sluper1 | Mar 2, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
"TOM!" No answer."TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

The ISBN 1402714602 is for the Sterling Publishing Unabridged Classics edtion of Tom Sawyer.
If you own a film edition belonging to this work, please consider specifying the director. If you own a book edition, please consider specifying the author.
ISBN 0528823663 is a Rand McNally Illustrated Edition of Tom Sawyer.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.  I enjoyed this book because it made me laugh and it's is just an all around fun story to read.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039563, 0141321105, 0141808748, 0141194936

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible