The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (original 1876; edition 2003)

by Mark Twain, Patrick Fraley (Narrator)

15,522None115 (3.88)257
Member:mellowyellow
Title:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Patrick Fraley (Narrator)
Info:BBC Audiobooks America (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:American, read 2013, kindle, amazon

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (1876)

19th century (320) adventure (434) America (78) American (242) American literature (454) boys (76) childhood (77) children (161) children's (176) children's fiction (71) children's literature (139) classic (873) classic fiction (73) Classic Literature (94) classics (699) ebook (76) fiction (1,931) historical fiction (100) humor (167) literature (435) Mark Twain (179) Mississippi River (110) Missouri (124) novel (275) own (81) read (202) to-read (99) Twain (122) USA (95) young adult (140)

English (153)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  All languages (166)
This was okay. I really found it slow and dragging at times just like Huck Finn. I didn't really like Tom. Huck Finn is a more funny storyteller. I think this is more of a boy's book and also good for the big screen. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Apr 12, 2014 |
I have heard about this American classic for so long, and I love other Twain books, I thought it was going to be the end all of end alls, but I was disappointed. ( )
  juliettehendrikx | Mar 26, 2014 |
Looking over the reviews of this book I noticed that they swing from being 'a classic account of boys on the loose in frontier America' to 'I want to punch Tom Sawyer in the face.' One reviewer has commented on how is mum owned a dog-eared copy of this book from before he was born to after he left home to go to college (and if he doesn't want it, I'll be more than happy to take it off his hands) which made me realise how our parent's taste in literature can and does differ from our own. I grew up knowing about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, but I have never actually read the books, and to be honest, never even realised that there was a book wholly dedicated to Tom Sawyer until a couple of years ago, and based on my parents collection of books (namely Hard Science-fiction, which is not surprising for a father who is a physicist, and detective fiction dominated by Agatha Christie) the works of Mark Twain never really entered my sphere of influence.
However I recently picked up a collection of his works and decided to see what these stories were about, and I must admit that I actually quite enjoyed this tale of mischievous boyhood. Seriously, letting the entire town grieve for your death and then rocking up at your funeral really does take some guts, and I must admit that it would have been something I would have loved to have done when I was a kid. In fact, the impression that I get from this story is that it is simply Samuel Clements (using a psuedonym) recounting a lot of the mischief he and his friends got up to as children but rolling it all into one character so as to protect the guilty.
There are two things that really stand out to me about this book and the first is that I found it very readable, which is something that I generally do not expect from 19th Century literature. True Clements does get bogged down into detail, but there is enough action to keep us interested, and the banter among the main characters it really enjoyable to follow, particularly when Sawyer convinces young Becky Thatcher to become engaged to him, explaining to her what engagement is from a conservative, respectful, point of view. The second thing that stood out was that it gives us a very clear view of a time gone by, an age of innocence in the American mid-west. In a way it takes us away from the troubles of today and puts us in a world where things did not seem as bad.
Granted, there is a murder, and there are troubles with children getting lost in caves, but even then, we glimpse a more innocent time in the United States, though there are a few interesting quotes, such as Negroes always being liars (which raises the question of whether Samuel Clements was a southern sympathiser, despite the book being written after the Civil War, though the events are flagged as being set prior to the said war). I also see a number of influences on children's literature of today, not to say that people didn't write books for children back then, but he does say at the beginning that while this book is written for boys, he does hope that adults would enjoy this story as well.
I must finish off about the story of whitewashing the fence, which is the first event in the book. Poor Tom has got himself into trouble, and has been punished by having to paint the fence, something he does not want to do, but somehow he manages to get others to do it in his stead. He does this trick (I believe) by asking somebody to pay him for the privilege, and Clements then points out afterwards that if we are paid to do something, then it is considered work, and is dull and boring, but if we pay to do something, then it is entertainment and we do it with gusto, so his theory is that if we get people to pay to do the things we don't want to do, then we will get things done a lot better and a lot quicker, than we would otherwise (and there have been movies made about how people pay to become ranchers), but I suspect that this is something that only foolish boys would do, and us adults are (I hope) probably a lot smarter than this, though I do actually wonder about it sometimes (such as celebrities paying to sleep out on the streets, seriously, if you really want to experience poverty, then give up all your riches - don't give it up for a short time, that, to me, is little more than a publicity stunt). ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Jan 15, 2014 |
It is truly remarkable that Twain's classic, and his greater masterpiece, Huck Finn, remain on recommended reading lists for today's school students. The adventures of Tom and Huck run anathema to progressive, pedagogic wisdom, which dictates that in order to lead a fulfilling life, one has to attend the controlled boredom called public schooling. When Tom does manage to drag himself out of bed, he barely lasts until lunchtime, captured for a few hours by the charm of attractive Becky Thatcher. Huck possesses the good sense to not bother going in the first place.
Our country's sorry ship of state would align itself properly if our children be allowed to emulate these timeless heroes' quest for self knowledge and real learning. Let us begin by eliminating compulsory incarceration in order to restore the power of individual, critical thinking. ( )
  richestgirls | Dec 8, 2013 |
I tried reading this back in grade school and got stuck on the dialect. Either I have gotten better at reading dialect or this one did not have as much. Anyway, the story was actually more fun than I would have thought and was less episodic than many novels from the same time period, but I still would have liked a tighter story. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 20, 2013 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

To MY WIFE, this book is affectionately dedicated
"TOM!" No answer."TOM!" No answer. "What's gone with that boy, I wonder? You TOM!" No answer.
This is the main work for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Please do not combine it with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Tom Sawyer is about a young mischievous boy who has many adventures. This story is about boyhood and growing up. Although some of the adventures can become very serious, this story is filled with humorous situations.  I enjoyed this book because it made me laugh and it's is just an all around fun story to read.

From the famous episodes of the whitewashed fence and the ordeal in the cave to the trial of Injun Joe, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is redolent of life in the Mississippi River towns in which Twain spent his own youth. A somber undercurrent flows through the high humor and unabashed nostalgia of the novel, however, for beneath the innocence of childhood lie the inequities of adult reality—base emotions and superstitions, murder and revenge, starvation and slavery. In his introduction, noted Twain scholar John Seelye considers Twain’s impact on American letters and discusses the balance between humorous escapades and serious concern that is found in much of Twain’s writing.

This new edition includes a new text and, for the first time, explanatory notes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A boy in the river town of Hannibal, Missouri runs off and has a lot of adventures.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039563, 0141321105, 0141808748, 0141194936

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible