My Love Story by Tina Turner

by Tina Turner (Author)

Member:flying_monkeys
Title:My Love Story
Authors:Tina Turner (Author)
Info:New York : Atria Books, 2018.
Collections:Read, Diversity, Borrow(ed)
Rating:*****
Tags:biography, by Women of Color, 2018

My Love Story by Tina Turner

No tags.

English (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (2)
I dare you to read My Love Story and not admire this woman. Talent, heart, perseverance -- she has true grit and the character many of us lack nowadays. Constantly tested throughout her life, she never gave up her dreams and she never surrendered her Self.

If asked to think about the music from my youth* (ages 9-12), three artists immediately come to mind: Whitney. Janet. Tina. All three women differ greatly from each other in just about every way -- from their upbringing to their voice, their sound, their lyrics, their public image. Yet all had a powerful impact on my young mind. These 3 women are quintessential 80s to me. And I also credit all 3 for flaming my young rebel spark.

However, I was unfamiliar with the women behind the artists. That is, until I watched the movie**, What's Love Got to Do With It. I didn't know at the time it was based on Tina Turner's own book, I, Tina. So, I had an idea about her early life, tribulations and triumphs. After reading, My Love Story, it's apparent the movie took creative liberties in delivering their story of Tina Turner.

What you'll read about in My Love Story is Tina's drive to achieve all that she dreamed she can be. She doesn't shy away from her mistakes. She doesn't gloss over her struggles. And she's not afraid to share her deepest vulnerabilities.

Structured around her relationship with Erwin Bach, their wedding, which Tina describes as the happiest day of her life, and the subsequent deterioration of her health. The narrative is pretty much chronological from her childhood to her early romances to meeting Ike Turner to leaving him to having to battle to reclaim her career to the hard work she put in to be the artist she always wanted to be.

She shares the stories behind her so-called comeback (though, she reminds the reader, she was never actually away) to the boosts she received from other artists like Cher and David Bowie.

She also mentions Beyoncé as a young artist much like herself. (I can totally see it!) And I respect Tina's view of her image, one she was quite deliberate about creating, one of being sexy without being threatening to other women. She said she's sexy without being sexual.

And, evidenced in her relationships with people like David Bowie and Oprah, Tina embodies the most valuable aspect of networking: true connection. So much of social media, online communities, and even in-person events are saturated by a gimme, gimme mindset. I really enjoyed reading about a legendary rock star who first and foremost creates relationships based on genuine interest and reciprocity rather than from a "What can this person do for me or my career" place.

Re-reading this "review" I realize I'm gushing, but this is a woman who deserves to be gushed over. I truly regret never getting to see her perform, but I'm thankful for her willingness to share of her personal life, to let us see the woman behind the star. As usual, Tina did not disappoint.

One disclaimer: The final chapter, about her son, is devastating. Be warned. I was a sobbing fool when I closed the book.

5 stars

*Naturally, if given a few more minutes to reminisce, other names also come to mind: Joan Jett, Taylor Dayne, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, Gloria Estefan, Bonnie Tyler, Heart, Pat Benatar. (This does not include my late 80s obsession with a little group known as NKOTB, but that's a whole other thing. lol)

**Or decades later, in 2018, when I watched the documentary Whitney about Whitney Houston's life and death. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Jan 7, 2019 |
"There's always been an emotion in my voice because it reached back to the life I was living. When there were tears onstage, it wasn't Hollywood, it was real."
When I was a little girl, I loved taking chances.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,579,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible