The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

The Age of Innocence (original 1920; edition 1998)

by Edith Wharton

9,658227299 (4.03)5 / 943
Member:jlkutte
Title:The Age of Innocence
Authors:Edith Wharton
Info:Scribner (1998), Edition: 1st Scribner Paperback Fiction Ed, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (1920)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (readerbabe1984)
    The Bostonians by Henry James (jbvm)
    The American by Henry James (2below)
    2below: Similar plot and themes--both deal with the issue of being an outsider. I find James' prose a bit more vigorous than Wharton's.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both look at love and marriage in the upper classes of New York society (however, at different time periods)
    The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: Man engaged to conventional society finds himself attracted to an outcast who challenges the rigidity and hypocrisy of the era.
    The Europeans by Henry James (thatguyzero)
    The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West (amanda4242)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (readerbabe1984)
1920s (13)

English (220)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (227)
A must read ( )
  Sixtravelbugs | Mar 11, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: The Age of Innocence Series: ------ Author: Edith Wharton Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Genre: Classic Pages: 305 Synopsis: Newland Archer marries one woman while loving another. And while the ending isn't a horrible double murder/suicide, [ha] it is just as empty and meaningless. My Thoughts: I really enjoyed reading this. Wharton was a master wordsmith and her skill at weaving a story together just kept me tied to the pages. Each weekend that I'd read my allotted 25% was something that I looked forward to. It has been awhile since I've had a book like this. With that being said... This has to be one of the saddest, emptiest books I've read in quite some time as well. Newland is tied down with Convention, hoisted up on a cross of Ideals, that are based on Nothing. There is nothing worse than Empty Ideals. It is like seeing someone wrapped in chains and being thrown into a pool of piranhas. One little difference and those Empty Ideals can be Ideals and those chains can become Life Lines, offering escape from those piranhas. Bleh. As much as I enjoyed this, I don't think I'll be reading any more by Wharton. I do not want to fill my Mind with this depressing stuff. I also know I used a lot of Caps. I'm just in that kind of mood right now. I could write a lot about this book, but you know what? I don't want to. The above encapsulates everything I need to know so in 10 years I can remember why I didn't read anymore of Wharton. I still recommend this book. Weird, isn't it? " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This must be Wharton's best. Just perfect. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Pulitzer Prize winner of 1921 is a portrait of New York on the precipice of change. Old New York has it's rules and society but things are changing as the people cling to their ways. Newland Archer is marrying May Welland. Her cousin, Countess Ellen Olenska returns to the US from a bad marriage with a plan to divorce but she is persuaded not because it isn't the way it is done. Newland champion's Ellen at his wife to be wish and his own desire and soon he is on the outside of all his and her relatives because of his support of Ellen when the rest of New York society withdraws their support of Ellen and wish her to return to her foreign husband. A crisis of decision is interrupted by Newland's wife's clever moves. Here is a quote that I liked, "For such a summer dreams it was too late; but surely not for a quiet harvest of friendship, of comradeship, in the blessed hush of her nearness. ( )
  Kristelh | Oct 28, 2016 |
I'm calling it quits at page 39, although I don't like having unfinished books on my shelf. I'm disappointed, but I just can't get into this book. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
So how can Edith Wharton’s The Age of Innocence possibly be the greatest New York novel of all time? Well, it is. It builds itself, obsessively, out of all the essential New York themes.

The appearance of such a book as "The Age of Innocence" by an American is a matter for public rejoicing. It is one of the best novels of the twentieth century and looks like a permanent addition to literature.

Wharton, Edithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orgel, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shore, StephenPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a January evening of the early seventies, Christine Nilsson was singing in Faust at the Academy of Music in New York.
And he felt himself oppressed by this creation of factitious purity, so cunningly manufactured by a conspiracy of mothers and aunts and grandmothers and long-dead ancestresses, because it was supposed to be what he wanted, what he had a right to, in order that he might exercise his lordly pleasure in smashing it like an image made of snow.
It was the old New York way of taking life" without effusion of blood": the way of people who dreaded scandal more than disease, who placed decency above courage, and who considered that nothing was more ill-bred than "scenes", except the behavior of those who gave rise to them.
When he thought of Ellen Olenska it was abstractly, serenely, as one might think of some imaginary beloved in a book or a picture: she had become the composite vision of all that he had missed.
That terrifying product of the social system he belonged to and believed in, the young girl who knew nothing and expected everything, looked back at him like a stranger through May Welland's familiar features; and once more it was borne in on him that marriage was not the safe anchorage he had been taught to think, but a voyage on uncharted seas.

In the conformist, closed world of upper-class New York, Newland Archer anticipates his marriage to May Welland, a young girl "who knew nothing and expected everything". Into this ordered arrangement bursts May's cousin, Ellen, the mysterious and exotic Countess Olenska, on the run from an appallingly unhappy marriage. She alternately captivates and outrages the New York milieu and, as Newland's sympathy for her deepens into love, he not only gains insight into the brutality of society's treatment of women, but discovers the real anguish of loving outside its rules. Critical, compassionate, and acutely perceptive about both the individual and the defensiveness of society, The Age of Innocence is perhaps Edith Wharton's finest work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 159308143X, Paperback)

Somewhere in this book, Wharton observes that clever liars always come up with good stories to back up their fabrications, but that really clever liars don't bother to explain anything at all. This is the kind of insight that makes The Age of Innocence so indispensable. Wharton's story of the upper classes of Old New York, and Newland Archer's impossible love for the disgraced Countess Olenska, is a perfectly wrought book about an era when upper-class culture in this country was still a mixture of American and European extracts, and when "society" had rules as rigid as any in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

Newland Archer begins to question the values of high society in Victorian New York when he finds himself torn between two very different women--his proper young fiancee and her exotic cousin.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438820, 1909438839

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible