La edad de la inocencia by Edith Wharton

La edad de la inocencia (original 1920; edition 2003)

by Edith Wharton

9,440226309 (4.03)5 / 918
Title:La edad de la inocencia
Authors:Edith Wharton
Info:RBA Colecciones
Collections:Club de Lectura Curso 2012/2013
Tags:novela de costumbres, romántica.

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (1920)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (readerbabe1984)
    The Bostonians by Henry James (jbvm)
    The American by Henry James (2below)
    2below: Similar plot and themes--both deal with the issue of being an outsider. I find James' prose a bit more vigorous than Wharton's.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (roby72)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both look at love and marriage in the upper classes of New York society (however, at different time periods)
    The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: Man engaged to conventional society finds himself attracted to an outcast who challenges the rigidity and hypocrisy of the era.
    The Europeans by Henry James (thatguyzero)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (readerbabe1984)
1920s (14)

English (218)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (225)
I'm calling it quits at page 39, although I don't like having unfinished books on my shelf. I'm disappointed, but I just can't get into this book. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
There's a disease afoot in 1870's Old New York named society, of which one Newland Archer has caught an incurable strain. The warning signs? An impending marriage that you feel the need to stress isn't arranged but oh, how convenient it is; the gentlemanly contemplation of a condescending proprietorship of your betrothed as an attractive commodity; falling in 'love' with someone you don't know... at all... because she happens to present something different and you happen to be bored with all the dust gathering about your person as of late. Treatments to at least resume quality of life? Bring on the leeches!!! Wait, no, what?!

Phew! That escalated almost as quickly as a late 19th century doctor to bloodletting. Annnd it's out of my system. Ahem.

I like historical fiction. I also like several classic authors who wrote during and/or of the Victorian era. Because of this, I didn't find a growing love of Edith Wharton's writing to be a surprising denouement whilst reading [b:The Buccaneers|856190|The Buccaneers|Edith Wharton|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347659567s/856190.jpg|1483593]. I was interested to see if this burgeoning would continue throughout other books, however. It has.

What I most enjoy about historical fiction is that it offers a enhanced perspective of the present; I think this is one of the reasons I enjoy Wharton's writing as much as I do. She seems to fill her stories to the brim with relevance whether it be emotional, political, societal, gendered, etc.

In The Age of Innocence which was alluded to, interestingly, as a counterpart to Henry James' Portrait of a Lady in my edition's introduction, there really isn't a host of likable characters. Wharton is writing of high society [read wealthy, or pretending to be, snobs who are dead bored of themselves and everyone around them but petrified of new blood and scandals - though they sure love to gossip about both]. However, Wharton's style gifts her unlikable characters with an understandable air. Enough that a reader can follow the all-too-convoluted roundabouts of who is related to who, who's marrying who, and what all the Whos think about the Other Whos. This is what kept me reading and kept me enjoying what I was reading rather than any particular loyalty of feeling towards the characters.

On the surface, Newland Archer is a immature/naive product of his social circle who has ideas that lean modern but prefers the practice of old lace high society and a wife he can shape as he sees fit. From Wharton's pen, however, he becomes a person suffused with human need like any other.

“The taste of the usual was like cinders in his mouth, and there were moments when he felt as if he were being buried alive under his future.”

I love that her writing proffers that balance. That we do see thought process emerge from Archer, that the narrative is not driven simply by his impulse but his struggle with the warring mantles of both duty and impulse. That she offers up a character with nuance that fits his surroundings rather than a characterization of 'male in 1870's NY' though she is still able to capture that societal mindset.

I could continue to ramble at this point; I decided I needed to finish this tonight so I'm hopped up on a good book and I've drunk my body weight in coffee. I think it's more simplistic, and more realistic prior to my impending caffeine crash, to say that Wharton is an author you need to read. Her writing is intelligent yet accessible and her plots offer a wealth to think on. When people talk about seeing the future through the past, they're talking about material like Wharton's books. She does for the all too oft hypocrisy of gendered issues and the futility/arrogance of incestuous societies what Dickens did for Chancery in Bleak House. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
This is a marvellous depiction of New York society during the 1870's when the rigid rules dictated what was expected and acceptable behaviour. The cover of my book suggested torrid romance, i.e. the movie cover, where in essence the strictures of society prevailed. ( )
  HelenBaker | Sep 2, 2016 |
Loved this book. I will say the first week was difficult, I only had 15 minutes at a time to read. Once I was able to sit and read,it was a great book. I loved the writing,and the characters. The ending made me sad,but I understood Newland.
As much as things have changed,have they really? ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Is it truly cowardice to choose the inertia of fantasy over action when any relationship will erode to "dull duty" in the long run? ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
So how can Edith Wharton’s The Age of Innocence possibly be the greatest New York novel of all time? Well, it is. It builds itself, obsessively, out of all the essential New York themes.
The appearance of such a book as "The Age of Innocence" by an American is a matter for public rejoicing. It is one of the best novels of the twentieth century and looks like a permanent addition to literature.

Wharton, Edithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orgel, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raver, LornaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shore, StephenPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a January evening of the early seventies, Christine Nilsson was singing in Faust at the Academy of Music in New York.
And he felt himself oppressed by this creation of factitious purity, so cunningly manufactured by a conspiracy of mothers and aunts and grandmothers and long-dead ancestresses, because it was supposed to be what he wanted, what he had a right to, in order that he might exercise his lordly pleasure in smashing it like an image made of snow.
It was the old New York way of taking life" without effusion of blood": the way of people who dreaded scandal more than disease, who placed decency above courage, and who considered that nothing was more ill-bred than "scenes", except the behavior of those who gave rise to them.
When he thought of Ellen Olenska it was abstractly, serenely, as one might think of some imaginary beloved in a book or a picture: she had become the composite vision of all that he had missed.
"That terrifying product of the social system he belonged to and believed in, the young girl who knew nothing and expected everything, looked back at him like a stranger through May Welland's familiar features; and once more it was borne in on him that marriage was not the safe anchorage he had been taught to think, but a voyage on uncharted seas."

In the conformist, closed world of upper-class New York, Newland Archer anticipates his marriage to May Welland, a young girl "who knew nothing and expected everything". Into this ordered arrangement bursts May's cousin, Ellen, the mysterious and exotic Countess Olenska, on the run from an appallingly unhappy marriage. She alternately captivates and outrages the New York milieu and, as Newland's sympathy for her deepens into love, he not only gains insight into the brutality of society's treatment of women, but discovers the real anguish of loving outside its rules. Critical, compassionate, and acutely perceptive about both the individual and the defensiveness of society, The Age of Innocence is perhaps Edith Wharton's finest work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 159308143X, Paperback)

Somewhere in this book, Wharton observes that clever liars always come up with good stories to back up their fabrications, but that really clever liars don't bother to explain anything at all. This is the kind of insight that makes The Age of Innocence so indispensable. Wharton's story of the upper classes of Old New York, and Newland Archer's impossible love for the disgraced Countess Olenska, is a perfectly wrought book about an era when upper-class culture in this country was still a mixture of American and European extracts, and when "society" had rules as rigid as any in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

Newland Archer begins to question the values of high society in Victorian New York when he finds himself torn between two very different women--his proper young fiancee and her exotic cousin.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible