The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh…

The River Cottage Meat Book

by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

The section on preserving meat is rife with references to the River Cottage cookbook. Rarely does the rest of the book refer to it (only in a few pointers to recipes in it). But this section consists of a few introductory paragraphs on each subject, and then a reference to the cookbook for the details, over and over. I counted 3 references to it on two facing pages alone. Infuriating!

I suspect that he got near the end of the book and they realized this behemoth was going to outgrow the binding, and cut it. Although less charitable thoughts could be thought. ( )
  joeyreads | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is a favourite of mine, as, thanks to this book, I perfected the art of roasting and cooking meat to a point where my guests are always impressed with what I serve them! All meats are covered (game and otherwise), birds, pork, beef, lamb, etc. The introductory chapters are well worth the read, as they really go into details on the cooking methods, or the ways to cut meat, before moving on to recipes. The book is full of detailled pictures and recipes, and goes way deeper on the subject than the 'River Cottage cookbook'. Well worth having on the cookery shelves if you are a meat-eater. Also, it can be a very fine gift for men who enjoy cooking meat. Highly recommended. ( )
  soniaandree | Apr 24, 2011 |
My reference for roasting ( )
  Woodcat | Jan 8, 2010 |
If meat's your thing. Then so is this book ( )
  BookMarkMe | May 30, 2009 |
Everything you ever wanted to know about meat and game. The guide to different cuts and how to use them is particularly helpful. One of my favourite cookbooks. ( )
  MargoDownUnder | Apr 6, 2009 |

"This book aims to help you find good meat, understand it better, cook it with greater confidence, and eat it with much pleasure. "It first of all covers the basics - everything you'll need to know about choosing the very best raw materials, understanding the different cuts and the cooking techniques associated with each of them. I've then given what I hope are foolproof recipes for 150 meat classics from both British and foreign food cultures - shepherds pie, steak and kidney pie, roast pork with perfect crackling, glazed baked ham, Irish stew, roast grouse with all the trimmings, toad in the hole, oxtail stew; plus definitive, authentic versions of pot au feu, cassoulet, choucroute, steak tartare, coq au vin, bolito misto, pasticcio, jerked pork, feijoida, cozido, curried goat, satay and chilli con carne. "I would like this book to be your first stop on the shelf whether you seek either inspired recipes or technical guidance on any aspect of meat cookery" - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:06 -0400)

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall covers the practical basics of cooking with meat - everything you'll need to know about choosing the best raw materials and understanding the different cuts - before offering recipes for 150 classic dishes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,360,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible