Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:majkia
Title:Cocaine Blues
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Mystery
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, mystery

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    Queen Of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

English (83)  French (1)  All languages (84)
I stumbled upon Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Netflix and quickly watched the whole series. Once I figured out that the series was based off books, I decided to look them up. Although I think this is one of those rare cases where the TV show is better than the books, I still enjoyed this, especially as it seems to give more info on her background than the show does, and I plan on reading the rest of the series to satisfy my need for more of the Phryne Fisher. ( )
  Ashly_Cupit | Aug 16, 2016 |
This was a very different read for me. Quite an intriguing little book. I loved the way the character was introduced in the very first chapter. Being the first book I felt it did get bogged down a touch in the middle as you got to find out more about the character and the time and setting. However certainly picked up pace later on. A very different and enjoyable character. A good light read and I intend to read on to see how the series beds in. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 27, 2016 |
I picked this up because I love the TV version. The book is very different. The plot is similar thought not exactly the same. The characters are slightly different though nothing too shocking; although no Collins, Jack's character is not as fleshed out, there are a larger number of villains, and there is a female officer.

All-in-all it was a quick read and fairly well done. I will read another, see if the books will pull me in as the show did. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a fun read to escape from the harsh thrillers. I found it to be a very well-written novel with interesting characters. Although a light, short read, the subject matters were not too light but quite serious. Looking forward to reading the next Phryne Fisher novel. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
I finally got around to reading the first installment in the Phryne Fisher series. I loved reading how some of my favorite characters met. The story was fun and interesting. It's probably the best in the series I've read so far. The ending was slightly predictable if you were paying careful attention, but the way Greenwood unfolds it, you still enjoy the resolution even if you know it's coming.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,363,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible