Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:majkia
Title:Cocaine Blues
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Mystery
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, mystery

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Queen Of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)
    Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)

English (76)  French (1)  All languages (77)
This was a fun read to escape from the harsh thrillers. I found it to be a very well-written novel with interesting characters. Although a light, short read, the subject matters were not too light but quite serious. Looking forward to reading the next Phryne Fisher novel. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
2.5**

Phryne Fisher was born in poverty, but is now a wealthy heiress. After she quickly and discretely solves a theft of diamonds at a party, she’s asked by another guest if she might be willing to try to find out what is ailing his daughter. Seems every time Lydia goes to her husband’s home in Australia she takes ill, but as soon as she returns to England she quickly recovers. Bored with the social life in and around her father’s country estate, and equally bored with the “charitable ladies” championing various causes in London, Phryne accepts the assignment and sets sail for Australia.

Set in 1920s Australia, this is a quick cozy mystery introducing a very different amateur sleuth. Phryne is wealthy, beautiful, always fashionably dressed, a connoisseur of good cocktails, and an enthusiastic bed partner. She’s also intelligent, resourceful, quick-thinking, and apparently fearless.

So what’s not to like? The plot is thin and very slow, and I didn’t particularly like Phryne at the outset. Greenwood could have spent a little more time on the characters and how they are connected; I especially wanted more info on Dr MacMillan. She could also have spent a little less time describing Phryne’s undergarments (or lack thereof). And a number of clues / issues were just ignored – neither explained nor resolved.

The action finally picked up in the second half of the book and by the end I was interested in Phryne and how she would solve the case. I also liked several of her associates – Dr MacMillan, Dot (her maid), Bert and Cec (cab drivers) – and would hope that they would make continued appearances in the rest of the series. I’m sure I’ll try at least one more in the series, and who knows, I may find Phryne as addicting as cocaine.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
4.5 stars

What a fun read. Full of wit, Phryne Fisher is a woman people shouldn't want to mess with. She's ready to take on the world and she has enough money and gusto to do it. The ex-flapper seems to be unflappable.

I'd definitely put her on a case if I needed to.

I had eyed Kerry Greenwood's name for a while now and after seeing an interview with her, decided to pick up this book. So glad I did. ( )
  EleniK | Dec 25, 2015 |
The first book in the Phryne Fisher mystery series set in 1920's Melbourne Australia.
The book had a rough start, the dialog and characters felt flat and forced to me, and the main character of Phryne never really did feel real to me, a bit too good to be true sort of a thing. There seemed to be nothing she didn't excel at, flying, driving as good a professional race car driver, interacting with the “lower” class and criminal element, it just felt to much and to unbelievable most of the time. I ended up liking her far more than I thought I would by the end of the book though.

The main mystery felt a bit far fetched as well, but it was well paced, well plotted and in the end was enough fun I forgave it it's flaws.

A rough start with a fun finish, I will be checking out the next book in the series for sure. ( )
  Kellswitch | Nov 23, 2015 |
I did the reverse of most people and watched the show first, now I'm reading the books. I loved the Phryne in the book as much as I like the one on the show. I definitely plan on listening to the rest of the series. The amount of period detail regarding abortions, life on the street, dress, Victoria Hospital and the list goes on and on. Phryne is smart and fun and I love the secondary characters; Dot, Cess, Burt, and Jones in particular. Even knowing who had done it from the beginning didn't ruin it for me. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,132,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible