Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Cocaine Blues (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:majkia
Title:Cocaine Blues
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Mystery
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ebook, mystery

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

English (50)  French (1)  All languages (51)
Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood is the first in her Phryne Fisher series. After solving a case of high society theft, Phryne is approached by a concerned father who would like her to journey to Australia and check on his daughter who he feels is in trouble. Phryne arrives in Melbourne and immediately is involved in locating a seedy abortionist, tracking cocaine dealers and investigating a case of apparent poisoning.

As the first book in the series, the mysteries were not as important as setting the scene and introducing the characters. This is a very visual book, and 1920’s Melbourne comes to life with richly drawn settings, clothes and food. Phryne herself is wildly exuberant and displays a strong passion for life. She takes control of most situations and I found her to be someone that I enjoyed reading about. It is obvious that the author thoroughly enjoys writing about the roaring twenties and her exciting flapper character.

These will be great books to turn to when I need some light-hearted adventure and glamour. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Nov 19, 2014 |
Decided to read this since I started watching the television show. It's quite different, but very delightful nonetheless. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
A father's concern for his daughter's welfare is the impetus for the Honourable Phryne Fisher's return to her native Australia. Although her father is titled now, that wasn't always the case. Phryne is more than capable of mixing with both upper and lower classes. Phryne's discreet investigation into Lydia Andrews' marriage and health is sidetracked by her accidental involvement with a Russian family searching for the King of Snow – a ruthless cocaine dealer.

I had seen the television adaptation before reading the book. I like the television series so I was predisposed to like the book. It's a little more risque than I prefer, but it never exceeded what I can tolerate. There aren't many historical mystery series set in Australia, and the unusual location will draw me back from time to time. ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 10, 2014 |
Better than the television series, which is very good. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Lighter than air historical mystery about a lady detective in 1920's Australia, complete with jazz, sex and fancy cars. This is the first in the series, on which the TV series now showing on PBS is based. Fun and frivolous. ( )
  annbury | Aug 9, 2014 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

110 wanted2 pay11 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible